|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Pi throw himself out of the lifeboat?
(a) Someone called to him to swim to another boat.
(b) He realized he was in a boat with a Bengal tiger.
(c) He thought he saw another lifeboat that might be safer.
(d) He was hot and he thought he could cool off in the water.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 12, what do readers learn about the nameless man?
(a) He will probably remain nameless throughout the story.
(b) He is the main character.
(c) He is a relative of the main character.
(d) The author uses him only as a means to tell the story.
3. What was under the tarp on the boat?
(b) A pile of lifejackets.
(c) A locker.
(d) The tiger.
4. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
(a) It is hungry.
(b) It is mean.
(c) Its territory is invaded.
(d) It doesn't like the trainer or zookeeper.
5. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
(a) They wanted him to stop exploring religions and settle on one.
(b) They thought he was doing the right thing.
(c) They wanted him to choose one faith and practice it.
(d) They were uncomfortable with his religious practices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
2. According to the author, which of the following was a reason why Pi decided to get back into the lifeboat?
3. What happened at the meeting with Pi's parents and his three religious teachers?
4. When Pi was 14, he went on a family vacation to Munmar and saw what on the top of three hills?
5. Which of the following is true about Pi's family's departure from India?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 25, why did Pi not feel as though he fit in anywhere?
2. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
5. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
7. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
9. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
10. How do Pi's parents view him in Part 1, Chapter 27?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)