|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mrs. Archer's arrival, why does Bertha begin spending time with Latimer?
2. During his travels, what would permit Latimer to move on?
3. Where does the second part of The Lifted Veil start?
4. What mistake does Latimer make in asking Bertha if she will love him when they are married?
5. Latimer dies in what city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the phrenologist's study of Latimer. Historically, what does the study of phrenology show? How does this examination change Latimer's thoughts about himself?
Essay Topic 2
We find that although Latimer wants to read Betha's thoughts, once he is able to do so he wishes he couldn't. What impact does the ability, and inability, to read Bertha's thoughts have on their relationship? Hint: Answer this in two parts- before he can read them and after he can read them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of Latimer's gift to Bertha. Be sure to include the symbolism and foreshadowing that the opal represents.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)