|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Twain find amazing about learning to navigate the Mississippi?
(a) The teachers were not helpful.
(b) It was easy.
(c) It needed to be learned going up and downriver.
(d) The mandatory exam was open book.
2. What was required on boats at night according to Chapter 10?
(a) Guard rails.
(d) Two bridge officers.
3. How long were steamboat pilots shifts?
(a) 8 hours.
(b) 6 hours.
(c) 4 hours.
(d) 12 hours.
4. Who proved that the Mississippi emptied in the Gulf of Mexico?
(a) De La Villa.
(b) La Rosa.
(c) La Salle.
(d) La Grange.
5. When was the Mississippi first seen by a settler?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main quality good pilots needed to have according to Twain in Chapter 13?
2. Who was the first settler to see the Mississippi?
3. What was the name of the pilot in Twain's story in Chapter 14?
4. Who told Marquette that the Mississippi was dangerous?
5. How long after the first settler saw the Mississippi did the following settler see the river?
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)