|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pi took inventory of what on the boat?
2. As Pi was losing hope, his courage rose and what did he no longer fear?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 48, Pi explains that the tiger got his name from what source?
4. What was the main character named after?
5. When did Pi feel that God was very close to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
2. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
4. How do Pi's parents view him in Part 1, Chapter 27?
5. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
6. Who is Ganesha in Chapter Part 1, 15?
7. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Pi discusses his teacher, Mr. Kumar. How are they similar and different?
9. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
10. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of turtles in the book? Using specific examples from before the shipwreck as well as after, describe their importance to the book.
Essay Topic 2
How do Pi's religious views shape his view of his ordeal?
Essay Topic 3
Both the raft and the lifeboat prove critical to Pi's success, but in different ways. Discuss why it was important to Pi's mind to have both the raft and the lifeboat. What would have happened if Pi had never been able to make the raft? What if Pi had lost the lifeboat?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)