|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What of Pi's disintegrated from the sun and salt?
2. What was the island made out of, which Pi ate in massive quantity?
3. What happened as starvation began to set in?
4. What did Pi use a page from his notebook for?
5. What did Pi find when he boarded the other man's boat to scavenge for food?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
2. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
3. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
4. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
7. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 57, readers have their first encounter with "Prusten." What is it?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
10. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Pi's diary in his ordeal? Is it important? Is it just "filler?" Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Orange Juice and the hyena in the story?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of the story is the survival of life. How do the animals, besides the tiger, play a role in this theme?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)