|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How important is religion to Pi?
2. When Pi got back into the lifeboat in Part 2, who did he see look out from under the tarp?
3. Who was Mr. Satish Kumar?
4. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
5. Why did Pi throw himself out of the lifeboat?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
2. Who is Ganesha in Chapter Part 1, 15?
3. What did Pi and Richard Parker kill and eat in Part 2, Chapter 53? What is it's symbolism?
4. How do Pi's parents view him in Part 1, Chapter 27?
5. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
7. How did Pi get his name?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
10. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Orange Juice and the hyena in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of turtles in the book? Using specific examples from before the shipwreck as well as after, describe their importance to the book.
Essay Topic 3
Pi develops a friendship with the tiger over time, through both taming and training. Explain the process Pi used to tame and train the tiger. Why would a training process be beneficial? Why couldn't Pi simply do this in one day? Why do you think a tiger would want to be trained?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)