|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of storm was Pi struck with the beauty and wonder of?
2. Whose voice did Pi start to hear after he discovered he was blind?
3. What of Pi's disintegrated from the sun and salt?
4. What did Pi use, lose, and re-create, to protect himself while training the tiger?
5. Since Pi had no bait, what did he cut up to fish with in the morning, after his leather shoe was unsuccessful?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 57, readers have their first encounter with "Prusten." What is it?
2. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
3. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
5. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
6. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
7. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
8. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
9. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 76, the author discusses Pi and the tiger's behavior regarding the tiger's feces. What does their behavior signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pi develops a friendship with the tiger over time, through both taming and training. Explain the process Pi used to tame and train the tiger. Why would a training process be beneficial? Why couldn't Pi simply do this in one day? Why do you think a tiger would want to be trained?
Essay Topic 2
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a hero? Is there a hero in this story? If so, who is it? If not, why not? Support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)