|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi find solace in, even though he had to continually reconsider his place in God's universe?
(b) His religious expressions.
(c) His own thoughts.
(d) His religious memories.
2. How long did the two men dispatched to the town interview Pi for?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 3 hours.
3. What two things does Pi attribute his survival alongside Richard Parker with?
(a) Richard Parker's tendency towards seasickness and Pi being the provider of food and water.
(b) The seperate spaces of the raft and the lifeboat.
(c) His ignorance at the true dangers of Richard Parker and luck.
(d) His faith in his religion and his mother's love for him.
4. What did Pi finally realize after reading the manual written by a British Royal Navy commander?
(a) The ocean was going to become more fierce in future storms.
(b) The tiger would not kill him.
(c) The British had a keen sense on shipwrecks.
(d) He was responsible for his own survival now.
5. Once Pi's suffering became intense, what did he do with the greater part of his days?
(a) Slept in a semi-conscious state using his dream rag.
(b) Trained the tiger more intensely then before.
(c) Drank sea water, losing hope of survival.
(d) Fished, determined to catch more fish to alleviate his hunger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of storm was Pi struck with the beauty and wonder of?
2. What was an act of deference by the tiger to Pi?
3. What did Pi tell the interviewers after they gave their impressions of Pi's story?
4. What did Pi do to exert his dominance over the tiger?
5. What did Pi do each time he thought he saw lights in the distance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 79, Pi was entertained by the tiger's behavior with the sharks. Explain.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
4. In Part 3, Chapters 96 and 97, Pi told the Japanese officials what about his ordeal?
5. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
6. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
7. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
8. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
9. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
10. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)