|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the wedding between Alfred and Bertha to take place?
(a) The following fall.
(b) The following winter.
(c) The following summer.
(d) The following spring.
2. How does Bertha react to Latimer's question about loving him?
(a) Bertha tells Latimer that she is going to tell Alfred what has happened.
(b) Bertha jestingly refers to his apparent momentary lapse as a "mad fit".
(c) Bertha becomes very hateful and begins to call Latimer names.
(d) Bertha becomes quiet and says nothing.
3. How does Latimer react to Bertha's answer regarding her feelings for Alfred?
4. Who is killed during a hunting accident?
(b) Latimer's father.
5. What does Bertha carry into the library fulfilling an earlier vision?
(a) A candle.
(b) A flower.
(c) A card.
(d) A blanket.
6. What does Bertha believe will ruin her marriage?
(b) Latimer's father.
7. What does Latimer's father's sorrow crush in him?
(a) Joy and celebration.
(b) Pride and hope.
(c) Love and happiness.
(d) Fate and destiny.
8. What does Latimer's father suggest he do now that Alfred is gone?
(a) Leave town.
(b) Settle on living a life of solitude.
(c) Marry Bertha.
(d) Become a priest.
9. What does Bertha believe would happen to Latimer once they were married?
(a) He would become her slave.
(b) He would die shortly after their marriage and leave everything to her.
(c) He would put them into debt.
(d) He would make them rich.
10. What is another reason that Latimer does not think the wedding will take place?
(a) His visions are always wrong.
(b) Alfred will selfishly find something better for himself.
(c) He planted horrible thoughts in Alfred's mind about Bertha.
(d) He read Alfred's mind.
11. What does Mrs. Archer accuse Bertha of doing?
(a) Poisoning Alfred.
(b) Poisoning her daughter.
(c) Poisoning Latimer's father.
(d) Poisoning Latimer.
12. Where does the second part of The Lifted Veil start?
13. What does Latimer tell the two nurses about the operation?
(a) That Charles was unsure of the death and an operation needed to be performed.
(b) He ignored them being in the room.
(c) He told them the truth about the blood transfusion.
(d) Nothing...he dismissed them and they left.
14. Who does Latimer return home from Switzerland with?
(a) His father.
(c) Mrs. Filmore.
15. After Mrs. Archer's arrival, why does Bertha begin spending time with Latimer?
(a) She has forced him to be her slave or she will leave.
(b) He can no longer read minds and she knows it.
(c) He has changed and will do whatever she wants.
(d) Mrs. Archer has left and everything is back to normal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Latimer ask Bertha about her feelings for him prior to the wedding plans?
2. Just after Latimer's father dies, what does Latimer realize he can/cannot do?
3. What does Charles do for a profession?
4. During his travels, what would permit Latimer to move on?
5. While Alfred is hunting, what do Latimer and Bertha do?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)