|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the meeting at the zoo between the two Mr. Kumars have any special significance?
2. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
3. After the hyena killed the zebra, what did the hyena do?
4. Why does Pi think that the hyena did not attack him?
5. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Pi's parents view him in Part 1, Chapter 27?
2. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
3. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 25, why did Pi not feel as though he fit in anywhere?
5. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
6. The zebra and Orange Juice are killed in Part 2, Chapter 47, and symbolize what?
7. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
8. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
9. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the "circle of life and death" is exhibited before the shipwreck in the zoo, and after the shipwreck in the lifeboat.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of turtles in the book? Using specific examples from before the shipwreck as well as after, describe their importance to the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, which one of the animals in the zoo is most like Pi and why?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)