|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
2. The main character's father loved to talk about what subject?
3. Who is Mamji?
4. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
5. What is the purpose of the italicized chapters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
2. The zebra and Orange Juice are killed in Part 2, Chapter 47, and symbolize what?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
5. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 38, what pivotal event of the book takes place?
7. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
8. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
9. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Pi discusses his teacher, Mr. Kumar. How are they similar and different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of anthropomorphism? What role does it play in the book? Why is it important to the story? Please support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes of the story is the survival of life. How do the animals, besides the tiger, play a role in this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Both the raft and the lifeboat prove critical to Pi's success, but in different ways. Discuss why it was important to Pi's mind to have both the raft and the lifeboat. What would have happened if Pi had never been able to make the raft? What if Pi had lost the lifeboat?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)