|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is South Forty?
(a) A place where Elaine gets a job.
(b) A club.
(c) An employment agency for former prisoners.
(d) A restaurant.
2. Elaine gives $10 to her sister-in-law, but what is the first thing she buys for herself?
(a) Chips and gum.
3. What job does Elaine first get at Project Renewal?
(a) Case manager.
(c) Residential aide.
4. According to Chapter 28, what do friends Elaine and Lora talk most about?
(d) Drug law reform.
5. What is the name of the first poem Lora has written since her AIDS diagnosis?
(a) "Autumn Leaves."
(b) "Silver Ribbons."
(c) "Blue Skies."
(d) "Red Dress."
6. A few months after leaving prison, Elaine discovers a copy of her birth certificate. Who is listed as her father?
(a) Frank Bartlett.
(b) Fred Bartlett.
(c) Ronald Windsor.
(d) Ronald Winslow.
7. What year were the Rockefeller drug laws passed?
8. Who writes, "I am broke now so everyone treats me like a wet shoe?"
9. What did Elaine think of the Rockefeller drug laws before she was arrested?
(a) She had never heard of them.
(b) She ignored them, thinking she wouldn't get caught.
(c) She wanted to protest against them.
(d) She believed they didn't apply to her.
10. Who follows Elaine to her home in Chapter 19?
(a) A TV news crew.
(b) Her sister-in-law.
11. Who in Elaine's family died of AIDS in 1992?
12. What sentence did Elaine receive from the judge on her case?
(a) Twenty-five to life.
(b) Twenty to life.
(c) Five to life.
(d) Fifteen to life.
13. What is Jamel wearing on his feet when he visits his mother in Chapter 22?
(a) Prison-issue shoes.
(c) Dress shoes.
(d) Tommy Hilfiger sandals.
14. What is Charlie's real name?
(a) Richard Zagorski.
(b) George Deets.
(c) Donald Weise.
(d) Kenneth Cook.
15. Who is Cassandra and what does she give Elaine as a welcome home present?
(a) Mother of Jamel's son; $1,500.
(b) Apache's girlfriend; flowers.
(c) An old friend; a new outfit.
(d) Elaine's niece; a party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the 77-year-old prisoner who had been at Bedford Hills longer than anyone?
2. Who tells Elaine about hearing her on the radio talking about the Rockefeller drug laws?
3. What prison job did Elaine have that paid 77.5 cents a day?
4. Who begins teaching classes as Bedford Hills prison in Chapter 15?
5. How much does Charlie offer Elaine to take a package of cocaine to Albany?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)