|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what does the ministry of authority depend?
(a) The seminary leader being well-qualified for the job.
(c) Enforcing the laws.
(d) Brotherly service.
2. What did Bonhoeffer say about one brother saying anything secretly against another, even with good intentions?
(a) It should be absolutely banned.
(b) He did not address it at all.
(c) There is nothing wrong with it
(d) It is permissible only if with good intentions.
3. What, according to Bonhoeffer's statements in Chapter 3, does silence for its own sake bring?
(a) Either calm and relaxation, or tiredness and boredom.
(b) Either despair and fear, or the false peace of self-enlightenment.
(c) Either anxiety and anger, or the false peace of self-deception.
(d) Either despair and fear, or the false peace of self-deception.
4. Bonhoeffer noted two evidences that one's personal time spent in prayer, meditation and intercession had put that person in real contact with the strengthening and purifying power of God. One of the reasons is listed below; indicate it:
(a) The environment of the person's workaday world.
(b) What the person chooses to do for recreational time.
(c) The nature of the person's relationships throughout the day.
(d) What the person wears.
5. What did Bonhoeffer claim is a benefit of the ministry of helpfulness?
(a) It helps the brother understand how much need there is in the world.
(b) It helps the brother be thankful for his career.
(c) It helps the brother learn not to take himself and his career too seriously.
(d) It helps the brother understand how important he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bonhoeffer, from whom do people need evidence of forgiveness?
2. How did Bonhoeffer compare the ministry of listening to speaking?
3. Which Bible characters does Bonhoeffer present in Chapter 3 as examples of life alone?
4. What did Bonhoeffer say that a community fellowship needs to survive and thrive?
5. According to Bonhoeffer's statements, what does meditation promise as a result of seeking God?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what did Bonhoeffer say that each man thinks he has a right to?
2. What did Bonhoeffer say should be the goal of personal meditation?
3. While discussing the various ministries, Bonhoeffer states once again that all members of a community experience sin. What did he specifically say, while discussing the ministry of bearing, about bearing with another in sin?
4. What, in Bonhoeffer's opinion, did one's learning to allow others to speak the Word of God (i.e. practice the ministry of proclaiming) allow a person to do?
5. Why did Bonhoeffer call the rules and recommendations he established in Chapter 4 "ministries?"
6. In Chapter 5, what passage of Scripture did Bonhoeffer recommend examining oneself against when asking forgiveness?
7. In Chapter 3, what did Bonhoeffer say was one of the unhealthy ways to view fellowship? Why?
8. When discussing the ministry of authority in Chapter 4, what other ministries did Bonhoeffer say had to be in effect in order for genuine spiritual authority to be present?
9. Likewise, how does Bonhoeffer describe personal prayer in Chapter 3?
10. When discussing the ministry of proclaiming, what did Bonhoeffer say we ultimately recognize when we see others as being in need of assistance, encouragement, and forgiveness?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)