|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Bonhoeffer, should be a primary concern in personal intercession?
2. Before Bonhoeffer accepted his position at the seminary, he was considering going to India. What was he going to do in India?
3. What did Bonhoeffer say that man's desire to be his own god makes him?
4. According to Bonhoeffer, what does silence enable?
5. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the purpose and goal of confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bonhoeffer's objective in Chapter 4?
2. What did Bonhoeffer say that a community member who has sinned can no longer experience until he confesses his sins? Why?
3. What is the scripture that Bonhoeffer utilized in Chapter 3 to emphasize, one last time, the importance to him of time spent alone?
4. As Chapter 3 came to a close, what did Bonhoeffer say about the dimension of solitude and exile he described in community life?
5. What did Bonhoeffer say was the result of resisting weakening by giving in to sin in the day spent alone?
6. According to what Bonhoeffer said, what does confession to - and absolution by - a brother confessor provide to an individual?
7. In Chapter 5, what kind of brother did Bonhoeffer say may better understand another's confession of sin?
8. What did Bonhoeffer claim that regular, scheduled time for personal meditation, prayer, and intercession would demonstrate for a community member?
9. Thinking back over Chapters 1-3, what was the overarching message of these chapters? (Hint: A clue can be gleaned from the chapter titles).
10. While discussing the various ministries, Bonhoeffer states once again that all members of a community experience sin. What did he specifically say, while discussing the ministry of bearing, about bearing with another in sin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text, either prove or disprove Bonhoeffer's claim in Chapter 5 that it is easier to deceive oneself that sin is forgiven by confessing it only to God and not also to a brother.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, Bonhoeffer speaks at length about the Psalter (the book of Psalms, which he used for a hymnbook in his seminary). Using the text to support your statements, please explain the three things that Bonhoeffer believed could be learned from the Psalter. Then, compare and contrast these three things with the lessons and themes taught in the popular music of today.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, Bonhoeffer spends quite a bit of time explaining his beliefs about the importance of early-morning devotions in the life of his seminary. Using examples from the text, explain:
1) the activities undertaken by the seminary community at dawn during their devotions, then analyze why it--in Bonhoeffer's opinion--would not have been equally effective for these activities to take place at lunch, or just before bed.
2) why Bonhoeffer believed Christians should begin the new day with hymns and the Word of God. Compare and contrast, your own opinion of the peaceful way that Bonhoeffer says this starts the day with the way you start a typical day. Is the way you start your day as peaceful and stress-free as the way in which Bonhoeffer's seminarians start theirs, even though they're in the middle of a war and engaging in activity their government has deemed illegal?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)