|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Bonhoeffer recommend individuals meditate?
2. According to Bonhoeffer, what does the whole life of a Christian consist of?
3. What does Bonhoeffer say about the law of Christ, which he believes is fulfilled in the cross?
4. In Chapter 3, Bonhoeffer also introduces the concept of intercession. What is intercession?
5. What does Bonhoeffer say that both intercession and personal prayer should be related to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say in Chapter 4 about a person who cannot listen to another patiently and at length?
2. What is Bonhoeffer's objective in Chapter 4?
3. While discussing the various ministries, Bonhoeffer states once again that all members of a community experience sin. What did he specifically say, while discussing the ministry of bearing, about bearing with another in sin?
4. In Chapter 5, what did Bonhoeffer say that each man thinks he has a right to?
5. In Chapter 5, what passage of Scripture did Bonhoeffer recommend examining oneself against when asking forgiveness?
6. Why did Bonhoeffer place such importance upon silence during times of solitude?
7. What is the scripture that Bonhoeffer utilized in Chapter 3 to emphasize, one last time, the importance to him of time spent alone?
8. Thinking back over Chapters 1-3, what was the overarching message of these chapters? (Hint: A clue can be gleaned from the chapter titles).
9. In Chapter 3, what did Bonhoeffer say was one of the unhealthy ways to view fellowship? Why?
10. What did Bonhoeffer say should be the goal of personal meditation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Bonhoeffer's ministries could be adapted to a community at your school, such as a sports team or club. Compare and contrast the organization's rules of conduct with Bonhoeffer's ministries, and analyze how the ministries could be applied and/or adapted to enhance the organization's rules of conduct.
Essay Topic 2
Spirituals, as described in the Introduction, were songs that African Americans sang to each other during the dark days of their enslavement in pre-Civil War America. That Bonhoeffer became so fascinated by this genre of music, as his homeland slipped into servitude to the Nazis, is ironic. Explain the irony in the situation of Bonhoeffer's interest in slave spirituals during this time.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Bonhoeffer said that our tendency to size each other up when we first meet causes discord and, in fact, even the original apostles in Scripture wondered about their ranking. Using the text, identify some of the apostles that Bonhoeffer mentioned and what they did to try to jockey for position in their respective fellowships. Then, compare their behavior to what people do in today's society (look up current events, especially in government, to see similar behavior) to jockey for position and advise whether, in your opinion, people's behavior has changed much through the centuries.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)