|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi bring to the tiger in the morning after they had both had a restless night's sleep?
2. How many steps were in Pi's plan to tame the tiger?
3. How long did the two men dispatched to the town interview Pi for?
4. What did Pi tell the interviewers after they gave their impressions of Pi's story?
5. What did Pi finally realize after reading the manual written by a British Royal Navy commander?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 76, the author discusses Pi and the tiger's behavior regarding the tiger's feces. What does their behavior signify?
5. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 57, readers have their first encounter with "Prusten." What is it?
7. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
8. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
9. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
10. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the early chapters, there are different descriptions of animal behavior. Choose one, and compare and contrast it to a later animal behavior or event in the book that has the same characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
When Pi finds the first island, he leaves it out of fear of the island being cannibalistic. Discuss what the symbolism of this island is to Pi and to the overall story.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of the story is the survival of life. How do the animals, besides the tiger, play a role in this theme?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)