|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
2. When Pi saw a sea turtle near the boat, what did he do?
3. After the hyena killed the zebra, what did the hyena do?
4. Does the meeting at the zoo between the two Mr. Kumars have any special significance?
5. What is the omega animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
2. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
3. The zebra and Orange Juice are killed in Part 2, Chapter 47, and symbolize what?
4. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 25, why did Pi not feel as though he fit in anywhere?
6. How do Pi's parents view him in Part 1, Chapter 27?
7. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
9. How are the zebra and the orangutan anthropomorphized in Part 2, Chapter 45?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Pi discusses his teacher, Mr. Kumar. How are they similar and different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both the raft and the lifeboat prove critical to Pi's success, but in different ways. Discuss why it was important to Pi's mind to have both the raft and the lifeboat. What would have happened if Pi had never been able to make the raft? What if Pi had lost the lifeboat?
Essay Topic 2
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a hero? Is there a hero in this story? If so, who is it? If not, why not? Support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)