|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the context of Chapter 5, what did Bonhoeffer say that Jesus' crucifixion and death on the cross destroys?
(a) Faith and hope.
(b) Sin and death.
(c) Hatred and prejudice.
(d) Human pride.
2. Besides being a complete action in itself, what did Bonhoeffer say that confession is a preparatory step for?
(a) Holy Communion.
(c) Evening devotions.
3. What did Bonhoeffer say that confession does to sin?
(a) It overemphasizes it.
(b) It minimizes it.
(c) It hides it in darkness.
(d) It exposes it to light.
4. What type of person did Bonhoeffer say one should seek out as a confessor?
(a) A brother who almost never sins.
(b) A brother who can be trusted with a secret.
(c) A brother who understands the community's needs.
(d) A brother who is a close friend.
5. What is the apparent conflict that Chapter 3 raises?
(a) Making money vs. sharing everything one owns with others.
(b) Living alone vs. community life.
(c) Having private devotional time vs. having community devotional time.
(d) Obeying the law vs. resisting the Nazis.
6. In Chapter 3, Bonhoeffer also introduces the concept of intercession. What is intercession?
(a) Praying for others' needs.
(b) Praying for dead relatives.
(c) Where two streets join.
(d) Praying for one's own needs.
7. If another's sin is considered to be worse to one's own, Bonhoeffer says that service to the other is not _________.
(b) Blessed by God.
8. What is the reverse of the concept put forth in the previous question?
(a) The ability to spend time alone is essential to solitude.
(b) The ability to spend time alone is essential to fellowship.
(c) The ability to spend time alone is essential to faith.
(d) The ability to spend time together is essential to fellowship.
9. What, according to Bonhoeffer, should be a primary concern in personal intercession?
(a) Those being persecuted by the Nazis.
(b) World events and crises.
(c) Those in the fellowship who have asked for assistance.
(d) One's own personal needs.
10. What, according to Bonhoeffer's statements in Chapter 3, does silence for its own sake bring?
(a) Either anxiety and anger, or the false peace of self-deception.
(b) Either despair and fear, or the false peace of self-deception.
(c) Either calm and relaxation, or tiredness and boredom.
(d) Either despair and fear, or the false peace of self-enlightenment.
11. What does Bonhoeffer say that praying for intercession enables the members of a community to see each other as?
(c) Better than the others.
12. The ministry that requires that one think highly of others and little of oneself to serve them is the ministry of:
(a) Helpfulness, or thoughtfulness.
(b) Humility, or humbleness.
(c) Meekness, or gentleness.
(d) Meekness, or humility.
13. According to Bonhoeffer, what makes a person feel alone?
(a) Being in solitude for too long.
(b) Being in exile.
(c) An act of sin.
(d) Persecution for one's beliefs.
14. According to Bonhoeffer, why did Christ become man?
(a) So all mankind can believe in him.
(b) Bonhoeffer didn't believe that Christ became man.
(c) So all mankind can believe in him as Brother.
(d) So all mankind can see that God is love.
15. Does Bonhoeffer say that an individual is lonely while meditating?
(a) No, meditation is not lonely.
(b) Sometimes, meditation can be lonely.
(c) Yes, meditation is lonely.
(d) It depends on the individual.
Short Answer Questions
1. When one falls into the habit of saying nothing at all, ever (which Bonhoeffer did not endorse), what desire did Bonhoeffer say could declare itself?
2. According to what Bonhoeffer says, a ______ individual wants to be his own law.
3. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the ministry of authority?
4. What did Bonhoeffer say about one brother saying anything secretly against another, even with good intentions?
5. What character trait is practiced through the ministry of helpfulness, according to Bonhoeffer?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)