|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What journalist turns Elaine's cause into a personal crusade?
2. Who follows Elaine to her home in Chapter 19?
3. Who was the 77-year-old prisoner who had been at Bedford Hills longer than anyone?
4. In Chapter 14, what made someone an instant celebrity in Bedford Hills prison?
5. What is the minimum time Elaine must spend on parole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sabrina.
2. What is Elaine's attitude toward men in Chapter 28 and is it working for her?
3. Describe Jamel's appearance when Elaine visits him at Riker's Island.
4. Describe Lora Tucker.
5. How did Apache cope with life in Apartment 13B?
6. Why does the chart at the police department have Elaine two inches taller than she really is?
7. Describe Elaine's cell at Bedford Hills Prison from Chapter Eight.
8. Why did Elaine move into Apache's bedroom in Chapter 29?
9. What is the purpose of South Forty?
10. What is Alfonso Camacho's background? Do you think Alfonso Camacho is a good parole officer? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Soon after her release from prison, Elaine makes the realization that she has left one prison only to come home to another prison. Compare and contrast the two prisons in Elaine's life--Bedford Hills Prison and Apartment 13B.
Essay Topic 2
Different types of parole officers are seen in "Life on the Outside." Find out what the qualifications are to be a parole officer for the federal corrections department or within your state. Do you think the qualifications are appropriate? What makes a good parole officer? What kind of personality? Do life experiences play a role in how a parole officer works?
Essay Topic 3
Most books have a theme or a central message. What would you say the overlying message or theme for "Life on the Outside" is? Give examples to support your answer. Is it easy or difficult to know what the message is?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)