|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi wish for in his quiet days on the liftboat?
(a) A friend.
(b) To be rescued.
(c) A book.
(d) More food.
2. What did Pi find when he boarded the other man's boat to scavenge for food?
(a) Olives, water, and canned fish.
(b) Nothing. The man's boat was as empty as his.
(c) Fish, shark meat, and crackers.
(d) Turtle meat, fish, biscuit crumbs, and water.
3. After a few days when Pi started exploring the island, what small, furry, carnivorous animal did he find?
4. Once Pi's suffering became intense, what did he do with the greater part of his days?
(a) Drank sea water, losing hope of survival.
(b) Trained the tiger more intensely then before.
(c) Slept in a semi-conscious state using his dream rag.
(d) Fished, determined to catch more fish to alleviate his hunger.
5. On whose estimated birthday did Pi sing "Happy Birthday"?
(a) His mother's.
(b) His father's.
(c) The tiger's.
(d) His brother's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Pi careful to maintain with the tiger in his quest to be known by the tiger as the alpha male?
2. What did the officials say to the author about the interview with Pi?
3. What happened to the underside of Pi's raft?
4. What did the interviewing men decide had caused the ship to sink?
5. What did a British Royal Navy commander write that Pi took the time to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
2. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 92, Pi and Richard Parker landed on an island. Why didn't they stay?
4. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
5. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
6. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 81, what did Pi attribute his survival with the tiger to?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 57, readers have their first encounter with "Prusten." What is it?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)