|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Greek word for the type of love found in a human community, according to Bonhoeffer?
2. According to Bonhoeffer, an activity within a Christian community that is not of Jesus Christ is based on what?
(a) The Holy Spirit.
(d) Human self.
3. What did Bonhoeffer say orders and disciplines the seminarians' entire day?
(a) Daily work.
(b) Bible readings.
(c) Morning prayer.
(d) Fellowship of the table.
4. Dietrich Bonhoeffer was one of how many children?
5. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the Holy Spirit's purpose?
(a) To bring unity among all the world's religions.
(b) To bring peace to the world.
(c) To put belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior into Christians' hearts.
(d) To resolve the conflicts that inevitably develop in Christian communities.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bonhoeffer believe that is it possible for Christians to remain together spiritually, even when scattered throughout the world?
2. After the morning meal, what is the next event in a typical day at the seminary and how long does it last?
3. What was Bonhoeffer's daily reading/listening recommendation for devotions?
4. According to Bonhoeffer, in a human community, what are weaker individuals influenced by?
5. What did Bonhoeffer decide to study at the age of sixteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bonhoeffer describe visionaries?
2. In Chapter 2, how does Bonhoeffer use the times of day and night as images to illustrate Christ's effect on the world?
3. Why does Bonhoeffer say that a Christian community is different from any other form of human community?
4. In Chapter 2, why is Bonhoeffer so insistent that singing should be done in unison?
5. How did the common morning devotions at the seminary begin, according to what we learned in Chapter 2?
6. What was special about the seminary at Finkenwalde?
7. What did Bonhoeffer say about Christian brotherhood that is perceived, or sensed? Why?
8. What, according to Bonhoeffer, is a Christian's source of guilt or innocence?
9. In Bonhoeffer's opinion, as expressed in Chapter 2, how do Christians discover the unity that can be found through a day's work?
10. Why did Bonhoeffer move to England after his 1933 radio lecture that was critical of the German people's support of Hitler?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)