|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say was the purpose of evening prayers and devotions?
2. What did Bonhoeffer do just before going leaving Germany for England?
3. What does Bonhoeffer say is the origination point of spiritual love?
4. What does Bonhoeffer belief should NOT start the day?
5. What does Bonhoeffer consider the voice of the Church to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three kinds of fellowship at table that Bonhoeffer says, in Chapter 2, are mentioned in the Bible?
2. In Chapter 1, what did Bonhoeffer say about Christians extending mercy and forgiveness to one another?
3. What does Bonhoeffer learn in childhood about Christianity that shapes his theology as an adult?
4. How do the prison guards treat Bonhoeffer?
5. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the best way for a Christian to accomplish his work? Why?
6. What effect did Bonhoeffer believe that living in exile, with unbelievers, could have on a Christian's faith?
7. Does spiritual love desire immediacy or the nearness of other human beings, according to Bonhoeffer? Why or why not?
8. How did the common morning devotions at the seminary begin, according to what we learned in Chapter 2?
9. How, according to Bonhoeffer's fellow prisoners, does his attitude consistently remain throughout his captivity, even as he becomes increasingly isolated?
10. What does the book of Genesis describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In explaining his ministry of proclaiming in Chapter 4, how did Bonhoeffer tell us to approach and confront someone who has done something wrong and needs correction? Back your answer up with examples from the text. Then, compare and contrast Bonhoeffer's guidelines with how the typical high school student tends to confront someone who has done him/her wrong.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bonhoeffer's belief that Christians should bring peace with his actions in joining a plot to overthrow Hitler and in joining the Resistance movement against the Nazis. Were Bonhoeffer's actions in contradiction with his belief that Christians should bring peace? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Use the text to show how, in Chapter 3, Bonhoeffer resolved the apparent conflict he created between his statement that there is a Scriptural requirement that Christians live alone throughout the world and his discussion of the importance of community life.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)