|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How large was the boat?
(a) 4 feet deep, 18 feet wide, 10 feet long.
(b) 26 feet deep, 8 feet wide, 3.5 feet long.
(c) 10 feet deep, 4 feet wide, 18 feet long.
(d) 3.5 feet deep, 8 feet wide, 26 feet long.
2. When did Pi feel that God was very close to him?
(a) When he was praying in the mosque.
(b) One day when he was riding his bike home from Mr. Kumar's, the Muslim.
(c) When he watched the Muslim shopkeeper.
(d) When he was praying in the Christian church.
3. The main character grew up in what country?
(a) United States.
4. The author uses the animals as symbols of what?
(a) They are not symbols.
(b) Different aspects of human nature.
(c) Man's aggression.
(d) Pi or some part of him.
5. What happened at the meeting with Pi's parents and his three religious teachers?
(a) Each teacher thought their religions had similarities.
(b) They agreed Pi should continue exploring his religious beliefs.
(c) They all agreed Pi could be a Hindu, Muslim, and Christian at the same time.
(d) Each teacher thought Pi was more faithful to his religion than to the others.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 36, who is not at Pi's home to welcome the author when the author meets again with Pi and his family?
2. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
3. What does the author say was strange about the ecosystem in the lifeboat on the second day?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 30, what does the author say he learned about Pi when they met?
5. What do Pi's parents think about his being so religious?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pi get his name?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
5. Discuss Pi's training sequence for trespassing with the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 71.
6. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
7. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
8. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
9. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
10. What did Pi say about fear in Part 2, Chapter 56?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)