|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi do when the sun rose the day after he built his raft?
(a) Fell asleep exhausted, wrapped in his warm blanket.
(b) Prepared to battle the tiger.
(c) Created a fishing line to use to catch food.
(d) Moved closer to the tiger for protection.
2. How did Pi end up in the lifeboat?
(a) His father put him there as the ship was sinking.
(b) He fell off the ship and swam to the lifeboat.
(c) He was thrown overboard and landed there.
(d) It was his assigned lifeboat and he went there as the ship sank.
3. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
(a) His father told them none of the animals could be touched.
(b) His father told them not to try and pet a tiger.
(c) His father showed them how quickly animals could kill them.
(d) They watched a tiger eat a goat.
4. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
(a) Only female lions are used in the circus.
(b) The trainer must show the lion he is physically stronger.
(c) All lions want to be dominated.
(d) The lion must know who is boss, which will make it feel secure.
5. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
(a) Do nothing and wait to be rescued.
(b) Throw himself at the hyena for a fight to the death.
(c) Pray to God for deliverance.
(d) Jump overboard and let the sharks kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How important is religion to Pi?
2. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
3. What was the response of Pi's father to his request for Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
4. What did Pi say at the meeting of his parents and his religious teachers?
5. Pi took inventory of what on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 23, the author discusses the "three wise men." Who are they?
3. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. How did Pi get his name?
5. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
8. How are the zebra and the orangutan anthropomorphized in Part 2, Chapter 45?
9. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
10. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)