|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the interviewing men decide had caused the ship to sink?
(a) A horrible, perfect storm.
(b) Nothing--the answer lies at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.
(c) Pi's mother.
2. How many steps were in Pi's plan to tame the tiger?
3. What did Pi start to follow after his food supplies run low?
(a) The recommended daily intake in the survival guide.
(b) The tiger, to where the tiger has sequestered fish.
(c) His normal routine.
(d) His faith, knowing he can catch more fish.
4. After Pi was nearly starving, what did a storm of flying fish bring onto the boat?
(a) The raft.
(b) A shark.
(c) A turtle.
(d) A large dorado.
5. What did Pi always feel at the center of?
(a) The circle of life.
(b) A huge circle made of sky and ocean.
(c) A circle of despair and hopelessness.
(d) The circle of the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi plan to do with the tiger once the tiger expressed friendliness and harmlessness?
2. What did the officials say to the author about the interview with Pi?
3. What did the boat do when the raft was next to it?
4. What were the greatest of contradictions, according to Pi?
5. What emerged for Pi through the darkest times?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
2. What did Pi and the tiger encounter in Part 2, Chapter 84 after the great storm?
3. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
4. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
5. In Part 3, Chapters 96 and 97, Pi told the Japanese officials what about his ordeal?
6. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
7. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
8. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
9. How was Pi's sleep effected by his stress in Part 2, Chapter 68?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 92, Pi and Richard Parker landed on an island. Why didn't they stay?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)