|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say in Chapter 4 that we must remember about other members of the community in which we live?
2. Finish the following concept Bonhoeffer puts forth in Chapter 3: Only when one is at ease with fellowship....
3. What is the confidence, according to Bonhoeffer, with which one can offer intercession for another?
4. In Chapter 4, by what word does Bonhoeffer refer to the rules and recommendations by which he says members of a fellowship should behave?
5. Based on what Bonhoeffer says in Chapter 4, which of the elements of personal devotional time that he described in Chapter 3 tie in with the ministry of bearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Chapter 3 came to a close, what did Bonhoeffer say about the dimension of solitude and exile he described in community life?
2. What, in Bonhoeffer's opinion, did one's learning to allow others to speak the Word of God (i.e. practice the ministry of proclaiming) allow a person to do?
3. What did Bonhoeffer say that confessing sin to a brother enables?
4. In Chapter 5, what passage of Scripture did Bonhoeffer recommend examining oneself against when asking forgiveness?
5. What did Bonhoeffer say was the result of resisting weakening by giving in to sin in the day spent alone?
6. What did Bonhoeffer claim that regular, scheduled time for personal meditation, prayer, and intercession would demonstrate for a community member?
7. Why did Bonhoeffer call the rules and recommendations he established in Chapter 4 "ministries?"
8. Likewise, how does Bonhoeffer describe personal prayer in Chapter 3?
9. What, in Chapter 5, did Bonhoeffer say is the fullness of Christian fellowship in community?
10. In Chapter 4, what did Bonhoeffer say that members of a community need to pay attention to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text, either prove or disprove Bonhoeffer's claim in Chapter 5 that it is easier to deceive oneself that sin is forgiven by confessing it only to God and not also to a brother.
Essay Topic 2
Bonhoeffer fled to England after his critical 1933 radio broadcast in order to avoid conflict with the Nazi regime. Research what the consequences for disagreeing with or criticizing the Nazis were, then write an essay using this information to explain what the outcome of 'conflict with the Nazi regime' might have spelled for Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Make sure that you cite your references and include a bibliography.
Essay Topic 3
In explaining his ministry of proclaiming in Chapter 4, how did Bonhoeffer tell us to approach and confront someone who has done something wrong and needs correction? Back your answer up with examples from the text. Then, compare and contrast Bonhoeffer's guidelines with how the typical high school student tends to confront someone who has done him/her wrong.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)