|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the author promise the reader a happy ending to Pi's tale?
(a) He has no specific reason for doing this.
(b) So the reader will not feel so sad.
(c) Because people like to read books with happy endings.
(d) So the reader will continue reading the story.
2. Why did Pi throw himself out of the lifeboat?
(a) Someone called to him to swim to another boat.
(b) He realized he was in a boat with a Bengal tiger.
(c) He was hot and he thought he could cool off in the water.
(d) He thought he saw another lifeboat that might be safer.
3. What event showed that fortune was with Pi?
(a) He was mobile enough to get in the lifeboat.
(b) He was not seasick.
(c) He went to sleep early the night before.
(d) He didn't get killed by a falling zebra.
4. As night fell on his first day in the lifeboat, why did Pi become scared?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) He didn't know what would happen.
(c) It would be dark and rescue boats wouldn't see him.
(d) He knew the hyena was capable of hurting him.
5. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
(a) Jumped back into the water.
(b) Sat still and thought about the predatory powers of the hyena.
(c) Hid under the tarp.
(d) Tried to quiet the hyena by distracting it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
2. What did Pi do when the sun rose the day after he built his raft?
3. Which of the following is true about Pi's family's departure from India?
4. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
5. What convinced Pi he wasn't going to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
2. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
3. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
5. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
6. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
7. Who is Ganesha in Chapter Part 1, 15?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
10. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)