|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mamji?
2. According to Pi, when do animals try to escape from the zoo?
3. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
4. What were along the interior perimeter of the boat?
5. What does the author say was strange about the ecosystem in the lifeboat on the second day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 81, what did Pi attribute his survival with the tiger to?
3. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
4. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
5. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
7. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
8. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
10. What did Pi and Richard Parker kill and eat in Part 2, Chapter 53? What is it's symbolism?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of turtles in the book? Using specific examples from before the shipwreck as well as after, describe their importance to the book.
Essay Topic 2
Both the raft and the lifeboat prove critical to Pi's success, but in different ways. Discuss why it was important to Pi's mind to have both the raft and the lifeboat. What would have happened if Pi had never been able to make the raft? What if Pi had lost the lifeboat?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Pi's diary in his ordeal? Is it important? Is it just "filler?" Why?
This section contains 1,487 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)