|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Pi give generously to the tiger at the cost of his own hunger and thirst?
2. What two things does Pi attribute his survival alongside Richard Parker with?
3. What did Pi do to keep Richard Parker satisfied?
4. What did the interviewing men decide had caused the ship to sink?
5. What did the interviewers want to know first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 79, Pi was entertained by the tiger's behavior with the sharks. Explain.
4. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
6. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
8. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
10. What did Pi and the tiger encounter in Part 2, Chapter 84 after the great storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which animals in the book are most like people in Pi's life? Use specific examples to explain why you chose various animals and what similar characteristics to their human counterparts they exhibit.
Essay Topic 2
Pi's ordeal involves his faith in God, his faith in himself, and his will to survive. Discuss each of these, using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)