|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bonhoeffer, whose responsibility is it to pray for intercession?
2. What did Bonhoeffer say offers divine help?
3. What did Bonhoeffer say that preparation for the Lord's Supper is filled with?
4. What character trait is practiced through the ministry of helpfulness, according to Bonhoeffer?
5. The ministry that requires that one think highly of others and little of oneself to serve them is the ministry of:
Short Essay Questions
1. As Chapter 3 came to a close, what did Bonhoeffer say about the dimension of solitude and exile he described in community life?
2. What did Bonhoeffer say that confessing sin to a brother enables?
3. When discussing the ministry of authority in Chapter 4, what other ministries did Bonhoeffer say had to be in effect in order for genuine spiritual authority to be present?
4. In Chapter 5, what did Bonhoeffer say that each man thinks he has a right to?
5. When discussing the ministry of proclaiming, what did Bonhoeffer say we ultimately recognize when we see others as being in need of assistance, encouragement, and forgiveness?
6. In Chapter 5, what kind of brother did Bonhoeffer say may better understand another's confession of sin?
7. According to what Bonhoeffer said, what does confession to - and absolution by - a brother confessor provide to an individual?
8. In Chapter 5, what did Bonhoeffer say the confessing Christian gives up by forsaking his sin?
9. What did Bonhoeffer claim that regular, scheduled time for personal meditation, prayer, and intercession would demonstrate for a community member?
10. Why did Bonhoeffer call the rules and recommendations he established in Chapter 4 "ministries?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, what did Bonhoeffer describe as the three meanings of fellowship of the table? Support your statements with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text, either prove or disprove Bonhoeffer's claim in Chapter 5 that it is easier to deceive oneself that sin is forgiven by confessing it only to God and not also to a brother.
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps the cornerstone of the ministries Bonhoeffer discussed in Chapter 4 was that of holding one's tongue. James, one of Jesus' disciples, described the tongue and the bad things we can say with it as able to set the entire world on fire. It is so easy, and even fun, to repeat bad things we hear and say bad things we think; however, Bonhoeffer's comments on not doing so hold a great deal of wisdom. Use the text to demonstrate Bonhoeffer's reasons why a person should never speak evil thoughts and why he absolutely forbade his seminarians to say ANYTHING secretly about each other. Then, compare and contrast this rule by which Bonhoeffer governed his seminary with the typical high school student's attitude towards and behavior when it comes to holding one's tongue, not saying bad things, and not saying things secretly about others.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)