|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Byron not tell Lena that Joe Brown is actually Lucas Burch?
(a) Because he wants Lena to stop poking around in things that are not her business.
(b) Because he wants her to like him.
(c) Because he wants Lena to return home.
(d) Because he does not want her making a fool of herself in front of the whole town.
2. Why has Lena left Doane's Mill?
(a) Because she does not like anybody there.
(b) Because it will soon be a ghost town.
(c) Because she lost her job.
(d) Because she was evicted.
3. Why do the two men in the wagon, Armstid and Winterbottom, give Lena a ride?
(a) So she can find Lucas
(b) So she can give them directions
(c) So she can pay them for the ride
(d) So she can rest awhile
4. What does Christmas do after he awakens?
(a) He goes to a small store nearby to buy food for breakfast.
(b) He decides to just spend the day daydreaming at the stream.
(c) He cooks the fish he has caught.
(d) He writes some letters that he has been been delaying.
5. What do Christmas and Brown call work at the mill after they quit?
(b) "nigger's work"
(c) "too damn hard"
(d) "a real back breaker"
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Hightower wanted to come to Jefferson originally?
2. Why does Christmas decide to sleep in the stables instead of the cabin?
3. What is Lena's hometown?
4. Lena asks Byron if Joe Brown has a _________ by his mouth.
5. This chapter goes back in time to provide the reader with information about events. This technique is called _________________.
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)