|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the final report say about Pi's knowledge of the reason the ship sank?
2. What was the island made out of, which Pi ate in massive quantity?
3. Where did Pi, Richard Parker, and the lifeboat, finally land?
4. What did Pi start to follow after his food supplies run low?
5. What did Pi find solace in, even though he had to continually reconsider his place in God's universe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 79, Pi was entertained by the tiger's behavior with the sharks. Explain.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
4. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 92, Pi and Richard Parker landed on an island. Why didn't they stay?
6. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
7. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
9. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
10. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
Essay Topic 2
Pi's ordeal involves his faith in God, his faith in himself, and his will to survive. Discuss each of these, using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Pi develops a friendship with the tiger over time, through both taming and training. Explain the process Pi used to tame and train the tiger. Why would a training process be beneficial? Why couldn't Pi simply do this in one day? Why do you think a tiger would want to be trained?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)