|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Pi throw himself out of the lifeboat?
(a) He was hot and he thought he could cool off in the water.
(b) Someone called to him to swim to another boat.
(c) He realized he was in a boat with a Bengal tiger.
(d) He thought he saw another lifeboat that might be safer.
2. What did Pi do the first day in the life boat?
(a) He helped the animals on board.
(b) He explored the life boat.
(c) He kept alert looking for survivors and rescue teams.
(d) He made himself secure.
3. What do Pi's parents think about his being so religious?
(a) They think Pi should choose one religion, whichever one he wants.
(b) They just want Pi to be happy.
(c) They hope Pi's religious fervor is a passing phase.
(d) While they may not believe as Pi does, they encourage him.
4. Which of the following is true about Pi's family's departure from India?
(a) Other families on the ship were going to Canada as well.
(b) The whole family was excited about going to Canada.
(c) Pi was excited about leaving, but his mother was sad.
(d) The ship was delayed in its departure because of weather.
5. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
(a) Life jackets.
(d) Drinking water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Antieji?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 36, who is not at Pi's home to welcome the author when the author meets again with Pi and his family?
3. What was under the tarp on the boat?
4. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 33, when the author and Pi look through photos, what period in Pi's life has only a few photos?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 38, what pivotal event of the book takes place?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
4. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
5. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
6. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
7. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
8. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
9. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)