|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Pi had no bait, what did he cut up to fish with in the morning, after his leather shoe was unsuccessful?
2. What was an act of deference by the tiger to Pi?
3. What did Pi and Richard Parker come eye to eye with after the great storm?
4. What was one thing Pi was concerned and obsessed about not having enough of?
5. What did Pi discover, days after the tiger started rubbing his eyes and meowing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
2. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
5. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
6. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
7. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
8. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
9. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
10. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the "circle of life and death" is exhibited before the shipwreck in the zoo, and after the shipwreck in the lifeboat.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Orange Juice and the hyena in the story?
Essay Topic 3
How do Pi's religious views shape his view of his ordeal?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)