|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of storm was Pi struck with the beauty and wonder of?
(a) A lightning storm.
(b) A thunder storm.
(c) A monsoon.
(d) A hurricane.
2. What did Pi finally realize after reading the manual written by a British Royal Navy commander?
(a) The ocean was going to become more fierce in future storms.
(b) The tiger would not kill him.
(c) He was responsible for his own survival now.
(d) The British had a keen sense on shipwrecks.
3. On whose estimated birthday did Pi sing "Happy Birthday"?
(a) His mother's.
(b) The tiger's.
(c) His brother's.
(d) His father's.
4. About how much did Pi sleep a night?
(a) An hour.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Five hours.
(d) Seven hours.
5. What did the interviewers tell Pi they thought about his story?
(a) That his family would be proud to have him return.
(b) That they thought it was so improbable it was amazing he had survived.
(c) That they thought it was a story of heroism.
(d) That they didn't believe it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi bring to the tiger in the morning after they had both had a restless night's sleep?
2. What did the interviewing men decide had caused the ship to sink?
3. What two things does Pi attribute his survival alongside Richard Parker with?
4. Where did Pi, Richard Parker, and the lifeboat, finally land?
5. What were two big events in Pi's daily routine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
3. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
4. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
5. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 92, Pi and Richard Parker landed on an island. Why didn't they stay?
7. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
9. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)