|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was special about the pilot in Twain's story in Chapter 11?
(a) There was no pilots.
(b) It was Twain himself.
(c) He was asleep.
(d) It was a trainee.
2. What is Chapter 11 about?
(a) Bridge construction.
(b) Navigating difficult pieces of the river.
(c) Navigating smaller parts of the Mississippi.
(d) Boat construction.
3. What did Twain think of the reason behind not allowing passengers to board the boats during the special events of Chapter 16?
(a) He supported it.
(b) He questioned the claim.
(c) He had no opinion on it.
(d) He produced charts to support it.
4. What war did Twain mention in Chapter 27?
5. What part of the river did Twain write about in Chapter 25?
(c) The shores.
6. Where was the man who tried to teach Twain a lesson from Chapter 30?
7. Who had to stay awake for the whole trip, according to Twain in Chapter 28?
(a) The passengers.
(b) The captain.
(c) The pilots.
(d) The boat owners.
8. What choice did the captain of the steamboat in Chapter 19 choose at the end?
(a) Brown over Twain.
(b) He fired Both Twain and Brown.
(c) Twain over Brown.
(d) He didn't take sides.
9. When was the Mississippi first seen by a settler?
10. Where did Marquette come from when he explored the Mississippi junction in Chapter 2?
(c) New York.
11. What did Twain say made the river even harder to navigate in Chapter 8?
(d) Cloudy weather.
12. What did the pilot in Chapter 26 transport during the Civil War?
13. What was the name of the gang in Chapter 29?
(a) Murel's gang.
(b) Green's gang.
(c) Rupper's gang.
(d) Liroy's gang.
14. How long were steamboat pilots shifts?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 8 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 4 hours.
15. How long is the Mississippi River according to Chapter 1?
(a) 2,300 miles.
(b) 750 miles.
(c) 1,300 miles.
(d) 300 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Bixby according to Chapter 6?
2. What changed Twain's life in Chapter 21?
3. Why was the Mississippi River attractive for people?
4. What did Twain describe in Chapter 11?
5. What stories did the pilot in Chapter 24 tell Twain?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)