|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say offers divine help?
2. What are the two primary things Bonhoeffer discusses in Chapter 5?
(a) Confession and communion.
(b) Grace and mercy.
(c) Salvation and baptism.
(d) Community and solitude.
3. What does Bonhoeffer say that both intercession and personal prayer should be related to?
(a) The tasks at hand for the day.
(b) The scriptural passage used in meditation.
(c) Current events.
(d) The person for whom one is interceding.
4. What did Bonhoeffer say renews the unity of true fellowship in Jesus Christ?
(a) Confessing sin.
(b) Community devotions.
(d) Holy Communion.
5. According to Bonhoeffer, what has broken one's fellowship both with God and with one's brethren?
6. What does Bonhoeffer put forth as proof that there is a need for service to others?
(a) The initial reaction when one brother meets another.
(b) The different social classes in society.
(c) The existence of hunger.
(d) The existence of poverty.
7. According to Bonhoeffer, what happens when one receives God's mercy?
(a) A desire to serve God.
(b) A desire to serve the community.
(c) A desire to serve others.
(d) A desire to serve oneself.
8. What did Bonhoeffer say in Chapter 4 that we must remember about other members of the community in which we live?
(a) They need assistance, encouragement and forgiveness.
(b) They are all better than us and we should consider ourselves lucky they put up with us.
(c) They are victims of their circumstances and upbringing, and need government help just like us.
(d) They deserve criticism, scorn, and a swift kick in the rear.
9. According to Bonhoeffer, what is one of the incorrect reasons for seeking others' company?
(a) Fear of persecution.
(b) Fear of being alone.
(c) Desire for fellowship.
(d) Desire to help others.
10. Based on what Bonhoeffer says in Chapter 4, which of the elements of personal devotional time that he described in Chapter 3 tie in with the ministry of bearing?
11. What was the second evidence, according to Bonhoeffer, that a person's time spent in meditation, prayer, and intercession had put him in contact with God?
(a) He became very narrow minded.
(b) His faith increased over time.
(c) He became able to work miracles.
(d) He became a more tolerant person.
12. What does Bonhoeffer say about the habits of self-justifying and judging others?
(a) They are good.
(b) They are sin.
(c) They are evil.
(d) They are normal human behavior.
13. What did Bonhoeffer say that the confession of sin enables?
(a) Gossip and teasing.
(b) Continuance in the sin.
(c) Conversion to a new beginning in Christ.
(d) Experience in swallowing one's pride.
14. What did Bonhoeffer say about the man who is in sin and who has yet to confess it?
(a) He should be scorned and gossiped about.
(b) He should be envied and put on a pedestal.
(c) He should be pitied and felt sorry for.
(d) He is alone and separated from the community.
15. What did Bonhoeffer say about one's ability to keep one's thoughts on track and focus during meditation?
(a) Thoughts often wander and it is difficult to maintain focus.
(b) If one cannot control one's thoughts and maintain focus, the penalty is ejection from the community.
(c) It is easy to keep one's thoughts on track and maintain one's focus.
(d) When one's thoughts wander and when one's focus is lost, it's not the right time for meditation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say causes injury to a fellowship?
2. What level of importance does Bonhoeffer place on intercession?
3. On what does Bonhoeffer recommend individuals meditate?
4. Bonhoeffer says that listening to the Word of God is the beginning of:
5. Bonhoeffer says that one truly becomes a brother only if:
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)