|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of Bonhoeffer's doctoral thesis and dissertation?
2. Why did Bonhoeffer return to Germany?
3. According to Bonhoeffer, what does the community rest in while it sleeps?
4. What Bonhoeffer's purpose in writing Chapter 1?
5. How did Bonhoeffer view Christian fellowship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Bonhoeffer believe that living in exile, with unbelievers, could have on a Christian's faith?
2. What are the three kinds of fellowship at table that Bonhoeffer says, in Chapter 2, are mentioned in the Bible?
3. Does spiritual love desire immediacy or the nearness of other human beings, according to Bonhoeffer? Why or why not?
4. How does Bonhoeffer describe visionaries?
5. In Chapter 1, what did Bonhoeffer say about Christians extending mercy and forgiveness to one another?
6. Shortly before he received the call to return to Germany and lead the seminary at Finkenwalde, what was Bonhoeffer making plans to do?
7. In Chapter 2, why is Bonhoeffer so insistent that singing should be done in unison?
8. What did Bonhoeffer say about Christian brotherhood that is perceived, or sensed? Why?
9. How did the common morning devotions at the seminary begin, according to what we learned in Chapter 2?
10. How do the prison guards treat Bonhoeffer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, Bonhoeffer spends quite a bit of time explaining his beliefs about the importance of early-morning devotions in the life of his seminary. Using examples from the text, explain:
1) the activities undertaken by the seminary community at dawn during their devotions, then analyze why it--in Bonhoeffer's opinion--would not have been equally effective for these activities to take place at lunch, or just before bed.
2) why Bonhoeffer believed Christians should begin the new day with hymns and the Word of God. Compare and contrast, your own opinion of the peaceful way that Bonhoeffer says this starts the day with the way you start a typical day. Is the way you start your day as peaceful and stress-free as the way in which Bonhoeffer's seminarians start theirs, even though they're in the middle of a war and engaging in activity their government has deemed illegal?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Bonhoeffer states that the darkness one feels while in sin poisons and isolates a sinner's heart and soul from his brethren. Explain what this means and provide examples, from society, your own life, and the text.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, Bonhoeffer explains that a person should become completely absorbed in his/her work. Write an essay comparing either your favorite and your least favorite subject or your favorite and your least favorite chore. Explain why you like the favorite and dislike the favorite, then think about and explain how you might be able to apply Bonhoeffer's principle (back your statements up with the text) about becoming absorbed in your work so as to make the disliked subject or chore less of a burden.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)