|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after Pi discovered he was blind?
2. What did Pi do to exert his dominance over the tiger?
3. How many steps were in Pi's plan to tame the tiger?
4. After a few days when Pi started exploring the island, what small, furry, carnivorous animal did he find?
5. Since Pi had no bait, what did he cut up to fish with in the morning, after his leather shoe was unsuccessful?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
4. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 57, readers have their first encounter with "Prusten." What is it?
6. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
7. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
8. What did Pi and the tiger encounter in Part 2, Chapter 84 after the great storm?
9. How was Pi's sleep effected by his stress in Part 2, Chapter 68?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
Essay Topic 2
Both the raft and the lifeboat prove critical to Pi's success, but in different ways. Discuss why it was important to Pi's mind to have both the raft and the lifeboat. What would have happened if Pi had never been able to make the raft? What if Pi had lost the lifeboat?
Essay Topic 3
In the early chapters, there are different descriptions of animal behavior. Choose one, and compare and contrast it to a later animal behavior or event in the book that has the same characteristics.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)