|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer believe that the reading of Scripture helps teach?
(a) Man's history primarily for the sake of salvation.
(b) Literacy and self-discipline.
(c) Doctrine and religious asceticism.
(d) Love for our fellow man and an appreciation for all religions.
2. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the purpose of the fellowship that takes place when meals are shared at the table?
(a) It is an occasion to get nourishment and complain about how hard life is.
(b) It is a chance to gorge oneself and establish one's position in the seminary.
(c) It is an occasion to rejoice and celebrate the working day.
(d) It is a chance to win the favor of Bonhoeffer by volunteering to do extra work around the seminary.
3. What does Bonhoeffer consider the voice of the Church to be?
(a) Singing as one (that is, in unison).
(b) Reading Scripture aloud.
(c) Instrumental music.
(d) Singing in four-part harmony.
4. What did Bonhoeffer say was the purpose of evening prayers and devotions?
(a) They were used to air grievances and build cases in ongoing disputes.
(b) They were used to discipline anyone who had broken the rules that day.
(c) They were used to heal any discord or right any wrong done during the day.
(d) They were used to prove who was right and who was wrong in whatever discord had taken place that day.
5. What did Bonhoeffer say is the source of human love? What can unfulfilled human love easily become?
(a) Desire for things; greed.
(b) Desire for things; materialism.
(c) Desire for another; loneliness.
(d) Desire for another; hatred.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Bonhoeffer makes the following statement: "The Christian understands that the burden and labor of the day gives meaning to ______."
2. Who became one of Bonhoeffer's teachers?
3. What does Bonhoeffer say pastors and congregants should do about the community they find themselves in?
4. Bonhoeffer firmly believed that a brotherhood is bound together by:
5. Bonhoeffer believed in the Christian doctrine of a triune God. What is the definition of this doctrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what source did Bonhoeffer use to establish how a community should live together? Why?
2. What are the three kinds of fellowship at table that Bonhoeffer says, in Chapter 2, are mentioned in the Bible?
3. In Bonhoeffer's opinion, as expressed in Chapter 2, how do Christians discover the unity that can be found through a day's work?
4. What does the book of Apocalypse (also known as Revelation) describe?
5. How do the prison guards treat Bonhoeffer?
6. What does Bonhoeffer learn in childhood about Christianity that shapes his theology as an adult?
7. How did the common morning devotions at the seminary begin, according to what we learned in Chapter 2?
8. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the best way for a Christian to accomplish his work? Why?
9. In Chapter 2, how does Bonhoeffer use the times of day and night as images to illustrate Christ's effect on the world?
10. What was special about the seminary at Finkenwalde?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)