|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Pi was losing hope, his courage rose and what did he no longer fear?
2. How did Pi end up in the lifeboat?
3. Which of the following does Pi discuss as a strange living arrangement of animals?
4. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's baptism?
5. What happened at the meeting with Pi's parents and his three religious teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
2. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
3. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
4. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
5. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
6. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
7. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
8. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
10. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a hero? Is there a hero in this story? If so, who is it? If not, why not? Support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How do Pi's religious views shape his view of his ordeal?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)