|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of The Lifted Veil?
(a) Maya Angelou.
(b) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) George Eliot.
2. Why does Latimer like running water?
(a) Because he knows why it runs.
(b) Because it is beautiful.
(c) Because it has melted from the mountains.
(d) Because it goes where it wishes.
3. When Latimer "awakens" from his vision of Prague, what does he begin to do?
(a) Question his mental state.
(c) Runs from the house.
4. While at Basel, who does Latimer begin to hate more than anyone else?
(a) His father.
5. What did Latimer enjoy reading "by the sly"?
(a) James, Freud, and Moore.
(b) Milton, Pluto, and Descartes.
(c) Plutarch, Shakespere, and Don Quixote.
(d) Poe, Chaucer, and Aristotle.
6. Where does Latimer's father take him everyday?
(a) To the movies.
(b) To poetry readings.
(c) To the doctor.
7. How does Bertha treat Latimer in private?
(a) She is not distant and leads him on.
(b) She is never alone with Latimer.
(c) She treats him like an infant.
(d) She is very distant and ignores him.
8. Why did Latimer's time in Switzerland end?
(a) He finished school.
(b) He died.
(c) His half-brother died.
(d) He contracted a severe illness.
9. How is the woman with Mrs. Filmore related to her?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her long-lost daughter.
(d) An orphaned niece.
10. What time will Latimer begin to feel his impending death come?
(a) Ten o'clock a.m.
(d) Ten o'clock p.m.
11. At what age does Latimer go to Switzerland?
12. What does Latimer's new talent show in others?
(a) Their fear of Latimer.
(b) Their appreciation of Latimer.
(c) Their pettiness.
(d) Their love for Bertha.
13. Why is Latimer examined by a phrenologist?
(a) Because Latimer cannot eat.
(b) Becasue Latimer cannot sleep.
(c) Because Latimer keeps getting sick.
(d) Because Latimer has many bumps on his head.
14. When will Latimer's story be told?
(b) By someone else on his deathbed.
(c) After his death.
(d) During the last month of his life.
15. What subjects are private tutors hired to teach Latimer?
(a) Math and geometry.
(b) Art and music.
(c) Literature and writing.
(d) Natural science, history, and modern language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Latimer's ability to read minds becomes stronger?
2. What does Latimer decide to do about his first vision in regards to his third vision?
3. Why does George Eliot give Latimer psychic powers?
4. Who does Latimer trust?
5. Who leaves the room during Latimer's vision of Prague?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)