|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Twain compare steamboats to in Chapter 38?
2. What did the letter the man received in Chapter 52 say?
3. What did Twain give to a bum as a child according to Chapter 56?
4. What happened to Twain's friend's wife and child?
5. What did Twain's friend say people never skimp on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What anecdote did a professor tell to Twain Chapter 36?
2. What did Twain explain about his pen name in Chapter 50?
3. What did Twain learn about other people's opinions about him in Chapter 53?
4. What benefited laborers and plantation owners alike in Chapter 33?
5. What had become of many of the pilots Twain knew as a young man in Chapter 48?
6. What acquaintance did Twain run into when they went to Saint Louis in Chapter 51?
7. What characteristics did Uncle Remus have based on Chapter 47?
8. What did Twain say about his encounter with a friend who was an undertaker according to Chapter 43?
9. What was the manufacturing city, Natchez, like as described in Chapter 39?
10. What did Twain write about the graveyards in New Orleans based on Chapter 42?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of Ritter in Twain's life and his reasons for providing money to the first man's child.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role Mr. Bixby had in the life of Mark Twain and compare his role with that of another captain introduced by Twain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role early explorers had in America and their relationship with the Indians.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)