|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the tiger like to lean over the edge of the boat and club to death, then eat?
2. Once Pi's suffering became intense, what did he do with the greater part of his days?
3. What is life's only opponent, in the eyes of Pi?
4. What did the final report say about Pi's knowledge of the reason the ship sank?
5. What did Pi share for food with Richard Parker after butchering it?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
2. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 76, the author discusses Pi and the tiger's behavior regarding the tiger's feces. What does their behavior signify?
4. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
5. In Part 3, Chapters 96 and 97, Pi told the Japanese officials what about his ordeal?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 81, what did Pi attribute his survival with the tiger to?
8. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
9. How was Pi's sleep effected by his stress in Part 2, Chapter 68?
10. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At many times in the book, Pi nears death, as he runs low on food and the will to live. Using specific examples from the book, discuss some of these events and what Pi learns about himself through the events.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of anthropomorphism? What role does it play in the book? Why is it important to the story? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Pi's diary in his ordeal? Is it important? Is it just "filler?" Why?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)