|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the tiger associate with trespassing to remember to avoid it?
(a) Nausea and blowing the whistle.
(b) Fish and the whistle.
(c) Nausea and exhaustion.
(d) A rocking boat and fish.
2. What did the interviewers tell Pi they thought about his story?
(a) That they thought it was so improbable it was amazing he had survived.
(b) That his family would be proud to have him return.
(c) That they thought it was a story of heroism.
(d) That they didn't believe it.
3. After spending a nights in the trees, what did the fruit of one tree reveal to Pi?
(a) The island was carnivorous.
(b) The island was uninhabitable.
(c) The island would be his new home.
(d) The island had a plentiful amount of food.
4. What did Pi always feel at the center of?
(a) The circle of the sea.
(b) The circle of life.
(c) A huge circle made of sky and ocean.
(d) A circle of despair and hopelessness.
5. What kind of vessel came close to Pi and the tiger, bringing with it a hope of rescue, and later leaving Pi with a longing feeling and a promise to deliver the tiger to land?
(a) A ship.
(b) A canoe.
(c) A speedboat.
(d) A fishing troller.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Pi been at sea for when he calculated it?
2. What did the interviewing men decide had caused the ship to sink?
3. How did Richard Parker react when Pi shouted a greeting to him?
4. What did Pi do to modify the raft?
5. On whose estimated birthday did Pi sing "Happy Birthday"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
2. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
3. In Part 3, Chapters 96 and 97, Pi told the Japanese officials what about his ordeal?
4. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
5. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
6. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
7. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
8. Discuss the "dream rag," first discussed by Pi in Part 2, Chapter 87.
9. In Part 2, Chapter 76, the author discusses Pi and the tiger's behavior regarding the tiger's feces. What does their behavior signify?
10. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)