|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Dietrich Bonhoeffer return to Germany?
2. Bonhoeffer claimed that a Christian community is a ______ reality.
3. According to Bonhoeffer, a daily reading of ______ is not the same as reading of the Scripture as a whole.
(a) Hitler's latest propaganda.
(b) Short verses.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The Psalter.
4. What does Bonhoeffer state that the duty of a Christian is?
(a) To follow the example of Christ by only interacting with the friends of God.
(b) To follow the example of Christ by bringing peace while living among the enemies of God.
(c) To follow the example of Christ by waging war against the enemies of God.
(d) To follow the example of Christ by hiding together away from the world and waiting for His return.
5. Which of the following is a true statement about what Christians can expect regarding being able to spend time in person with other Christians?
(a) According to the Bible, Christians rarely receive the privilege of living together with other Christians.
(b) According to the Bible, Christians will never have other Christians to live with.
(c) According to the Bible, Christians will sometimes have other Christians to live with and will sometimes be alone.
(d) According to the Bible, Christians will always have other Christians to live with.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christians see Bonhoeffer as having died for his faith. What term is applied to this?
2. Ten years after Bonhoeffer's death, what event takes place in commemoration of his sacrifice?
3. According to Bonhoeffer, what is work a cure for?
4. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the Holy Spirit's purpose?
5. What did Bonhoeffer decide to study at the age of sixteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the common morning devotions at the seminary begin, according to what we learned in Chapter 2?
2. Why did Bonhoeffer move to England after his 1933 radio lecture that was critical of the German people's support of Hitler?
3. Shortly before he received the call to return to Germany and lead the seminary at Finkenwalde, what was Bonhoeffer making plans to do?
4. What effect did Bonhoeffer believe that living in exile, with unbelievers, could have on a Christian's faith?
5. Why does Bonhoeffer become involved in plans to overthrow Hitler?
6. How, according to Bonhoeffer's fellow prisoners, does his attitude consistently remain throughout his captivity, even as he becomes increasingly isolated?
7. What does the book of Apocalypse (also known as Revelation) describe?
8. In Bonhoeffer's opinion, as expressed in Chapter 2, how do Christians discover the unity that can be found through a day's work?
9. In Chapter 1, what did Bonhoeffer say about Christians extending mercy and forgiveness to one another?
10. In Chapter 1, what source did Bonhoeffer use to establish how a community should live together? Why?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)