|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Twain say was profitable before, but were later hardly worth anything?
2. What happened to Bixby according to Chapter 49?
3. What did Twain say people in Chapter 44 were using in place of "gone"?
4. Why was Twain later shocked about the letter in Chapter 52?
5. How many lines did Twain's acquaintance have in the play he acted in?
Short Essay Questions
1. About how many people died in Vicksburg because of the war according to Chapter 35?
2. What improvement did Twain say improved in New Orleans in Chapter 41?
3. What did Twain write about St. Anne?
4. What did the homeless man do in Chapter 56?
5. Who did Twain think about when passing by Sunday School in Chapter 54?
6. What did Twain explain about his pen name in Chapter 50?
7. Who and what did Twain write about Mardi Gras in Chapter 45?
8. What did Twain write about Southern speech in Chapter 44?
9. What did Twain write about regarding Baton Rouge in Chapter 40?
10. What happened to The Gold Dust in Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that cotton played in the economy in the south, and the intended impact of the Calhoun Land Company.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the men described in "Life on the Mississippi" and compare them, finding similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Mississippi during Twain's lifetime with how the river is today.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)