|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 48, Pi explains that the tiger got his name from what source?
3. On the first day, what animals did Pi think were on the lifeboat?
4. Why does the author promise the reader a happy ending to Pi's tale?
5. What were along the interior perimeter of the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
2. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
4. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
5. The zebra and Orange Juice are killed in Part 2, Chapter 47, and symbolize what?
6. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
7. How are the zebra and the orangutan anthropomorphized in Part 2, Chapter 45?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 38, what pivotal event of the book takes place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of turtles in the book? Using specific examples from before the shipwreck as well as after, describe their importance to the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of anthropomorphism? What role does it play in the book? Why is it important to the story? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Orange Juice and the hyena in the story?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)