|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Latimer compare to his mother's love?
(a) The valleys and the rivers.
(b) The wildlife.
(c) The sky, mountain tops, and the blue water.
(d) The trees, the stars, and the flowers.
2. Who is the author of The Lifted Veil?
(a) George Eliot.
(b) Maya Angelou.
(c) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(d) William Faulkner.
3. Which character can see their own death?
(b) Mrs. Archer.
(d) The Father.
4. What will the narrator die from?
(b) A heart attack.
(c) A brain aneurysm.
(d) A gunshot wound.
5. What happens when Latimer's father agrees to take him shopping?
(a) His mother shows up instead.
(b) Alfred meets him instead.
(c) His father is late.
(d) His father never comes.
6. Why does Latimer's father think he was strange?
(a) He is very intelligent.
(b) He is extremely sensitive.
(c) He is extremely loud.
(d) He is very outgoing.
7. What does Latimer decide to do about his first vision in regards to his third vision?
(a) If his vision of Prague turned out to be true, he would kill Alfred.
(b) If his vision of Prague turned out to be true, he would ask her about her feelings.
(c) Ignore them and let fate lead the way.
(d) Nothing at all; he really did not believe in them.
8. What is the name of Latimer's older half-brother?
9. What other problems are associated with Latimer's illness?
(b) Thoughts of impending death.
(c) Bipolar disorder.
(d) Multiple personality disorder.
10. Where did the bond between Charles and Latimer come from?
(a) The attractiveness of both boys.
(b) The community of feeling.
(c) The intellect shared between them.
(d) A shared illness.
11. The first-person narrator and the main character of the story is _________.
(a) The Father.
(d) Mrs. Archer.
12. What happens to Latimer while everyone is visiting Lichtenberg Palace?
(a) He asks Bertha to marry him.
(b) He has one vision of him killing Alfred.
(c) He has one vision of Bertha as his wife.
(d) He passes out.
13. Why do Latimer and Charles get along so well?
(a) Latimer takes pity on him.
(b) They both have "the bumps".
(c) Latimer shares his understanding of isolation.
(d) They both want to become doctors.
14. Who does Latimer meet in Switzerland?
(a) Mrs. Archer.
(c) Charles Meunier.
(d) George Eliot.
15. What final piece of evidence does Latimer need to see before he decides if his visions are really true?
(a) The row of trees and multi-colored birds.
(b) The bridge and archway.
(c) The patch of rainbow light in the shape of a star on the pavement.
(d) The storm clouds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Latimer enjoy traveling with?
2. Why does Latimer initially fall in love with his only love?
3. Who leaves the room during Latimer's vision of Prague?
4. Who joins Latimer and the others at Basel?
5. What did Latimer enjoy reading "by the sly"?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)