|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does George Eliot give Latimer psychic powers?
(a) To show readers that Latimer is crazy.
(b) To make the story more believable.
(c) Because he wants readers to experience the story as though they were the one dying.
(d) To allow the story to be catagorized under Science Fiction.
2. Why is Latimer examined by a phrenologist?
(a) Because Latimer keeps getting sick.
(b) Because Latimer cannot eat.
(c) Becasue Latimer cannot sleep.
(d) Because Latimer has many bumps on his head.
3. What moments in Switzerland did Latimer never feel alone?
(a) In the boat on the lake.
(b) On the shore reading his poetry.
(c) During his visits to town.
(d) In the home he was staying in.
4. What is the purpose of the introduction?
(a) Give readers a complete history on brain tumors.
(b) Tell readers about the joy of life.
(c) Introduce readers to Latimer.
(d) Give background on Mrs. Archer.
5. What happens when Latimer realizes that his visions are coming true?
(a) He hugs his father.
(b) He faints.
(c) He dies.
(d) He runs away screaming.
6. What does Latimer "see" in his vision of Prague?
(a) A pasture with horses and flowers.
(b) A city with a long bridge, flanked by statues of saints, over which a castle was looming.
(c) A storm approaching.
(d) His mother.
7. Why does Latimer choose this specific gift for Bertha's birthday?
(a) He knew she loves Shakespeare.
(b) He could only afford the wrap and not the coat.
(c) It has deep symbolic meaning.
(d) It was expensive.
8. What is one reason that Latimer thinks Bertha will never marry Alfred?
(a) Because she is very sick and will not make it to the wedding day.
(b) Because their engagement is not formal.
(c) Because she loves their father.
(d) Because she is already secretly married.
9. What causes Latimer's love interest to think that he loves her?
(a) Nothing, she has no clue.
(b) Him fainting the first time they met.
(c) The poems that he writes for her.
(d) The songs that he sings to her.
10. Whose birthday gifts does Latimer see Bertha wear to dinner?
(a) Everyones but Alfred's.
(b) Only his gift.
(c) Everyones but his.
(d) No ones gifts.
11. What does Latimer pray to stay with?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) The unknown.
(d) His father.
12. How is Latimer to die?
(a) Surrounded by family.
(b) With only his servants by his side.
(c) Cold and alone.
(d) With only his wife by his side.
13. At what age does Latimer go to Switzerland?
14. What does Latimer read in secret?
(d) Music books.
15. Who does Latimer trust?
(a) Only Bertha.
(b) Only his father.
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as handsome, confident, and extremely friendly, and evidently did not feel any rivalry with Latimer?
2. What happens when his father begins to speak during Latimer's second vision?
3. What final piece of evidence does Latimer need to see before he decides if his visions are really true?
4. What kind of writing is The Lifted Veil?
5. What time will Latimer begin to feel his impending death come?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)