|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi use a page from his notebook for?
(a) To write a goodbye note to his mother.
(b) To write a note telling of his plight.
(c) To write the dream from the previous night.
(d) To write a last will and testament.
2. What did the interviewing men decide had caused the ship to sink?
(a) Pi's mother.
(c) A horrible, perfect storm.
(d) Nothing--the answer lies at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.
3. What two things does Pi attribute his survival alongside Richard Parker with?
(a) His faith in his religion and his mother's love for him.
(b) The seperate spaces of the raft and the lifeboat.
(c) Richard Parker's tendency towards seasickness and Pi being the provider of food and water.
(d) His ignorance at the true dangers of Richard Parker and luck.
4. What was the date that Pi's interview with the officials began?
(a) March 24, 1988.
(b) April 17, 1998.
(c) January 12, 1968.
(d) February 19, 1978.
5. What kind of vessel came close to Pi and the tiger, bringing with it a hope of rescue, and later leaving Pi with a longing feeling and a promise to deliver the tiger to land?
(a) A canoe.
(b) A speedboat.
(c) A fishing troller.
(d) A ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after Pi discovered he was blind?
2. What did the interviewers want to know first?
3. What did the final report say about Pi's knowledge of the reason the ship sank?
4. How long had Pi been at sea for when he calculated it?
5. What did Pi smell when he was next to the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
2. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
3. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
5. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
6. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
7. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
9. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)