|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Twain compare pilot's loss of romance toward the Mississippi to?
(a) To gravity losing its mystery for an aviator.
(b) To the human body losing its mystery for doctors.
(c) To the food losing their mystery to farmers.
(d) To the ocean losing its mystery to sea captains.
2. What city marked one of the strongest changes in traits and speeches, according to Chapter 22?
(a) Saint Louis.
(b) Baton Rouge.
(c) New Orleans.
3. What was stuck in closed off elbows in Twain's stories in Chapter 17?
(a) Ghost ships.
(b) Lost towns.
4. What did the pilot in Chapter 26 transport during the Civil War?
5. How long were steamboat pilots shifts?
(a) 4 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 8 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did the measures discussed by Twain in Chapter 28 save per load of cargo?
2. Why was Twain jealous of the boy he knew in his town?
3. Why were passengers not allowed on board during the special events in Chapter 16?
4. Who did Twain recall the stories of in Chapter 27?
5. How did the man in Chapter 17 say he would repay his debts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Twain explain about his early attempts to work on a steamboat according to Chapter 4?
2. What did Twain say in Chapter 28 about the romance of the river?
3. What was Murel's gang according to Chapter 29?
4. What does Twain trace back to French settlements in Chapter 23?
5. What does Twain realize about what he has to learn in Chapter 10?
6. How does Mark Twain describe the river in Chapter 1?
7. What two types of people did Twain describe in Chapter 11?
8. What qualities does a good pilot need based on Chapter 13?
9. What did Twain remark about life after the war of 1812 in Chapter 27?
10. What catastrophe was described in Chapter 20?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)