|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the river did Twain write about in Chapter 25?
(a) The shores.
2. What did the steamboat pilots have to do to navigate the Mississippi according to Chapter 9?
(a) Follow maps.
(b) Go straight and never deviate.
(c) Follow buoys.
(d) Read the river.
3. What did Twain have to learn besides the physical markers on the Mississippi?
(a) How high the boat was to avoid bridges.
(b) How high the river was at any given time.
(c) To follow the light on the shore.
(d) To read maps.
4. What town was next to the area Twain wrote had been important to the Union in Chapter 26?
(a) New Paris.
(b) New Berlin.
(c) New Madrid.
(d) New Grinwitch.
5. What did Twain become towards the end of his pilot training?
(a) Full of himself.
(b) A lisenced pilot.
(c) Physically strong.
6. How did the man in Chapter 17 say he would repay his debts?
(b) First come first serve.
(c) The oldest creditor to the earlier one.
(d) The earlier creditor to the older one.
7. What did Twain become after his career as a pilot?
(a) A boat captain.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A novelist.
(d) A reporter.
8. How did Twain see steamboat pilots in Chapter 14?
(a) As the freest men in America.
(b) As prisoners to the boat owners.
(c) As the freeest men on the boat.
(d) As prisoners to the Union.
9. What did pilots use to perform the task described in Chapter 12?
(a) Steel lines.
(b) Long ropes from the shore.
(d) Small boats.
10. How long did Twain stay with his brother before his death?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 8 days.
11. How long is the Mississippi River according to Chapter 1?
(a) 750 miles.
(b) 1,300 miles.
(c) 300 miles.
(d) 2,300 miles.
12. What war did Twain mention in Chapter 27?
13. Why were passengers not allowed on board during the special events in Chapter 16?
(a) So the boat would be ready to burn.
(b) So the boat would be better looking.
(c) So the boat would be safer.
(d) So the boat would be lighter.
14. What was Twain's brother's name according to Chapter 19?
15. What was required on boats at night according to Chapter 10?
(b) Guard rails.
(d) Two bridge officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Twain think of the romance of the river in Chapter 28?
2. What did Twain trace back the towns in Chapter 23 to?
3. Why was Twain on a different boat than the one he started he training on in Chapter 18?
4. When was the Mississippi first seen by a settler?
5. What trainer was hard on Twain in Chapter 18?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)