|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one method of Pi's escapism?
(a) Temporary asphyxiation by putting a cloth over his face.
(b) Temporarily dreaming of his childhood home and his family.
(c) Temporarily stopping his breathing until he saw pure peace in his mind.
(d) Sleeping during the daylight hours, dreaming of his future life on land.
2. What is life's only opponent, in the eyes of Pi?
3. When did Pi start spending more time on the lifeboat?
(a) When the raft was ruined in the storm.
(b) When the tiger did not attack him after the storm.
(c) When the tiger moved to the raft.
(d) When Pi lost his blanket to the sea during the storm.
4. What did Pi bring to the tiger in the morning after they had both had a restless night's sleep?
(a) Water in a bucket and two flying fish.
(b) Two flying fish and a can of beans.
(c) A can of beans and a biscuit.
(d) Two dorado and biscuits.
5. What did Pi first use to communicate with the tiger after his hope returned?
(a) A stick from the boat.
(b) A whistle from the locker.
(c) A wooden tube from the boat.
(d) His voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the island made out of, which Pi ate in massive quantity?
2. How many steps were in Pi's plan to tame the tiger?
3. Why did Pi give generously to the tiger at the cost of his own hunger and thirst?
4. What was the tiger trying to do with his feces?
5. What was an act of deference by the tiger to Pi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 89, Pi reached his lowest point in the crisis, and did what? What was Richard Parker's state during this time?
3. What did Pi and the tiger encounter in Part 2, Chapter 84 after the great storm?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
6. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 79, Pi was entertained by the tiger's behavior with the sharks. Explain.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 81, what did Pi attribute his survival with the tiger to?
9. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
10. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)