|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the steamboat pilots have to do to navigate the Mississippi according to Chapter 9?
2. Who was Bixby according to Chapter 6?
3. What towns did Twain write about in Chapter 23?
4. Who told Marquette that the Mississippi was dangerous?
5. Who borrowed money from everyone in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Twain do after the war according to Chapter 21?
2. What did Twain note about changes in the river in Chapter 17?
3. What did Twain describe when he returned to the river in Chapter 22?
4. What was the Captain secretly proud of in Chapter 19?
5. What did Twain remark about life after the war of 1812 in Chapter 27?
6. What did Twain illustrate in Chapter 3?
7. What was Murel's gang according to Chapter 29?
8. What two types of people did Twain describe in Chapter 11?
9. Who is Bixby in Chapter 4?
10. How does Mark Twain describe the river in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Murel gang with Jesse James and determine how these groups affected people in the south.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process of preparing bodies during Twain's life, and why he would find graveyards both beautiful and dangerous.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship with Twain and his brother, Henry or the relationship between Twain and his family as a whole.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)