|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pi lament to the author that he is forgetting?
2. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
3. What religion is Pi?
4. What was the response of Pi's father to his request for Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
5. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
3. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
4. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
6. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
7. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
9. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
10. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes of the story is the survival of life. How do the animals, besides the tiger, play a role in this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Pi develops a friendship with the tiger over time, through both taming and training. Explain the process Pi used to tame and train the tiger. Why would a training process be beneficial? Why couldn't Pi simply do this in one day? Why do you think a tiger would want to be trained?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of turtles in the book? Using specific examples from before the shipwreck as well as after, describe their importance to the book.
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)