|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character trait is practiced through the ministry of helpfulness, according to Bonhoeffer?
2. What did Bonhoeffer say about the man who is in sin and who has yet to confess it?
3. In the ministry of bearing, what, according to Bonhoeffer, does a Christian fellowship do?
4. How did Bonhoeffer define "justification" in Chapter 4?
5. According to Bonhoeffer, what does silence enable?
Short Essay Questions
1. While discussing the various ministries, Bonhoeffer states once again that all members of a community experience sin. What did he specifically say, while discussing the ministry of bearing, about bearing with another in sin?
2. What, in Chapter 5, did Bonhoeffer say is the fullness of Christian fellowship in community?
3. Why did Bonhoeffer call the rules and recommendations he established in Chapter 4 "ministries?"
4. In Chapter 4, what did Bonhoeffer say that members of a community need to pay attention to?
5. In Chapter 5, what passage of Scripture did Bonhoeffer recommend examining oneself against when asking forgiveness?
6. Likewise, how does Bonhoeffer describe personal prayer in Chapter 3?
7. What, in Bonhoeffer's opinion, did one's learning to allow others to speak the Word of God (i.e. practice the ministry of proclaiming) allow a person to do?
8. Regarding the ministry of bearing, how did Bonhoeffer tie it to what he called the "fellowship of the cross?"
9. What is the scripture that Bonhoeffer utilized in Chapter 3 to emphasize, one last time, the importance to him of time spent alone?
10. What did Bonhoeffer say that confessing sin to a brother enables?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Bonhoeffer's ministries could be adapted to a community at your school, such as a sports team or club. Compare and contrast the organization's rules of conduct with Bonhoeffer's ministries, and analyze how the ministries could be applied and/or adapted to enhance the organization's rules of conduct.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, what did Bonhoeffer describe as the three meanings of fellowship of the table? Support your statements with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bonhoeffer's belief that Christians should bring peace with his actions in joining a plot to overthrow Hitler and in joining the Resistance movement against the Nazis. Were Bonhoeffer's actions in contradiction with his belief that Christians should bring peace? Why or why not?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)