|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in Elaine's family died of AIDS in 1992?
2. Which of Elaine's children participates in the summer program that Sister Elaine Roulet starts?
3. Who tells Elaine to "shut up, be quiet and listen" in Chapter 26?
4. Who is Nathan?
5. What journalist turns Elaine's cause into a personal crusade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think some women have a hard time leaving Bedford Hills Prison?
2. Elaine searches Apartment 13B for signs of her mother. What does she find?
3. What are the O'Connors of Katonah like?
4. Describe the vehicle that brings Elaine to Bedford Hills Prison.
5. What is Elaine's attitude toward men in Chapter 28 and is it working for her?
6. In Chapter 19, what does Elaine do with the $40 send-off money that the prison gave her?
7. What is Elaine's room at the YMCA like? Is it better than how she's been living?
8. Describe Elaine's cell at Bedford Hills Prison from Chapter Eight.
9. Describe Project Renewal.
10. What is Alfonso Camacho's background? Do you think Alfonso Camacho is a good parole officer? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elaine and Nathan make the decision to marry before being sentenced. Yvonne makes her strenuous objections known. Both Elaine and Nathan know for a fact that they're going to prison. So why do they decide to marry? Do they think marriage will have an effect on their sentencing?
Essay Topic 2
In the "Author's Notes," author Jennifer Gonnerman states that she relies largely upon her own observations in the telling of Elaine Bartlett's story. Do her observations color the story or is she able to maintain objectivity in the telling of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author deal with the setting of "Life on the Outside?" Does it have an effect on the tone of the book? Do you have a good sense of the prisons, the housing projects, and the locations throughout New York?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)