|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Bertha Grant engaged to?
(a) Mrs. Filmore's son.
(d) Latimer's father.
2. Why does Latimer's father think he was strange?
(a) He is extremely loud.
(b) He is very outgoing.
(c) He is extremely sensitive.
(d) He is very intelligent.
3. After his vision, who does Latimer ask to go find his father?
(c) Mrs. Filmore
(d) No one.
4. Whose birthday gifts does Latimer see Bertha wear to dinner?
(a) No ones gifts.
(b) Only his gift.
(c) Everyones but Alfred's.
(d) Everyones but his.
5. What other problems are associated with Latimer's illness?
(a) Thoughts of impending death.
(c) Multiple personality disorder.
(d) Bipolar disorder.
6. Who joins Latimer and the others at Basel?
(c) His father.
(d) Mrs. Archer.
7. Who does Latimer describe as sarcastic, cynical, and unimaginative?
(a) Mrs. Filmore.
(c) Mrs. Archer.
(d) The servant.
8. What did Latimer enjoy reading "by the sly"?
(a) James, Freud, and Moore.
(b) Poe, Chaucer, and Aristotle.
(c) Milton, Pluto, and Descartes.
(d) Plutarch, Shakespere, and Don Quixote.
9. The narrator will die within what time period?
(a) One month.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
10. Why does Latimer initially fall in love with his only love?
(a) Because he hates her fiance.
(b) Because he cannot have her.
(c) Because it is forbidden.
(d) Because he cannot read her mind.
11. What time will Latimer begin to feel his impending death come?
(b) Ten o'clock p.m.
(c) Ten o'clock a.m.
12. Why is Latimer in Switzerland?
(a) To become a landscaper.
(b) To complete his education.
(c) To start treatment.
(d) To see new doctors.
13. Who comes to Switzerland to see Latimer during the end of his stay?
(a) Mrs. Archer
(b) His father.
14. Why is Latimer's friend not accepted by society?
(a) Because he suffers from schizophrenia.
(b) Because his mother is at a mental hospital.
(c) Because he is poor and ugly.
(d) Because he is so intelligent.
15. How does Bertha treat Latimer in private?
(a) She treats him like an infant.
(b) She is not distant and leads him on.
(c) She is very distant and ignores him.
(d) She is never alone with Latimer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Latimer like running water?
2. What does Latimer pray to stay with?
3. Where does Latimer's father take him everyday?
4. How is the woman with Mrs. Filmore related to her?
5. Who is the only person that Latimer falls in love with throughout his life?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)