|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Latimer remember Prague being like?
2. When Latimer's father is late for their shopping trip, Latimer has another vision. What does Latimer see in this vision?
3. What does Latimer's father do for a living?
4. While at Basel, who does Latimer begin to hate more than anyone else?
5. Who comes to Switzerland to see Latimer during the end of his stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Latimer struggling with his feelings for Bertha and their pending engagement?
2. Describe what happens to Latimer's powers after Mrs. Archer arrives.
3. What does Latimer believe about Bertha's feelings?
4. Who is Latimer?
5. Describe Latimer and Alfred's relationship.
6. What happens during the blood transfusion?
7. What happens to make Latimer think of the vision he had of Bertha and him married?
8. What do readers learn about Latimer's "attacks"?
9. Describe Latimer's second vision.
10. Describe what ends Latimer's stay in Geneva and who comes to stay with Latimer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Latimer's social life before and after his marriage to Bertha.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Latimer's decline.
Be sure to include:
- The loss of his mother.
- The relationship with his father.
- The loss of Alfred.
- His powers.
Essay Topic 3
George Eliot writes the story in novella form. Discuss why this form is important to the understanding of "The Lifted Veil".
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)