|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Latimer's vision of Prague, what city does Latimer try to "see"?
2. How does Latimer feel about what is revealed to him when he uses his second psychic ability?
3. During his death, Latimer thinks of what natural images?
4. What happens when his father begins to speak during Latimer's second vision?
5. Why is Latimer lonely in Switzerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events leading up to Latimer's father's death and the change between Latimer and Bertha.
2. What do readers find out about what Latimer will go though throughout his life?
3. Describe Bertha's birthday events.
4. Why is Latimer attracted to Bertha?
5. How does Alfred's death change the relationship between Latimer and his father?
6. Describe what Latimer's father does before deciding what to do about Latimer's education.
7. Why do you think Eliot gives Latimer psychic powers?
8. How does Latimer hint to his ability to read minds during the walk with Bertha?
9. Describe Latimer's first vision.
10. What do readers learn about Latimer's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two of the following "relationships" in detail:
-Latimer and Alfred.
-Latimer and Bertha.
-Latimer and his mother.
-Latimer and his father.
-Latimer and Charles.
-Alfred and Bertha.
Essay Topic 2
Latimer lacks trust in humanity. Discuss:
- Where you believe this mistrust stemmed from.
- Why you believe he continues to hold onto it.
- What you think needs to happen for him to trust again.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between Latimer's acceptance of Charles' success and the rivalry Latimer feels from Alfred's success.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)