|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did he do to provoke the tiger during training?
2. What of Pi's disintegrated from the sun and salt?
3. What did Pi use, lose, and re-create, to protect himself while training the tiger?
4. What did Pi bring to the tiger in the morning after they had both had a restless night's sleep?
5. How did Richard Parker react when Pi shouted a greeting to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 57, readers have their first encounter with "Prusten." What is it?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
4. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
5. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
6. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
7. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
9. In Part 3, Chapters 96 and 97, Pi told the Japanese officials what about his ordeal?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 92, Pi and Richard Parker landed on an island. Why didn't they stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a hero? Is there a hero in this story? If so, who is it? If not, why not? Support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of anthropomorphism? What role does it play in the book? Why is it important to the story? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of the story is the survival of life. How do the animals, besides the tiger, play a role in this theme?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)