|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi discover, days after the tiger started rubbing his eyes and meowing?
2. What did a British Royal Navy commander write that Pi took the time to read?
3. What did the manual suggest Pi drink as a nutritious drink?
4. What kind of vessel came close to Pi and the tiger, bringing with it a hope of rescue, and later leaving Pi with a longing feeling and a promise to deliver the tiger to land?
5. Where were the two men from who were dispatched to the town where Pi recovered in an effort to interview him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
2. What did Pi and the tiger encounter in Part 2, Chapter 84 after the great storm?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
4. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
5. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
6. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
7. How was Pi's sleep effected by his stress in Part 2, Chapter 68?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
9. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
10. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Pi finds the first island, he leaves it out of fear of the island being cannibalistic. Discuss what the symbolism of this island is to Pi and to the overall story.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Pi's diary in his ordeal? Is it important? Is it just "filler?" Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of anthropomorphism? What role does it play in the book? Why is it important to the story? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)