|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the day begin at the seminary?
(a) With calisthenics.
(b) With air-raid drills.
(c) With breakfast.
(d) With devotions.
2. What does Bonhoeffer say is the sole and entire purpose of Christian community fellowship together?
(a) Making lots of money.
(b) Encouraging one another.
(c) The Word of God.
(d) Surviving the Nazi threat.
3. What, according to Bonhoeffer, is God's Word?
(a) The whole and entire Bible.
(b) The Old Testament only.
(c) Any spiritual text, from any religion.
(d) Whatever parts of the Bible an individual believes and agrees with.
4. Who is arrested along with Bonhoeffer in 1943?
(a) His sister and brother.
(b) His sister and brother-in-law.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His wife and children.
5. What does Bonhoeffer say is the origination point of spiritual love?
(a) Christ and His Word.
(b) God the Father.
(c) The brother.
(d) The enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Greek word for the type of love found in a human community, according to Bonhoeffer?
2. At which U.S. school did Bonhoeffer study Niebuhr and fall in love with American Negro spirituals?
3. In which concentration camp was Bonhoeffer executed, on April 9, 1945?
4. What did Bonhoeffer say orders and disciplines the seminarians' entire day?
5. Bonhoeffer stated that "One can either believe or see, but faith has no need to see in order to ________. Seeing does not need to believe in order to see."
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three kinds of fellowship at table that Bonhoeffer says, in Chapter 2, are mentioned in the Bible?
2. When Bonhoeffer returns to Berlin after his term at Union Theological Seminary, what does he do?
3. What does the book of Genesis describe?
4. What was special about the seminary at Finkenwalde?
5. How, according to Bonhoeffer's fellow prisoners, does his attitude consistently remain throughout his captivity, even as he becomes increasingly isolated?
6. In Chapter 1, what source did Bonhoeffer use to establish how a community should live together? Why?
7. What does Bonhoeffer learn in childhood about Christianity that shapes his theology as an adult?
8. Why did Bonhoeffer move to England after his 1933 radio lecture that was critical of the German people's support of Hitler?
9. According to Bonhoeffer, what do the books of the Bible between Genesis and Apocalypse describe?
10. Why does Bonhoeffer say that a Christian community is different from any other form of human community?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)