|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were two big events in Pi's daily routine?
2. What did Pi use a page from his notebook for?
3. What was one method of Pi's escapism?
4. What emerged for Pi through the darkest times?
5. What did Pi call the tiger's snorting in and out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
2. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 79, Pi was entertained by the tiger's behavior with the sharks. Explain.
4. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
5. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
6. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 76, the author discusses Pi and the tiger's behavior regarding the tiger's feces. What does their behavior signify?
9. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
10. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which animals in the book are most like people in Pi's life? Use specific examples to explain why you chose various animals and what similar characteristics to their human counterparts they exhibit.
Essay Topic 2
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Orange Juice and the hyena in the story?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)