|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes fun of Latimer's poetic nature and ridicules his favorite poems?
2. Why does Latimer like running water?
3. What is the name of Latimer's neighbors that come to Switzerland?
4. What is one reason that Latimer thinks Bertha will never marry Alfred?
5. Why does Latimer's father think he was strange?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Latimer tell his story?
2. What do Latimer and Bertha talk about during their walk?
3. What does Latimer believe about Bertha's feelings?
4. What are Latimer's father's plans for Latimer?
5. Describe what ends Latimer's stay in Geneva and who comes to stay with Latimer.
6. Describe how Charles has changed since Latimer's childhood.
7. How does Latimer's ability to read Bertha's mind change their marriage?
8. Mrs. Archer becomes very ill during Charles' stay. What interest does Charles find in her illness?
9. What are the circumstances surrounding Latimer and his education in Switzerland?
10. Ultimately, why does the rivalry between the brothers exist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Latimer decides to write down the story of his life during the month leading up to his pre-seen death. Why do you think Latimer decides to do this? Would you consider following in Latimer's footsteps and doing the same? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Latimer's first vision of what he believed to be Prague. Why do you believe he saw what he saw? Be specific in regards to details and reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two of the following "relationships" in detail:
-Latimer and Alfred.
-Latimer and Bertha.
-Latimer and his mother.
-Latimer and his father.
-Latimer and Charles.
-Alfred and Bertha.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)