|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was important in Twain's early life according to Chapter 4?
2. What is Chapter 11 about?
3. What was the main quality good pilots needed to have according to Twain in Chapter 13?
4. What did Twain try to do in Chapter 22, but failed?
5. How did Twain name the pilot who came to take his shift after Bixby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Twain paint a picture of in Chapter 4?
2. Who was Stephen?
3. What silly game was Twain playing in Chapter 24?
4. What catastrophe was described in Chapter 20?
5. Who was Brown according to Chapter 18?
6. What did Twain illustrate in Chapter 3?
7. How was the the pilot's association treated based on Chapter 15?
8. What did the Indians tell the explorers according to Chapter 2?
9. What does Twain note about captains and owners?
10. What was the Captain secretly proud of in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose an excerpt from "Huckleberry Finn" as referenced in Chapter 3, and discuss its significance in "Life on the Mississippi."
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the pilot's association, and determine why it was important for those who worked on the Mississippi and its benefits and drawbacks.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Mississippi during Twain's lifetime with how the river is today.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)