|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bonhoeffer says that confessing sin to another is ____________.
2. What did Bonhoeffer say renews the unity of true fellowship in Jesus Christ?
3. Which Bible characters does Bonhoeffer present in Chapter 3 as examples of life alone?
4. Bonhoeffer said that sin ________ confessed individually to every brother.
5. According to Bonhoeffer, Christ said in Scripture that a brother should receive Communion (also known as the Lord's Supper) only if:
Short Essay Questions
1. Finally, how did Bonhoeffer explain intercession in Chapter 3, which was also supposed to take place during a Christian's personal time with God? How much importance did he place on intercession?
2. In presenting the ministry of holding one's tongue, what did Bonhoeffer say was completely removed if evil thoughts were not permitted to be said aloud, and if community members were absolutely banned from saying anything in secret about one another?
3. In Chapter 5, what did Bonhoeffer say that each man thinks he has a right to?
4. What did Bonhoeffer claim that regular, scheduled time for personal meditation, prayer, and intercession would demonstrate for a community member?
5. As Chapter 3 came to a close, what did Bonhoeffer say about the dimension of solitude and exile he described in community life?
6. What did Bonhoeffer say in Chapter 4 about a person who cannot listen to another patiently and at length?
7. In Chapter 5, what passage of Scripture did Bonhoeffer recommend examining oneself against when asking forgiveness?
8. In Chapter 5, what kind of brother did Bonhoeffer say may better understand another's confession of sin?
9. Why did Bonhoeffer call the rules and recommendations he established in Chapter 4 "ministries?"
10. What did Bonhoeffer say that a community member who has sinned can no longer experience until he confesses his sins? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Bonhoeffer's ministries could be adapted to a community at your school, such as a sports team or club. Compare and contrast the organization's rules of conduct with Bonhoeffer's ministries, and analyze how the ministries could be applied and/or adapted to enhance the organization's rules of conduct.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Bonhoeffer said that our tendency to size each other up when we first meet causes discord and, in fact, even the original apostles in Scripture wondered about their ranking. Using the text, identify some of the apostles that Bonhoeffer mentioned and what they did to try to jockey for position in their respective fellowships. Then, compare their behavior to what people do in today's society (look up current events, especially in government, to see similar behavior) to jockey for position and advise whether, in your opinion, people's behavior has changed much through the centuries.
Essay Topic 3
Spirituals, as described in the Introduction, were songs that African Americans sang to each other during the dark days of their enslavement in pre-Civil War America. That Bonhoeffer became so fascinated by this genre of music, as his homeland slipped into servitude to the Nazis, is ironic. Explain the irony in the situation of Bonhoeffer's interest in slave spirituals during this time.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)