|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country's drug laws inspired Governor Rockefeller's drug laws?
2. Where does Elaine go grocery shopping in Chapter 20?
3. Elaine gives $10 to her sister-in-law, but what is the first thing she buys for herself?
4. What sent Jamel to prison a second time in Chapter 14?
5. What journalist turns Elaine's cause into a personal crusade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Charlie, also known as George Deets.
2. Describe the vehicle that brings Elaine to Bedford Hills Prison.
3. Describe Elaine's cell at Bedford Hills Prison from Chapter Eight.
4. Describe Lora Tucker.
5. Why do you think some women have a hard time leaving Bedford Hills Prison?
6. Describe Elaine's mother.
7. What is Elaine's room at the YMCA like? Is it better than how she's been living?
8. What is it like for Apache on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota?
9. What is Alfonso Camacho's background? Do you think Alfonso Camacho is a good parole officer? Why or why not?
10. Describe Sabrina.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Part 3 of the book, Elaine makes many decisions. Sometimes she is breaking minor rules of her parole. Other times, she makes questionable decisions regarding her family. Pick one situation in which you believe that Elaine made the wrong decision or took the wrong action. Do you understand why she makes the decision that she does? In your opinion, what would have been a better option for Elaine and why?
Essay Topic 2
In "Life on the Outside," the author presents a situation in which it is easier to remain in prison than to succeed out of prison. Stories of people returning to Bedford Hills Prison are told. Jamel's repeated history in prison is another example. Do you agree with the book's message that it is easier in prison than out for the offender? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Often in a book, main characters undergo change as a result of what happens to them in the story. What kinds of changes does Elaine undergo during "Life on the Outside?" Are they changes for the better or worse?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)