|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the affliction that the narrator suffers from?
(b) Brain Tumors.
(c) Angina Pectoris.
2. How is the woman with Mrs. Filmore related to her?
(a) An orphaned niece.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her long-lost daughter.
3. What kind of writing is The Lifted Veil?
(a) A novella.
(b) An epic poem.
(c) A graphic novel.
(d) A biography.
4. What is the woman's name that comes with Mrs. Filmore to Switzerland?
(a) Bertha Grant.
(b) Mary Filmore.
(c) Bertha Filmore.
(d) Mrs. Archer.
5. What happens to Latimer while everyone is visiting Lichtenberg Palace?
(a) He passes out.
(b) He has one vision of him killing Alfred.
(c) He has one vision of Bertha as his wife.
(d) He asks Bertha to marry him.
6. Why is Latimer lonely in Switzerland?
(a) He thinks people are making fun of the bumps.
(b) He thinks people will make fun of his sensitivity.
(c) He gets into a lot of fights.
(d) He thinks people will make fun of his accent.
7. Who is the only person that Latimer falls in love with throughout his life?
(b) A servant.
(c) Mrs. Filmore.
(d) Mrs. Archer.
8. Who leaves the room during Latimer's vision of Prague?
(c) The servants.
(d) His father.
9. What did Latimer enjoy reading "by the sly"?
(a) Plutarch, Shakespere, and Don Quixote.
(b) Milton, Pluto, and Descartes.
(c) Poe, Chaucer, and Aristotle.
(d) James, Freud, and Moore.
10. What age was the narrator when his mother died?
(a) Nine or ten.
(c) Four or five.
(d) Seven or eight.
11. Who is the author of The Lifted Veil?
(a) Maya Angelou.
(b) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) George Eliot.
12. The first-person narrator and the main character of the story is _________.
(b) The Father.
(c) Mrs. Archer.
13. What does Latimer buy Bertha for her birthday?
(a) An opal.
(b) A book by Shakespeare.
(c) A mink wrap.
(d) A ruby.
14. What does Latimer compare to his mother's love?
(a) The wildlife.
(b) The valleys and the rivers.
(c) The trees, the stars, and the flowers.
(d) The sky, mountain tops, and the blue water.
15. Why does Latimer initially fall in love with his only love?
(a) Because he cannot read her mind.
(b) Because he cannot have her.
(c) Because he hates her fiance.
(d) Because it is forbidden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Latimer's love interest to think that he loves her?
2. During his death, Latimer thinks of what natural images?
3. Who does Latimer describe as sarcastic, cynical, and unimaginative?
4. Where does Latimer's father take him everyday?
5. When will Latimer's story be told?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)