|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi build a raft out of?
2. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
3. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
4. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's baptism?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 30, what does the author say he learned about Pi when they met?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
2. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
3. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
4. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
6. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
8. How did Pi get his name?
9. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes of the story is the survival of life. How do the animals, besides the tiger, play a role in this theme?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Pi's ordeal so difficult for the Japanese interviewers to believe? Would it have been easier if the Pi had described the tiger as Richard Parker, a human?
Essay Topic 3
Pi learns he must out-smart the tiger, because he is unable to out-muscle him. Describe, using specific examples from the book, some ways that you believe Pi out-smarts the tiger. How does the tiger not know what Pi is doing? Is the tiger dumber then Pi? Does the tiger focus on different things then Pi? Did the tiger allow himself to be outsmarted?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)