|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi do when the sun rose the day after he built his raft?
(a) Fell asleep exhausted, wrapped in his warm blanket.
(b) Prepared to battle the tiger.
(c) Moved closer to the tiger for protection.
(d) Created a fishing line to use to catch food.
2. What did the main character think about the animals in the zoo?
(a) They were not happy living in the zoo.
(b) They would like to return to the wild.
(c) They were fearful of the other animals in the zoo.
(d) They were happy living in the zoo.
3. What convinced Pi he wasn't going to die?
(a) Richard Parker.
(b) A voice.
(c) A rat.
(d) A friend.
4. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
(a) They watched a tiger eat a goat.
(b) His father showed them how quickly animals could kill them.
(c) His father told them none of the animals could be touched.
(d) His father told them not to try and pet a tiger.
5. When Pi saw a sea turtle near the boat, what did he do?
(a) Commanded the turtle to go for help.
(b) Watched the turtle until it swam off.
(c) Got into the water and swam with the turtle.
(d) Talked to the turtle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
2. How did Pi spend his second night on the lifeboat?
3. Which of the following is true about Pi's family's departure from India?
4. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
5. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
3. What did Pi and Richard Parker kill and eat in Part 2, Chapter 53? What is it's symbolism?
4. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
5. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
6. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
7. How did Pi put his crisis in perspective in Part 2, Chapter 60?
8. Who is Ganesha in Chapter Part 1, 15?
9. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
10. How are the zebra and the orangutan anthropomorphized in Part 2, Chapter 45?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)