|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi do each time he thought he saw lights in the distance?
2. When Pi awoke in the middle of the night and saw the huge moonlit sky before him, what did he think about with regards to himself and the rest of the sea?
3. About how much did Pi sleep a night?
4. What did the final report say about Pi's knowledge of the reason the ship sank?
5. What did Pi do to keep Richard Parker satisfied?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 92, Pi and Richard Parker landed on an island. Why didn't they stay?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 81, what did Pi attribute his survival with the tiger to?
4. What did Pi and the tiger encounter in Part 2, Chapter 84 after the great storm?
5. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
6. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
9. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 76, the author discusses Pi and the tiger's behavior regarding the tiger's feces. What does their behavior signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pi learns he must out-smart the tiger, because he is unable to out-muscle him. Describe, using specific examples from the book, some ways that you believe Pi out-smarts the tiger. How does the tiger not know what Pi is doing? Is the tiger dumber then Pi? Does the tiger focus on different things then Pi? Did the tiger allow himself to be outsmarted?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the "circle of life and death" is exhibited before the shipwreck in the zoo, and after the shipwreck in the lifeboat.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of the story is the survival of life. How do the animals, besides the tiger, play a role in this theme?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)