|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Pi was losing hope, his courage rose and what did he no longer fear?
2. Why did Pi throw himself out of the lifeboat?
3. When Pi got back into the lifeboat in Part 2, who did he see look out from under the tarp?
4. According to Pi, when have successful zookeepers created a healthy environment for the animals?
5. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's baptism?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
2. How do Pi's parents view him in Part 1, Chapter 27?
3. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
4. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
6. What did Pi and Richard Parker kill and eat in Part 2, Chapter 53? What is it's symbolism?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
8. In Part 1, Chapter 25, why did Pi not feel as though he fit in anywhere?
9. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 92, Pi and Richard Parker landed on an island. Why didn't they stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pi learns he must out-smart the tiger, because he is unable to out-muscle him. Describe, using specific examples from the book, some ways that you believe Pi out-smarts the tiger. How does the tiger not know what Pi is doing? Is the tiger dumber then Pi? Does the tiger focus on different things then Pi? Did the tiger allow himself to be outsmarted?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Pi's ordeal so difficult for the Japanese interviewers to believe? Would it have been easier if the Pi had described the tiger as Richard Parker, a human?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the "circle of life and death" is exhibited before the shipwreck in the zoo, and after the shipwreck in the lifeboat.
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)