|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Pi's suffering became intense, what did he do with the greater part of his days?
2. What did Pi do to exert his dominance over the tiger?
3. What did the interviewers tell Pi they thought about his story?
4. When Pi awoke in the middle of the night and saw the huge moonlit sky before him, what did he think about with regards to himself and the rest of the sea?
5. What emerged for Pi through the darkest times?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 79, Pi was entertained by the tiger's behavior with the sharks. Explain.
2. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
3. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
5. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
6. How was Pi's sleep effected by his stress in Part 2, Chapter 68?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 57, readers have their first encounter with "Prusten." What is it?
9. In Part 3, Chapters 96 and 97, Pi told the Japanese officials what about his ordeal?
10. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the early chapters, there are different descriptions of animal behavior. Choose one, and compare and contrast it to a later animal behavior or event in the book that has the same characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Pi learns he must out-smart the tiger, because he is unable to out-muscle him. Describe, using specific examples from the book, some ways that you believe Pi out-smarts the tiger. How does the tiger not know what Pi is doing? Is the tiger dumber then Pi? Does the tiger focus on different things then Pi? Did the tiger allow himself to be outsmarted?
Essay Topic 3
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)