|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Pi was losing hope, his courage rose and what did he no longer fear?
2. Who were the two men Pi called the "prophets of his youth"?
3. What was the response of Pi's mother to his request for a Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
4. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
5. Which of the following is true about Pi's family's departure from India?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
2. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
3. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 25, why did Pi not feel as though he fit in anywhere?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Pi discusses his teacher, Mr. Kumar. How are they similar and different?
7. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
8. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
10. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which animals in the book are most like people in Pi's life? Use specific examples to explain why you chose various animals and what similar characteristics to their human counterparts they exhibit.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Orange Juice and the hyena in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In the early chapters, there are different descriptions of animal behavior. Choose one, and compare and contrast it to a later animal behavior or event in the book that has the same characteristics.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)