|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the officials say to the author about the interview with Pi?
(a) It was incomplete and unusual.
(b) It was difficult and memorable.
(c) It was hard but purposeful.
(d) It was amazing and heroic.
2. After a few days when Pi started exploring the island, what small, furry, carnivorous animal did he find?
3. What did Pi do each time he thought he saw lights in the distance?
(a) Directed a broken mirror piece at the lights.
(b) Cried in happiness, then in pain, when the lights didn't come closer.
(d) Set off a flare.
4. What did Pi plan to do with the tiger once the tiger expressed friendliness and harmlessness?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Leave him.
(c) Tame him.
(d) Train him.
5. Whose voice did Pi start to hear after he discovered he was blind?
(a) His brother's.
(b) The tiger's.
(c) A man's.
(d) His mother's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the collection of that Pi's lifeboat came along in the water?
2. What did the tiger do when he and Pi landed on the shore of the small island?
3. What did the interviewers do after Pi finished telling them what he told them?
4. What did Pi use a page from his notebook for?
5. What were the greatest of contradictions, according to Pi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
3. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
4. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
5. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
6. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
7. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
8. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
9. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
10. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)