|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Life Together, Bonhoeffer publishes two additional books before which following event happens?
(a) He is thrown into prison.
(b) The government forbids him to write or publish.
(c) Hitler dies.
(d) The seminary is closed.
2. What does Bonhoeffer call work?
(a) A necessary evil.
(b) The "Thou."
(c) Life's ultimate purpose.
(d) The "it."
3. At the seminary, what are the first sounds of the dawn?
(b) Roosters and alarm clocks.
(c) Hymns and the Word of God.
(d) Pots banging together and showers running.
4. What was the title of Bonhoeffer's doctoral thesis and dissertation?
(b) Life Together.
(c) Act and Being.
(d) Creation and Fall.
5. What does Bonhoeffer consider the voice of the Church to be?
(a) Instrumental music.
(b) Singing as one (that is, in unison).
(c) Singing in four-part harmony.
(d) Reading Scripture aloud.
6. Bonhoeffer claimed that a Christian community is a ______ reality.
7. Who is arrested along with Bonhoeffer in 1943?
(a) His sister and brother-in-law.
(b) His wife and children.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His sister and brother.
8. Which of the following is a true statement about what Christians can expect regarding being able to spend time in person with other Christians?
(a) According to the Bible, Christians rarely receive the privilege of living together with other Christians.
(b) According to the Bible, Christians will always have other Christians to live with.
(c) According to the Bible, Christians will never have other Christians to live with.
(d) According to the Bible, Christians will sometimes have other Christians to live with and will sometimes be alone.
9. Bonhoeffer's writings boil down to which following Scriptural statement?
(a) Christ's call is to come and serve others.
(b) Christ's call is to be peaceful and not offend.
(c) Christ's call is to unity and reconciliation.
(d) Christ's call is to come and die.
10. After the Gestapo closes down Bonhoeffer's seminary and forbids him to teach, what does he do?
(a) He becomes a secret agent for the Allies.
(b) He joins the Nazi Party.
(c) He becomes involved in a plot to overthrow Hitler.
(d) He goes into hiding.
11. Life Together is the English translation of which German phrase?
(a) Gemeinsames Leben.
(b) Alles Zusammen.
(c) Leben Gemeinsames.
(d) Gemeinsames Zusammen.
12. Dietrich Bonhoeffer was one of how many children?
13. What did Bonhoeffer say orders and disciplines the seminarians' entire day?
(a) Fellowship of the table.
(b) Daily work.
(c) Morning prayer.
(d) Bible readings.
14. What is the first book of the Bible?
(b) Apocalypse (Revelation).
15. What does Bonhoeffer say pastors and congregants should do about the community they find themselves in?
(a) Analyze their fellow believers and help them fix all their problems.
(b) Make as many friends as possible and form a network of cliques.
(c) Examine themselves and thank God for a chance to grow.
(d) Complain and gossip about their fellow believers every chance they get.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Bonhoeffer's purpose in writing Chapter 1?
2. How does Bonhoeffer believe that is it possible for Christians to remain together spiritually, even when scattered throughout the world?
3. What did Bonhoeffer believe that human egos did to human relationships, without Christ's mediating influence?
4. When the day's work was completed, what happened at Bonhoeffer's seminary?
5. What did Bonhoeffer do just before going leaving Germany for England?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)