|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were two big events in Pi's daily routine?
(a) Eating and drinking water on his raft.
(b) Collecting rainfall and catching turtles.
(c) Talking with the tiger and fishing.
(d) Taking his raft out for a while and feeding the tiger.
2. How long had Pi been at sea for when he calculated it?
(a) 227 days.
(b) 104 days.
(c) 180 days.
(d) 282 days.
3. How many steps were in Pi's plan to tame the tiger?
4. What sea creatures were around the boat most of the time?
5. What did Pi spend a lot of time in the manual reading about and studying?
(a) How to make a shelter.
(b) How to signal that he was alive.
(c) Navigational directions.
(d) The tide and current.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how much did Pi sleep a night?
2. What did Pi bring to the tiger in the morning after they had both had a restless night's sleep?
3. What was a 'dream rag'?
4. What did Pi do to modify the raft?
5. What did the interviewing men decide had caused the ship to sink?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 79, Pi was entertained by the tiger's behavior with the sharks. Explain.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 100, the author receives a letter from Japanese officials about their interview with Pi. They remark that they found Pi to have had amazing fortitude to survive his ordeal. Why did they find his ordeal so amazing?
3. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 80, Pi started spending more time on the lifeboat. Why?
5. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
6. What is the symbolism of the flares in Part 2, Chapter 69?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 81, what did Pi attribute his survival with the tiger to?
8. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
9. How did Pi's daily routine start showing through in Part 2, Chapter 62, a week since the ship sank?
10. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)