|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after Pi discovered he was blind?
2. About how much did Pi sleep a night?
3. Since Pi had no bait, what did he cut up to fish with in the morning, after his leather shoe was unsuccessful?
4. After a few days when Pi started exploring the island, what small, furry, carnivorous animal did he find?
5. What did Pi have a hard time butchering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
3. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
4. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
5. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
8. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
9. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 92, Pi and Richard Parker landed on an island. Why didn't they stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes of the story is the survival of life. How do the animals, besides the tiger, play a role in this theme?
Essay Topic 2
At many times in the book, Pi nears death, as he runs low on food and the will to live. Using specific examples from the book, discuss some of these events and what Pi learns about himself through the events.
Essay Topic 3
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)