|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
(a) She roamed the countryside killing small animals.
(b) She shared her habitat with a male that she did not get along with.
(c) She lived for ten weeks before she was captured.
(d) She escaped during the day when the zookeeper left her cage open.
2. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
(a) They were uncomfortable with his religious practices.
(b) They wanted him to choose one faith and practice it.
(c) They wanted him to stop exploring religions and settle on one.
(d) They thought he was doing the right thing.
3. When Pi got back into the lifeboat in Part 2, who did he see look out from under the tarp?
(a) The monkey.
(b) The tiger.
(c) The hyena.
(d) The zebra.
4. What was the response of Pi's mother to his request for a Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His mother told him it was his father's decision.
(b) His mother did not concede to his wishes.
(c) His mother conceded to his wishes, but only after he argued with her.
(d) His mother was supportive of him as soon as he asked.
5. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
(a) By discovering the Muslim section of his town.
(b) By listening to his parents.
(c) By studying at school.
(d) By talking to his friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
2. According to Pi, when do animals try to escape from the zoo?
3. Pi's interest in which of the following is one of the themes that runs throughout the book?
4. Who is Antieji?
5. What religion is Pi?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
2. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
3. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
4. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
5. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
6. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
7. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
8. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Pi discusses his teacher, Mr. Kumar. How are they similar and different?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)