|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bertha keep on her gold chain?
(a) Latimer's ring.
(b) A locket from her mother.
(c) A cross.
(d) Alfred's ring.
2. Why is Latimer examined by a phrenologist?
(a) Because Latimer keeps getting sick.
(b) Because Latimer cannot eat.
(c) Because Latimer has many bumps on his head.
(d) Becasue Latimer cannot sleep.
3. What subjects are private tutors hired to teach Latimer?
(a) Math and geometry.
(b) Literature and writing.
(c) Natural science, history, and modern language.
(d) Art and music.
4. Which character can see their own death?
(a) Mrs. Archer.
(b) The Father.
5. What moments in Switzerland did Latimer never feel alone?
(a) In the boat on the lake.
(b) On the shore reading his poetry.
(c) In the home he was staying in.
(d) During his visits to town.
6. Who does Latimer's new talent have no effect on?
(d) His father.
7. Why does Latimer choose this specific gift for Bertha's birthday?
(a) It has deep symbolic meaning.
(b) He knew she loves Shakespeare.
(c) It was expensive.
(d) He could only afford the wrap and not the coat.
8. Why is Latimer in Switzerland?
(a) To start treatment.
(b) To become a landscaper.
(c) To see new doctors.
(d) To complete his education.
9. Why do Latimer's servants not answer his bell during his heart attack?
(a) They are lovers and left the house arguing.
(b) They hope he will die quicker if they do not respond.
(c) They are choosing to ignore the bell.
(d) They cannot hear from where they are.
10. What does Latimer decide to do about his first vision in regards to his third vision?
(a) Nothing at all; he really did not believe in them.
(b) If his vision of Prague turned out to be true, he would kill Alfred.
(c) If his vision of Prague turned out to be true, he would ask her about her feelings.
(d) Ignore them and let fate lead the way.
11. Who is described as handsome, confident, and extremely friendly, and evidently did not feel any rivalry with Latimer?
(a) Mr. Filmore.
(d) His father.
12. After his vision, who does Latimer ask to go find his father?
(a) No one.
(d) Mrs. Filmore
13. What final piece of evidence does Latimer need to see before he decides if his visions are really true?
(a) The bridge and archway.
(b) The row of trees and multi-colored birds.
(c) The storm clouds.
(d) The patch of rainbow light in the shape of a star on the pavement.
14. The first-person narrator and the main character of the story is _________.
(a) The Father.
(b) Mrs. Archer.
15. Why has Latimer never told anyone his story?
(a) He does not believe that humanity has sympathy for the living.
(b) He doesn't want sympathy in life.
(c) He doesn't think anyone will believe it.
(d) Alfred already told everyone Latimer's story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins Latimer and the others at Basel?
2. Why does George Eliot give Latimer psychic powers?
3. What is the purpose of the introduction?
4. What purpose does Latimer give to his life before he dies?
5. When will Latimer's story be told?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)