|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
(a) Hid under the tarp.
(b) Jumped back into the water.
(c) Tried to quiet the hyena by distracting it.
(d) Sat still and thought about the predatory powers of the hyena.
2. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
(a) Jump overboard and let the sharks kill him.
(b) Pray to God for deliverance.
(c) Throw himself at the hyena for a fight to the death.
(d) Do nothing and wait to be rescued.
3. Which of these events did not occur before the ship sank?
(a) Pi found rising water blocking his way when he tried to return to his room.
(b) Acccording to Pi's brother, there had been some problem with the engines.
(c) Pi woke up and decided to go exploring.
(d) There was a general alarm to alert everyone that the ship was sinking.
4. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
(a) It reminded him of the sacredness of the earth.
(b) He lost it.
(c) He used it outside.
(d) He used it in the mosque.
5. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
(a) She roamed the countryside killing small animals.
(b) She shared her habitat with a male that she did not get along with.
(c) She escaped during the day when the zookeeper left her cage open.
(d) She lived for ten weeks before she was captured.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi build a raft out of?
2. How important is religion to Pi?
3. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
4. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
5. Pi took inventory of what on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the zebra and the orangutan anthropomorphized in Part 2, Chapter 45?
2. The zebra and Orange Juice are killed in Part 2, Chapter 47, and symbolize what?
3. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
5. Discuss the encounter with the other ship in Part 2, Chapter 86.
6. What did Pi and the tiger encounter in Part 2, Chapter 84 after the great storm?
7. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 81, what did Pi attribute his survival with the tiger to?
9. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)