|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Bonhoeffer executed?
2. After the morning meal, what is the next event in a typical day at the seminary and how long does it last?
3. What did Bonhoeffer say is the source of human love? What can unfulfilled human love easily become?
4. What, according to Bonhoeffer, is God's Word?
5. The term "Word of God" can be applied to which two elements of Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Shortly before he received the call to return to Germany and lead the seminary at Finkenwalde, what was Bonhoeffer making plans to do?
2. In Chapter 2, how does Bonhoeffer use the times of day and night as images to illustrate Christ's effect on the world?
3. What are the three kinds of fellowship at table that Bonhoeffer says, in Chapter 2, are mentioned in the Bible?
4. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the best way for a Christian to accomplish his work? Why?
5. What did Bonhoeffer say that human desire for community involves?
6. How, according to Bonhoeffer's fellow prisoners, does his attitude consistently remain throughout his captivity, even as he becomes increasingly isolated?
7. Where are Bonhoeffer and his family held from 1943 to October 1944?
8. What was the purpose of the monument to Bonhoeffer erected by pastors in Bavaria, Germany, ten years after his death?
9. How do the prison guards treat Bonhoeffer?
10. What was special about the seminary at Finkenwalde?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Bonhoeffer said that our tendency to size each other up when we first meet causes discord and, in fact, even the original apostles in Scripture wondered about their ranking. Using the text, identify some of the apostles that Bonhoeffer mentioned and what they did to try to jockey for position in their respective fellowships. Then, compare their behavior to what people do in today's society (look up current events, especially in government, to see similar behavior) to jockey for position and advise whether, in your opinion, people's behavior has changed much through the centuries.
Essay Topic 2
Bonhoeffer fled to England after his critical 1933 radio broadcast in order to avoid conflict with the Nazi regime. Research what the consequences for disagreeing with or criticizing the Nazis were, then write an essay using this information to explain what the outcome of 'conflict with the Nazi regime' might have spelled for Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Make sure that you cite your references and include a bibliography.
Essay Topic 3
Define and explain, supporting with examples from the text, the three elements that Bonhoeffer says (in Chapter 1) define the meaning of Christian brethren in fellowship. In addition to the three elements defining the meaning of Christian brethren in fellowship, Bonhoeffer made, in Chapter 1, two additional claims in faith that are essential to understanding his beliefs about and his interpretation of Christian brotherhood. Using the text to support your statements, define and explain these additional claims about the nature of Christian brotherhood.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)