|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the main character think about the animals in the zoo?
2. When did Pi feel that God was very close to him?
3. What happened at the meeting with Pi's parents and his three religious teachers?
4. Who were the two men Pi called the "prophets of his youth"?
5. How important is religion to Pi?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 38, what pivotal event of the book takes place?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
4. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
5. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
6. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
7. How did Pi get his name?
8. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
9. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Pi finds the first island, he leaves it out of fear of the island being cannibalistic. Discuss what the symbolism of this island is to Pi and to the overall story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the "circle of life and death" is exhibited before the shipwreck in the zoo, and after the shipwreck in the lifeboat.
Essay Topic 3
Pi learns he must out-smart the tiger, because he is unable to out-muscle him. Describe, using specific examples from the book, some ways that you believe Pi out-smarts the tiger. How does the tiger not know what Pi is doing? Is the tiger dumber then Pi? Does the tiger focus on different things then Pi? Did the tiger allow himself to be outsmarted?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)