|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinced Pi he wasn't going to die?
2. How important is religion to Pi?
3. What do Pi's parents think about his being so religious?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 36, who is not at Pi's home to welcome the author when the author meets again with Pi and his family?
5. On the first day, what animals did Pi think were on the lifeboat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
2. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
6. How did Pi get his name?
7. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 25, why did Pi not feel as though he fit in anywhere?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
10. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes of the story is the survival of life. How do the animals, besides the tiger, play a role in this theme?
Essay Topic 2
How do Pi's religious views shape his view of his ordeal?
Essay Topic 3
Pi develops a friendship with the tiger over time, through both taming and training. Explain the process Pi used to tame and train the tiger. Why would a training process be beneficial? Why couldn't Pi simply do this in one day? Why do you think a tiger would want to be trained?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)