|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Latimer react to Bertha's answer regarding her feelings for Alfred?
2. What happens as the operation progresses?
(a) Mrs. Archer awakens and screams at Charles.
(b) Mrs. Archer begins to twitch and then dies again.
(c) Mrs. Archer begins to breathe and move her lips.
(d) Nothing; the operation is a failure.
3. What has changed in the relationship between Alfred and Bertha upon returning home?
(a) They are formally engaged.
(b) They have decided not to get married.
(c) Bertha and Latimer are engaged.
(d) Nothing has changed.
4. During his travels, what would permit Latimer to move on?
(a) Ability to read the minds of all those around him.
(b) "Seeing" the next place to travel.
(c) Nothing; he did not travel, he locked himself in his home.
(d) Being arrested and thrown out of the city.
5. What does Charles do for a profession?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A banker.
(c) A physician.
(d) A con man.
6. What does Charles ask Latimer to help him with regarding Mrs. Archer?
(a) A blood transfusion.
(b) An organ removal.
(c) Talking her into staying.
(d) Forcing her to leave.
7. How does Latimer feel about his father after the death?
(a) He begins to hate him even more.
(b) He begins to plan to put thoughts into his head.
(c) He begins to feel affection for him.
(d) He begins to realize that his father always did love him best.
8. What does Latimer tell the two nurses about the operation?
(a) He told them the truth about the blood transfusion.
(b) He ignored them being in the room.
(c) That Charles was unsure of the death and an operation needed to be performed.
(d) Nothing...he dismissed them and they left.
9. What is another reason that Latimer does not think the wedding will take place?
(a) He read Alfred's mind.
(b) His visions are always wrong.
(c) Alfred will selfishly find something better for himself.
(d) He planted horrible thoughts in Alfred's mind about Bertha.
10. After their marriage, why are Bertha and Latimer rarely alone?
(a) They are surrounded by nurses due to the upcomming birth.
(b) Their social calender is too full.
(c) Latimer's father is always around.
(d) They are always alone.
11. What does Bertha carry into the library fulfilling an earlier vision?
(a) A flower.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A candle.
(d) A card.
12. While Alfred is hunting, what do Latimer and Bertha do?
(a) Make plans to run away together.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Plan their wedding.
13. Who becomes ill near the end of Charles' visit?
(b) A servant other than Mrs. Archer.
(d) Mrs. Archer.
14. Why does Latimer believe that Bertha agreed to marry Alfred?
(a) Because she really loves Alfred.
(b) Because she would have money.
(c) Because she likes the idea of being loved by and married to a man who was as admired in society as Alfred was
(d) Because she was pressured by Mrs. Filmore.
15. What does Latimer do following the question about loving him?
(b) Apologizes to Bertha.
(c) Runs away from Bertha.
(d) Kisses Bertha.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their marriage, how does Latimer feel about the way that he thinks Bertha feels about him?
2. While Bertha and Latimer are walking the grounds at home, what does Bertha tell Latimer about her love for Alfred?
3. Latimer dies in what city?
4. How does Bertha react to Latimer's question about loving him?
5. Why does Latimer resent Alfred's invitations to accompany him anywhere?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)