|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Day with Others.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bonhoeffer consider the voice of the Church to be?
(a) Instrumental music.
(b) Singing in four-part harmony.
(c) Singing as one (that is, in unison).
(d) Reading Scripture aloud.
2. Who is arrested along with Bonhoeffer in 1943?
(a) His mother and father.
(b) His sister and brother-in-law.
(c) His wife and children.
(d) His sister and brother.
3. According to Bonhoeffer, what was the first element that defined a Christian fellowship?
(a) Christians realize that it is safer for them to "go it alone" against the Nazis; to be together will be more dangerous. They will need to trust God to provide them individually with the resources they need to survive.
(b) Christians need others because of Jesus Christ; they realize their own resources are not adequate to get them through life.
(c) Christians need others in order to survive the Nazis; they realize their own resources are not adequate to get them through the war.
(d) Christians realize they don't need anyone else; they are self-sufficient in their own resources and can make it on their own.
4. What is the overarching theme of Life Together?
(a) The Christian practices, beliefs, and principles by which Bonhoeffer leads his seminarians in daily life together.
(b) An illustration of spiritual life in an illegal, secret Protestant seminary within the historical context of Nazi Germany, 1935-1945.
(c) A guide to the daily spiritual devotions of the seminary's community life.
(d) An autobiography of Bonhoeffer's life.
5. What did Bonhoeffer do just before going leaving Germany for England?
(a) He publicly criticized Germans in a radio broadcast for not supporting Hitler.
(b) He publicly criticized Hitler in a radio broadcast for not moving faster to make the Third Reich a reality.
(c) He publicly criticized Germans in a radio broadcast for supporting Hitler.
(d) He publicly criticized the Allies in a radio broadcast for remaining neutral while Hitler gained power.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bonhoeffer, the Christian community must learn to thank God daily for _____ things before learning to appreciate great things.
2. What did Bonhoeffer believe that the reading of Scripture helps teach?
3. How does the day begin at the seminary?
4. According to Bonhoeffer, what was the second element that defined a Christian fellowship?
5. What does Bonhoeffer say is the sole and entire purpose of Christian community fellowship together?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)