|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What equipment did Pi fish the most with?
(b) His hands.
2. What did the tiger associate with trespassing to remember to avoid it?
(a) Nausea and exhaustion.
(b) A rocking boat and fish.
(c) Nausea and blowing the whistle.
(d) Fish and the whistle.
3. What was one method of Pi's escapism?
(a) Temporarily stopping his breathing until he saw pure peace in his mind.
(b) Sleeping during the daylight hours, dreaming of his future life on land.
(c) Temporary asphyxiation by putting a cloth over his face.
(d) Temporarily dreaming of his childhood home and his family.
4. What did Pi wish for in his quiet days on the liftboat?
(a) A friend.
(b) A book.
(c) To be rescued.
(d) More food.
5. When Pi awoke in the middle of the night and saw the huge moonlit sky before him, what did he think about with regards to himself and the rest of the sea?
(a) How starless the sky was, and how empty his heart felt.
(b) How lonely the moon looked, and how lonely his heart was.
(c) How there was no chance of ever surviving in such a vast sea.
(d) How small he is and how vast the sea and the sky are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi recover from the water in the collection of something that came along?
2. What did the interviewers do after Pi finished telling them what he told them?
3. What did a British Royal Navy commander write that Pi took the time to read?
4. What sea creatures were around the boat most of the time?
5. What did the tiger do when he and Pi landed on the shore of the small island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
2. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
3. How was Pi's sleep effected by his stress in Part 2, Chapter 68?
4. In Part 3, Chapters 96 and 97, Pi told the Japanese officials what about his ordeal?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 81, what did Pi attribute his survival with the tiger to?
6. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 57, readers have their first encounter with "Prusten." What is it?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 95, who were dispatched to Mexico to meet Pi, and why?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)