|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How important is religion to Pi?
(a) It is important depending on the circumstances.
(b) It is somewhat important.
(c) It is very important.
(d) It is not important at all.
2. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
(a) Pi's parents practiced their Hindu religion faithfully all the time.
(b) Pi's father was raised as a Hindu, but had been schooled as a Baptist.
(c) Pi's mother had a Hindu upbringing, but had been schooled as a Presbyterian.
(d) Pi's parents were not very religious.
3. In Part 1, Chapter 12, what do readers learn about the nameless man?
(a) The author uses him only as a means to tell the story.
(b) He will probably remain nameless throughout the story.
(c) He is a relative of the main character.
(d) He is the main character.
4. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
(a) Pi did not feel he belonged in the Christian church.
(b) Pi went to a Hindu temple after he went to the Christian church.
(c) Pi told Father Martin that he wanted to become a Christian.
(d) Pi thought the story about Jesus to be odd.
5. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
(a) That bad things happen to good people.
(b) That there would be no more rain.
(c) That good always follows bad.
(d) That the worst may be over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Pi discuss as a strange living arrangement of animals?
2. What was the response of Pi's father to his request for Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
3. What was under the tarp on the boat?
4. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
5. What religion is Pi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ganesha in Chapter Part 1, 15?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
3. How are the zebra and the orangutan anthropomorphized in Part 2, Chapter 45?
4. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
5. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
6. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
7. What did Pi and Richard Parker kill and eat in Part 2, Chapter 53? What is it's symbolism?
8. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
9. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)