Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
2. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
3. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
4. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
5. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
2. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
3. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
4. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
6. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
7. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
8. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
9. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
Essay Topic 1
Is Richard Parker a human or a tiger? Using Chapter 2, the early chapters about animal behavior, and Richard Parker's behavior once shipwrecked, describe whether you believe he is a human or a tiger.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a hero? Is there a hero in this story? If so, who is it? If not, why not? Support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What makes Pi's ordeal so difficult for the Japanese interviewers to believe? Would it have been easier if the Pi had described the tiger as Richard Parker, a human?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)