|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the confidence, according to Bonhoeffer, with which one can offer intercession for another?
(a) Knowing oneself is being borne as well.
(b) Knowing that God is merciful.
(c) Knowing that God hears prayer.
(d) Knowing that someone will always be there to listen.
2. What are the two primary things Bonhoeffer discusses in Chapter 5?
(a) Salvation and baptism.
(b) Confession and communion.
(c) Community and solitude.
(d) Grace and mercy.
3. In Chapter 5, when did Bonhoeffer say a brother needed some way to restore himself to community?
(a) When he returns from an extended period of solitude and silence.
(b) When he returns from work.
(c) When he strikes it rich and the others become jealous.
(d) When he makes a mistake.
4. What type of person did Bonhoeffer say one should seek out as a confessor?
(a) A brother who is a close friend.
(b) A brother who understands the community's needs.
(c) A brother who can be trusted with a secret.
(d) A brother who almost never sins.
5. Not saying bad things is the ministry of:
(a) Not gossiping.
(b) Holding one's tongue.
(d) Positive thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say causes injury to a fellowship?
2. Does Bonhoeffer say that an individual is lonely while meditating?
3. If another's sin is considered to be worse to one's own, Bonhoeffer says that service to the other is not _________.
4. What did Bonhoeffer say about one brother saying anything secretly against another, even with good intentions?
5. What did Bonhoeffer say in Chapter 4 that we must remember about other members of the community in which we live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, in Bonhoeffer's opinion, did one's learning to allow others to speak the Word of God (i.e. practice the ministry of proclaiming) allow a person to do?
2. As Chapter 3 came to a close, what did Bonhoeffer say about the dimension of solitude and exile he described in community life?
3. Why did Bonhoeffer call the rules and recommendations he established in Chapter 4 "ministries?"
4. What, in Chapter 5, did Bonhoeffer say is the fullness of Christian fellowship in community?
5. When discussing the ministry of authority in Chapter 4, what other ministries did Bonhoeffer say had to be in effect in order for genuine spiritual authority to be present?
6. Why does Bonhoeffer believe that the cross destroys human pride at its root?
7. Likewise, how does Bonhoeffer describe personal prayer in Chapter 3?
8. In Chapter 3, what did Bonhoeffer say was one of the unhealthy ways to view fellowship? Why?
9. In Chapter 5, what passage of Scripture did Bonhoeffer recommend examining oneself against when asking forgiveness?
10. In Chapter 5, what did Bonhoeffer say the confessing Christian gives up by forsaking his sin?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)