|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer do just before going leaving Germany for England?
2. Why did Bonhoeffer return to Germany?
3. What does Bonhoeffer belief should NOT start the day?
4. Which of these song titles is the title of an American Negro spiritual?
5. Bonhoeffer claimed that a Christian community is a ______ reality.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what did Bonhoeffer say about Christians extending mercy and forgiveness to one another?
2. According to Bonhoeffer, as an adult Christian reads the Bible daily, what should happen?
3. Why does Bonhoeffer become involved in plans to overthrow Hitler?
4. What effect did Bonhoeffer believe that living in exile, with unbelievers, could have on a Christian's faith?
5. What does the book of Apocalypse (also known as Revelation) describe?
6. Does spiritual love desire immediacy or the nearness of other human beings, according to Bonhoeffer? Why or why not?
7. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the effect of faith on logic?
8. What does the book of Genesis describe?
9. What, according to Bonhoeffer, is a Christian's source of guilt or innocence?
10. How do the prison guards treat Bonhoeffer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spirituals, as described in the Introduction, were songs that African Americans sang to each other during the dark days of their enslavement in pre-Civil War America. That Bonhoeffer became so fascinated by this genre of music, as his homeland slipped into servitude to the Nazis, is ironic. Explain the irony in the situation of Bonhoeffer's interest in slave spirituals during this time.
Essay Topic 2
What did Bonhoeffer say, in Chapter 5, are the two dangers present in hearing the confession of brothers? Support your answer with references from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Use the text to show how, in Chapter 3, Bonhoeffer resolved the apparent conflict he created between his statement that there is a Scriptural requirement that Christians live alone throughout the world and his discussion of the importance of community life.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)