|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the family sold the zoo, why did it take a year before they could leave India for Canada?
2. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
3. What happened when the two Mr. Kumars in Pi's life meet by chance at the zoo?
4. According to the author, which of the following was a reason why Pi decided to get back into the lifeboat?
5. The main character grew up in what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
2. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 25, why did Pi not feel as though he fit in anywhere?
5. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
6. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
7. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Pi discusses his teacher, Mr. Kumar. How are they similar and different?
10. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both the raft and the lifeboat prove critical to Pi's success, but in different ways. Discuss why it was important to Pi's mind to have both the raft and the lifeboat. What would have happened if Pi had never been able to make the raft? What if Pi had lost the lifeboat?
Essay Topic 2
Which animals in the book are most like people in Pi's life? Use specific examples to explain why you chose various animals and what similar characteristics to their human counterparts they exhibit.
Essay Topic 3
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)