|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say that preparation for the Lord's Supper is filled with?
2. What did Bonhoeffer say causes injury to a fellowship?
3. According to Bonhoeffer, the cross destroys _______ at its root.
4. What does Bonhoeffer say that both intercession and personal prayer should be related to?
5. On what does Bonhoeffer recommend individuals meditate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say that confessing sin to a brother enables?
2. What, in Chapter 5, did Bonhoeffer say is the fullness of Christian fellowship in community?
3. What did Bonhoeffer say should be the goal of personal meditation?
4. In Chapter 5, what did Bonhoeffer say the confessing Christian gives up by forsaking his sin?
5. Why does Bonhoeffer believe that the cross destroys human pride at its root?
6. While discussing the various ministries, Bonhoeffer states once again that all members of a community experience sin. What did he specifically say, while discussing the ministry of bearing, about bearing with another in sin?
7. When Christians assemble together the day before Holy Communion to beg forgiveness of each other, what did Bonhoeffer say they are to confess?
8. As Chapter 3 came to a close, what did Bonhoeffer say about the dimension of solitude and exile he described in community life?
9. What, in Bonhoeffer's opinion, did one's learning to allow others to speak the Word of God (i.e. practice the ministry of proclaiming) allow a person to do?
10. When discussing the ministry of proclaiming, what did Bonhoeffer say we ultimately recognize when we see others as being in need of assistance, encouragement, and forgiveness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, Bonhoeffer explains that a person should become completely absorbed in his/her work. Write an essay comparing either your favorite and your least favorite subject or your favorite and your least favorite chore. Explain why you like the favorite and dislike the favorite, then think about and explain how you might be able to apply Bonhoeffer's principle (back your statements up with the text) about becoming absorbed in your work so as to make the disliked subject or chore less of a burden.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Bonhoeffer states that the darkness one feels while in sin poisons and isolates a sinner's heart and soul from his brethren. Explain what this means and provide examples, from society, your own life, and the text.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, Bonhoeffer speaks at length about the Psalter (the book of Psalms, which he used for a hymnbook in his seminary). Using the text to support your statements, please explain the three things that Bonhoeffer believed could be learned from the Psalter. Then, compare and contrast these three things with the lessons and themes taught in the popular music of today.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)