|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Day Alone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bonhoeffer, what is the Holy Spirit's purpose?
(a) To bring peace to the world.
(b) To bring unity among all the world's religions.
(c) To put belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior into Christians' hearts.
(d) To resolve the conflicts that inevitably develop in Christian communities.
2. What did Bonhoeffer believe that experiencing loneliness could do for Christians?
(a) It enables them to recognize the presence of Christ in each other.
(b) It enables them to recognize each other in the presence of Christ.
(c) It could make them loners, unwilling to properly participate in church life.
(d) It could discourage them and cause them to give up their faith.
3. According to Bonhoeffer, in a human community, what are weaker individuals influenced by?
(a) The whole community.
(b) Stronger individuals.
(d) The Holy Spirit.
4. What did Bonhoeffer do just before going leaving Germany for England?
(a) He publicly criticized the Allies in a radio broadcast for remaining neutral while Hitler gained power.
(b) He publicly criticized Hitler in a radio broadcast for not moving faster to make the Third Reich a reality.
(c) He publicly criticized Germans in a radio broadcast for not supporting Hitler.
(d) He publicly criticized Germans in a radio broadcast for supporting Hitler.
5. After the Gestapo closes down Bonhoeffer's seminary and forbids him to teach, what does he do?
(a) He goes into hiding.
(b) He becomes a secret agent for the Allies.
(c) He joins the Nazi Party.
(d) He becomes involved in a plot to overthrow Hitler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bonhoeffer say about one's ability to keep one's thoughts on track and focus during meditation?
2. How does Bonhoeffer believe Christians should pray together to God?
3. According to Bonhoeffer, solitude and silence are __________ to the individual and to the community.
4. In 1939, what does Dietrich Bonhoeffer commit himself to supporting?
5. Who signed the execution order that authorized Bonhoeffer's execution?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)