Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
2. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
3. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
4. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
5. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
2. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
3. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
4. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
6. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
7. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
8. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
9. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
Essay Topic 1
When Pi finds the first island, he leaves it out of fear of the island being cannibalistic. Discuss what the symbolism of this island is to Pi and to the overall story.
Essay Topic 2
At many times in the book, Pi nears death, as he runs low on food and the will to live. Using specific examples from the book, discuss some of these events and what Pi learns about himself through the events.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, which one of the animals in the zoo is most like Pi and why?
This section contains 1,724 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)