|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pi saw a sea turtle near the boat, what did he do?
2. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
3. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
4. Pi took inventory of what on the boat?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 48, Pi explains that the tiger got his name from what source?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
3. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
4. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 79, Pi was entertained by the tiger's behavior with the sharks. Explain.
7. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
8. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
9. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At many times in the book, Pi nears death, as he runs low on food and the will to live. Using specific examples from the book, discuss some of these events and what Pi learns about himself through the events.
Essay Topic 2
Pi learns he must out-smart the tiger, because he is unable to out-muscle him. Describe, using specific examples from the book, some ways that you believe Pi out-smarts the tiger. How does the tiger not know what Pi is doing? Is the tiger dumber then Pi? Does the tiger focus on different things then Pi? Did the tiger allow himself to be outsmarted?
Essay Topic 3
How do Pi's religious views shape his view of his ordeal?
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)