|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bonhoeffer say that Christians should receive each other?
(a) According to their social standing, power, and influence.
(b) In reverence, humility and joy as they would Jesus Himself.
(c) According to their position in the church and community.
(d) According to their education, talent, and abilities.
2. What is the title of Bonhoeffer's first book?
(a) Life Together.
(b) Act and Being.
(c) Creation and Fall.
3. What is the last book of the Bible?
(d) Apocalypse (Revelation).
4. At the seminary, what are the first sounds of the dawn?
(a) Pots banging together and showers running.
(b) Roosters and alarm clocks.
(d) Hymns and the Word of God.
5. Which of the following is a true statement about what Christians can expect regarding being able to spend time in person with other Christians?
(a) According to the Bible, Christians will always have other Christians to live with.
(b) According to the Bible, Christians will sometimes have other Christians to live with and will sometimes be alone.
(c) According to the Bible, Christians rarely receive the privilege of living together with other Christians.
(d) According to the Bible, Christians will never have other Christians to live with.
6. Bonhoeffer believed that the Christian community belongs to one another and is able to fellowship together only through and in...
(a) Jesus Christ.
(d) The Bible.
7. According to Bonhoeffer, what is work a cure for?
(a) Unbelief and mistrust.
(b) Fear and anxiety.
(c) Greed and gluttony.
(d) Laziness and lethargy.
8. After the Gestapo closes down Bonhoeffer's seminary and forbids him to teach, what does he do?
(a) He becomes involved in a plot to overthrow Hitler.
(b) He becomes a secret agent for the Allies.
(c) He goes into hiding.
(d) He joins the Nazi Party.
9. What does the noontime break remind the community members, according to Bonhoeffer?
(a) Their work provides their daily bread; they need to work even harder.
(b) Their work provides their daily bread; they need to thank God that they have jobs.
(c) Their work does not provide daily bread; it is God's gift of grace.
(d) Their work does not provide daily bread; they need to be grateful to Bonhoeffer for sheltering them.
10. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the Holy Spirit's purpose?
(a) To put belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior into Christians' hearts.
(b) To resolve the conflicts that inevitably develop in Christian communities.
(c) To bring peace to the world.
(d) To bring unity among all the world's religions.
11. Bonhoeffer firmly believed that a brotherhood is bound together by:
(d) Shared possessions.
12. How does Bonhoeffer believe Christians should pray together to God?
(a) Using only passages of Scripture that are appropriate.
(b) Using only pre-written, scripted prayers authorized by the Church.
(c) In their own words (free prayer).
(d) Silently, never out loud.
13. In which country had Bonhoeffer been living prior to his return to Germany?
(a) The United States.
14. How did Bonhoeffer view Christian fellowship?
(a) A gift of faith; a privilege.
(b) A gift of love; a promise.
(c) A gift of grace; a privilege.
(d) An unalienable right; a promise.
15. Who signed the execution order that authorized Bonhoeffer's execution?
(a) Hermann Goering.
(b) Heinrich Himmler.
(c) Albert Speer.
(d) Adolf Hitler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer believe that experiencing loneliness could do for Christians?
2. What does Bonhoeffer call work?
3. On April 8, 1945, when Bonhoeffer is taken to death row to be hanged the following day, what is he doing when he is taken from his cell?
4. In Chapter 2, Bonhoeffer makes the following statement: "The Christian understands that the burden and labor of the day gives meaning to ______."
5. After Life Together, Bonhoeffer publishes two additional books before which following event happens?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)