|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pi took inventory of what on the boat?
2. What animal do zookeepers think of as the most dangerous animal in the zoo?
3. On the first day, what animals did Pi think were on the lifeboat?
4. What is the purpose of the italicized chapters?
5. When did Pi feel that God was very close to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
4. How did Pi get his name?
5. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
6. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
7. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
9. What did Pi and Richard Parker kill and eat in Part 2, Chapter 53? What is it's symbolism?
10. Who is Ganesha in Chapter Part 1, 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Pi's religious views shape his view of his ordeal?
Essay Topic 2
Pi develops a friendship with the tiger over time, through both taming and training. Explain the process Pi used to tame and train the tiger. Why would a training process be beneficial? Why couldn't Pi simply do this in one day? Why do you think a tiger would want to be trained?
Essay Topic 3
Pi's ordeal involves his faith in God, his faith in himself, and his will to survive. Discuss each of these, using specific examples from the book.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)