|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say that personal time for meditation, prayer, and intercession should be considered?
(a) A burden.
(b) A privilege.
(c) A right.
(d) An option.
2. What does Bonhoeffer say about meditation?
(a) It is the means to self-actualization.
(b) It is the way to enlightenment.
(c) It is the way to Nirvana.
(d) It is an essential part of community.
3. What character trait is practiced through the ministry of helpfulness, according to Bonhoeffer?
4. What does Bonhoeffer say about the law of Christ, which he believes is fulfilled in the cross?
(a) Christians must share in it just as they bear each other's burdens.
(b) Christians can never live up to it.
(c) The law of Christ has no relationship to bearing one another's burdens.
(d) It frees Christians from the need to support each other.
5. In the context of Chapter 5, what did Bonhoeffer say that Jesus' crucifixion and death on the cross destroys?
(a) Human pride.
(b) Hatred and prejudice.
(c) Sin and death.
(d) Faith and hope.
6. What did Bonhoeffer say that the confession of sin enables?
(a) Gossip and teasing.
(b) Conversion to a new beginning in Christ.
(c) Experience in swallowing one's pride.
(d) Continuance in the sin.
7. According to Bonhoeffer, the ministry of listening is the ministry of:
(a) Supporting one another.
(b) Paying attention to one another.
(d) Listening to one another.
8. How far in advance of the Lord's Supper did Bonhoeffer say that the brethren should assemble together to beg forgiveness of each other?
(a) Two days before.
(b) An hour before.
(c) The day before.
(d) The week before.
9. According to what Bonhoeffer says, a ______ individual wants to be his own law.
10. Before Bonhoeffer accepted his position at the seminary, he was considering going to India. What was he going to do in India?
(a) Recruit Nazis.
(b) Missionary work.
(c) Study pacifism.
(d) Convert to Hinduism.
11. Bonhoeffer says that one truly becomes a brother only if:
(a) Another becomes a burden.
(b) He is willing to die for another.
(c) He unselfishly helps others.
(d) He contributes to the income of the community.
12. When one falls into the habit of saying nothing at all, ever (which Bonhoeffer did not endorse), what desire did Bonhoeffer say could declare itself?
(a) To dominate.
(b) To sleep all day.
(c) To talk nonstop.
(d) To become a hermit.
13. What does Bonhoeffer say about the habits of self-justifying and judging others?
(a) They are normal human behavior.
(b) They are good.
(c) They are evil.
(d) They are sin.
14. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the purpose and goal of confession?
(a) Getting good dirt on your brothers.
(b) Establishing a pecking order in the fellowship.
(c) Both penance and forgiveness of sin.
(d) Forgiveness of sin alone.
15. What is the reverse of the concept put forth in the previous question?
(a) The ability to spend time alone is essential to fellowship.
(b) The ability to spend time alone is essential to solitude.
(c) The ability to spend time alone is essential to faith.
(d) The ability to spend time together is essential to fellowship.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bonhoeffer, what is one of the incorrect reasons for seeking others' company?
2. The ministry that requires that one think highly of others and little of oneself to serve them is the ministry of:
3. What did Bonhoeffer say is a possible downside to listening, serving, and bearing that the ministry of proclaiming can help correct?
4. According to Bonhoeffer, what does the whole life of a Christian consist of?
5. What, according to Bonhoeffer, enables God's redeeming help to another?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)