|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was doing the depth measurement according to Chapter 28?
2. What was the name of the town from which the two feuding families were from?
3. How long after the first settler saw the Mississippi did the following settler see the river?
4. Who was Bixby according to Chapter 6?
5. What did Twain discover after talking with the pilot in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bixby do that nobody thought was possible according to Chapter 7?
2. How does Mark Twain describe the river in Chapter 1?
3. What was the Captain secretly proud of in Chapter 19?
4. What did a pilot watch from the pilot cabin in Chapter 26?
5. What horrific story does Twain describe in Chapter 30?
6. Why would W have killed Twain in Chapter 8?
7. What does Twain trace back to French settlements in Chapter 23?
8. What does Twain paint a picture of in Chapter 4?
9. What two types of people did Twain describe in Chapter 11?
10. What does Twain realize about what he has to learn in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one acquaintance whom Twain runs into during his travels and examine the significance of the story or person.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role early explorers had in America and their relationship with the Indians.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the background of the Civil War and the impact that it had on the south, including its residents.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)