|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When will Latimer's story be told?
(b) By someone else on his deathbed.
(c) During the last month of his life.
(d) After his death.
2. Why is Latimer in Switzerland?
(a) To become a landscaper.
(b) To start treatment.
(c) To complete his education.
(d) To see new doctors.
3. What time will Latimer begin to feel his impending death come?
(a) Ten o'clock p.m.
(b) Ten o'clock a.m.
4. What is another reason that Latimer thinks Bertha will not marry Alfred?
(a) Beacuse she has already accepted to marry someone else.
(b) Because she has plans to leave and travel the world.
(c) Because she wants to become a doctor.
(d) Because she secretly ridicules Alfred.
5. What does Latimer decide to do about his first vision in regards to his third vision?
(a) If his vision of Prague turned out to be true, he would kill Alfred.
(b) Ignore them and let fate lead the way.
(c) Nothing at all; he really did not believe in them.
(d) If his vision of Prague turned out to be true, he would ask her about her feelings.
6. Who does Latimer meet in Switzerland?
(b) Charles Meunier.
(c) Mrs. Archer.
(d) George Eliot.
7. What emotion does Eliot want readers to share with Latimer?
(a) His happiness.
(b) His pain.
(c) His love.
(d) His joy.
8. What does Latimer read in secret?
(d) Music books.
9. What causes Latimer's love interest to think that he loves her?
(a) The poems that he writes for her.
(b) Nothing, she has no clue.
(c) The songs that he sings to her.
(d) Him fainting the first time they met.
10. What age was the narrator when his mother died?
(a) Nine or ten.
(b) Four or five.
(c) Seven or eight.
11. Why do Latimer and Charles get along so well?
(a) They both want to become doctors.
(b) They both have "the bumps".
(c) Latimer shares his understanding of isolation.
(d) Latimer takes pity on him.
12. Who is the only person that Latimer falls in love with throughout his life?
(b) Mrs. Filmore.
(c) A servant.
(d) Mrs. Archer.
13. What affliction did the narrator suffer from as a child?
14. Why does Latimer shut himself in rooms alone?
(a) To write about his death.
(b) To sabotage the wedding.
(c) To make plans to kill Alfred.
(d) To dream of Bertha uninterrupted.
15. What happens when Latimer realizes that his visions are coming true?
(a) He runs away screaming.
(b) He hugs his father.
(c) He faints.
(d) He dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Latimer's servants not answer his bell during his heart attack?
2. What does everyone buy Bertha for her birthday?
3. What is one reason that Latimer thinks Bertha will never marry Alfred?
4. What image is Latimer obsessed with?
5. While at Basel, who does Latimer begin to hate more than anyone else?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)