|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the affliction that the narrator suffers from?
(a) Angina Pectoris.
(c) Brain Tumors.
2. What happens when Latimer realizes that his visions are coming true?
(a) He runs away screaming.
(b) He dies.
(c) He faints.
(d) He hugs his father.
3. How does Bertha treat Latimer in private?
(a) She treats him like an infant.
(b) She is not distant and leads him on.
(c) She is never alone with Latimer.
(d) She is very distant and ignores him.
4. When will Latimer's story be told?
(a) After his death.
(b) During the last month of his life.
(c) By someone else on his deathbed.
5. What image is Latimer obsessed with?
6. How does Latimer feel about what is revealed to him when he uses his second psychic ability?
(a) It provokes him.
(b) It revolts him.
(c) It makes him happy.
(d) It makes him feel loved.
7. Who is Bertha Grant engaged to?
(b) Mrs. Filmore's son.
(d) Latimer's father.
8. What does Latimer buy Bertha for her birthday?
(a) A ruby.
(b) An opal.
(c) A book by Shakespeare.
(d) A mink wrap.
9. What affliction did the narrator suffer from as a child?
10. What kind of writing is The Lifted Veil?
(a) A novella.
(b) An epic poem.
(c) A biography.
(d) A graphic novel.
11. What does Latimer remember Prague being like?
(a) A cold and dark place.
(b) A long row of trees with muiti-colored birds in the branches.
(c) A patch of rainbow light on the pavement, transmitted through a colored lamp in the shape of a star.
(d) A city that brings only fear and hatred.
12. What is Latimer's first hatred?
(a) His father.
(b) The doctor, Mr. Letherall.
(c) His mother.
(d) His brother, Alfred.
13. Who does Latimer's new talent have no effect on?
(c) His father.
14. What time will Latimer begin to feel his impending death come?
(b) Ten o'clock p.m.
(d) Ten o'clock a.m.
15. What emotion does Eliot want readers to share with Latimer?
(a) His joy.
(b) His pain.
(c) His love.
(d) His happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Latimer's time in Switzerland end?
2. What happens after Latimer returns to the room after washing his face?
3. Whose birthday gifts does Latimer see Bertha wear to dinner?
4. What does Latimer read in secret?
5. What moments in Switzerland did Latimer never feel alone?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)