|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main character grew up in what country?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 30, what does the author say he learned about Pi when they met?
3. What was the response of Pi's mother to his request for a Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
4. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
5. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
Short Essay Questions
1. The zebra and Orange Juice are killed in Part 2, Chapter 47, and symbolize what?
2. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
5. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
6. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
7. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
8. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
9. How are the zebra and the orangutan anthropomorphized in Part 2, Chapter 45?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Orange Juice and the hyena in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a hero? Is there a hero in this story? If so, who is it? If not, why not? Support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How do Pi's religious views shape his view of his ordeal?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)