|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the great storm one afternoon take with it?
2. What happened as starvation began to set in?
3. What did the tiger like to lean over the edge of the boat and club to death, then eat?
4. What did Pi finally realize after reading the manual written by a British Royal Navy commander?
5. What did Pi do to modify the raft?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 57, readers have their first encounter with "Prusten." What is it?
4. In Part 3, Chapters 96 and 97, Pi told the Japanese officials what about his ordeal?
5. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
7. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
8. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
9. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
10. What did Pi and the tiger encounter in Part 2, Chapter 84 after the great storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At many times in the book, Pi nears death, as he runs low on food and the will to live. Using specific examples from the book, discuss some of these events and what Pi learns about himself through the events.
Essay Topic 2
Pi's ordeal involves his faith in God, his faith in himself, and his will to survive. Discuss each of these, using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Pi's diary in his ordeal? Is it important? Is it just "filler?" Why?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)