|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Byron not tell Lena that Joe Brown is actually Lucas Burch?
(a) Because he does not want her making a fool of herself in front of the whole town.
(b) Because he wants Lena to stop poking around in things that are not her business.
(c) Because he wants Lena to return home.
(d) Because he wants her to like him.
2. Why does Christmas quit his job at the mill?
(a) He got a better offer from another mill.
(b) He is bored with the work at the mill.
(c) He is leaving town.
(d) He and Brown are partners in the whiskey business.
3. What does Mr. McEachern make Christmas do later in the day after the punishment?
(a) He makes Christmas kneel on the floor by his bed to pray.
(b) He makes Christmas stay in his room for the rest of the weekend.
(c) He makes Christmas vow that he will do better.
(d) He makes Christmas apologize.
4. As Byron escorts Lena through the crowd in town talking about the fire, what does he not want Lena to hear?
(a) That Lucas Burch was murdered.
(b) That Hightower was murdered.
(c) That Joe Christmas was murdered.
(d) That Miss Burden was murdered
5. Byron takes Lena to a _______________ so she can spend the night.
(a) bed and breakfast
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the townspeople know that Mrs. Hightower is on the verge of a breakdown?
2. What does Christmas take from Mrs. McEachern's secret hiding place?
3. What does Christmas do when he earns some more money?
4. Why does Joe Christmas refrain from beating Joe Brown when he could have easily killed him the night in the cabin?
5. Christmas walks into the woods and reaches a point by a small stream where he ___________________.
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)