|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi wish for in his quiet days on the liftboat?
2. What did Pi do to modify the raft?
3. What else did Pi see a group of, which stayed with him an entire day?
4. What happened after Pi discovered he was blind?
5. What did Pi find solace in, even though he had to continually reconsider his place in God's universe?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
4. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 76, the author discusses Pi and the tiger's behavior regarding the tiger's feces. What does their behavior signify?
7. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
8. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
9. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
10. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pi learns he must out-smart the tiger, because he is unable to out-muscle him. Describe, using specific examples from the book, some ways that you believe Pi out-smarts the tiger. How does the tiger not know what Pi is doing? Is the tiger dumber then Pi? Does the tiger focus on different things then Pi? Did the tiger allow himself to be outsmarted?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the "circle of life and death" is exhibited before the shipwreck in the zoo, and after the shipwreck in the lifeboat.
Essay Topic 3
Pi's ordeal involves his faith in God, his faith in himself, and his will to survive. Discuss each of these, using specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)