|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bertha treat Latimer in private?
(a) She treats him like an infant.
(b) She is very distant and ignores him.
(c) She is never alone with Latimer.
(d) She is not distant and leads him on.
2. How does Bertha treat Latimer in public?
(a) She thinks him to be a match to Alfred and would be happy with either.
(b) She ridiclues him constantly.
(c) She thinks him to be too young and sick to be a lover.
(d) She is always hugging him and holding his hand.
3. What is the purpose of the introduction?
(a) Introduce readers to Latimer.
(b) Give background on Mrs. Archer.
(c) Give readers a complete history on brain tumors.
(d) Tell readers about the joy of life.
4. What is the name of Latimer's older half-brother?
5. What happens to Latimer while everyone is visiting Lichtenberg Palace?
(a) He has one vision of Bertha as his wife.
(b) He asks Bertha to marry him.
(c) He has one vision of him killing Alfred.
(d) He passes out.
6. What does Latimer read in secret?
(a) Music books.
7. The first-person narrator and the main character of the story is _________.
(a) The Father.
(d) Mrs. Archer.
8. What is one reason that Latimer thinks Bertha will never marry Alfred?
(a) Because their engagement is not formal.
(b) Because she is very sick and will not make it to the wedding day.
(c) Because she loves their father.
(d) Because she is already secretly married.
9. Why does Latimer shut himself in rooms alone?
(a) To dream of Bertha uninterrupted.
(b) To make plans to kill Alfred.
(c) To write about his death.
(d) To sabotage the wedding.
10. Who makes fun of Latimer's poetic nature and ridicules his favorite poems?
(a) Mrs. Filmore.
(d) His father.
11. How is Latimer to die?
(a) Surrounded by family.
(b) With only his wife by his side.
(c) Cold and alone.
(d) With only his servants by his side.
12. Who is Bertha Grant engaged to?
(a) Latimer's father.
(b) Mrs. Filmore's son.
13. When Latimer "awakens" from his vision of Prague, what does he begin to do?
(b) Runs from the house.
(c) Question his mental state.
14. What does Latimer's father do for a living?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a mortician.
(c) He is a banker.
(d) He is a con man.
15. What subjects are private tutors hired to teach Latimer?
(a) Natural science, history, and modern language.
(b) Art and music.
(c) Literature and writing.
(d) Math and geometry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose birthday gifts does Latimer see Bertha wear to dinner?
2. What did Latimer enjoy reading "by the sly"?
3. What is the affliction that the narrator suffers from?
4. Why does Latimer choose this specific gift for Bertha's birthday?
5. What will the narrator die from?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)