|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Latimer lonely in Switzerland?
(a) He thinks people will make fun of his sensitivity.
(b) He thinks people are making fun of the bumps.
(c) He thinks people will make fun of his accent.
(d) He gets into a lot of fights.
2. Why does Latimer's third vision frighten him?
(a) In the vision, he dies.
(b) In the vision, his father dies.
(c) In the vision, he and Bertha hate each other.
(d) In the vision, he kills Bertha.
3. Why is Latimer's friend not accepted by society?
(a) Because he suffers from schizophrenia.
(b) Because his mother is at a mental hospital.
(c) Because he is so intelligent.
(d) Because he is poor and ugly.
4. How does Bertha treat Latimer in private?
(a) She is never alone with Latimer.
(b) She is very distant and ignores him.
(c) She is not distant and leads him on.
(d) She treats him like an infant.
5. Why do Latimer and Charles get along so well?
(a) They both want to become doctors.
(b) They both have "the bumps".
(c) Latimer takes pity on him.
(d) Latimer shares his understanding of isolation.
6. Why does Latimer's father think he was strange?
(a) He is very outgoing.
(b) He is very intelligent.
(c) He is extremely sensitive.
(d) He is extremely loud.
7. What happens when his father begins to speak during Latimer's second vision?
(a) Latimer faints.
(b) Everyone disappears.
(c) His mother comes back to life.
(d) Everyone dies.
8. What happens when Latimer's father agrees to take him shopping?
(a) His father is late.
(b) His father never comes.
(c) Alfred meets him instead.
(d) His mother shows up instead.
9. Who makes fun of Latimer's poetic nature and ridicules his favorite poems?
(b) His father.
(c) Mrs. Filmore.
10. What does Latimer's new talent show in others?
(a) Their appreciation of Latimer.
(b) Their pettiness.
(c) Their fear of Latimer.
(d) Their love for Bertha.
11. Why does George Eliot give Latimer psychic powers?
(a) To make the story more believable.
(b) To show readers that Latimer is crazy.
(c) Because he wants readers to experience the story as though they were the one dying.
(d) To allow the story to be catagorized under Science Fiction.
12. How does Bertha treat Latimer in public?
(a) She ridiclues him constantly.
(b) She thinks him to be a match to Alfred and would be happy with either.
(c) She thinks him to be too young and sick to be a lover.
(d) She is always hugging him and holding his hand.
13. Who does Latimer describe as sarcastic, cynical, and unimaginative?
(a) Mrs. Archer.
(b) The servant.
(d) Mrs. Filmore.
14. When the narrator rings the bell during the last moments of life, who comes in to help?
(b) His father.
(c) No one.
(d) Mrs. Archer.
15. What causes Latimer's love interest to think that he loves her?
(a) The songs that he sings to her.
(b) Him fainting the first time they met.
(c) Nothing, she has no clue.
(d) The poems that he writes for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other problems are associated with Latimer's illness?
2. Who is the only person that Latimer falls in love with throughout his life?
3. What does everyone buy Bertha for her birthday?
4. What is Latimer's second psychic ability?
5. What is the purpose of the introduction?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)