|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Bonhoeffer define "justification" in Chapter 4?
(a) Freedom from sin through the grace of God.
(b) Freedom from guilt through the grace of God.
(c) Fellowship through the grace of God.
(d) Salvation through the mercy of God.
2. In Chapter 3, Bonhoeffer also introduces the concept of intercession. What is intercession?
(a) Praying for one's own needs.
(b) Praying for dead relatives.
(c) Praying for others' needs.
(d) Where two streets join.
3. According to Bonhoeffer's statements, what does meditation promise as a result of seeking God?
(a) Oneness with the universe.
(d) World peace.
4. Bonhoeffer said that sin ________ confessed individually to every brother.
(a) Needs to be.
(b) Does not need to be.
(c) Might need to be, depending on the sin committed,
(d) Ought to be.
5. In the context of Chapter 5, what is making a mistake also known as?
(a) Screwing up.
(b) Missing the mark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Bonhoeffer's statements in Chapter 3, does silence for its own sake bring?
2. According to Bonhoeffer, what makes a person feel alone?
3. Bonhoeffer says that one truly becomes a brother only if:
4. What does Bonhoeffer say that praying for intercession enables the members of a community to see each other as?
5. According to Bonhoeffer, what does the whole life of a Christian consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what kind of brother did Bonhoeffer say may better understand another's confession of sin?
2. What did Bonhoeffer claim that regular, scheduled time for personal meditation, prayer, and intercession would demonstrate for a community member?
3. Why did Bonhoeffer call the rules and recommendations he established in Chapter 4 "ministries?"
4. Why does Bonhoeffer believe that the cross destroys human pride at its root?
5. What is Bonhoeffer's objective in Chapter 4?
6. When discussing the ministry of authority in Chapter 4, what other ministries did Bonhoeffer say had to be in effect in order for genuine spiritual authority to be present?
7. In Chapter 3, what did Bonhoeffer say was one of the unhealthy ways to view fellowship? Why?
8. What did Bonhoeffer say was the result of resisting weakening by giving in to sin in the day spent alone?
9. In Chapter 5, what passage of Scripture did Bonhoeffer recommend examining oneself against when asking forgiveness?
10. In presenting the ministry of holding one's tongue, what did Bonhoeffer say was completely removed if evil thoughts were not permitted to be said aloud, and if community members were absolutely banned from saying anything in secret about one another?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)