|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pi did what with the raft after he built it?
(a) Used it to build a wall to block Richard Parker's view of him sleeping.
(b) Put it on the dry land to keep it safe.
(c) Tethered it to the boat.
(d) Set it free into the water.
2. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
(a) On politics.
(b) On the sacredness of the zoo.
(c) That Pi should spend more time studying.
(d) That all religions were basically the same.
3. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
(a) They wanted him to choose one faith and practice it.
(b) They thought he was doing the right thing.
(c) They were uncomfortable with his religious practices.
(d) They wanted him to stop exploring religions and settle on one.
4. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
(b) Life jackets.
(d) Drinking water.
5. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
(a) Pi's father was raised as a Hindu, but had been schooled as a Baptist.
(b) Pi's parents practiced their Hindu religion faithfully all the time.
(c) Pi's parents were not very religious.
(d) Pi's mother had a Hindu upbringing, but had been schooled as a Presbyterian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
2. What event showed that fortune was with Pi?
3. According to Pi, when do animals try to escape from the zoo?
4. What was under the tarp on the boat?
5. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
3. Who is Ganesha in Chapter Part 1, 15?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
5. How did Pi get his name?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 38, what pivotal event of the book takes place?
10. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)