|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi say at the meeting of his parents and his religious teachers?
(a) He just wanted to love God.
(b) He would think about they said.
(c) The religions were similar.
(d) He wanted to study more about the religions.
2. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
(a) Pi told Father Martin that he wanted to become a Christian.
(b) Pi thought the story about Jesus to be odd.
(c) Pi did not feel he belonged in the Christian church.
(d) Pi went to a Hindu temple after he went to the Christian church.
3. The nameless male character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2 reappears in Part 1, Chapter 6. Readers now learn what about this man?
(a) He works in the zoo.
(b) He likes to swim.
(c) He teaches the main character about animals.
(d) He is a great cook with an extensive spice collection.
4. During the first night on the lifeboat, what did the hyena do?
(a) Chewed off the leg of the zebra.
(b) Walked around the boat.
(c) Spent the night barking/howling.
(d) Slept on the tarp.
5. What was the response of Pi's mother to his request for a Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His mother told him it was his father's decision.
(b) His mother was supportive of him as soon as he asked.
(c) His mother conceded to his wishes, but only after he argued with her.
(d) His mother did not concede to his wishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the reasons listed below is NOT one of the reasons Pi's father decided to move the family to Canada?
2. Who is Antieji?
3. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
4. What did Richard Parker kill while Pi was building the raft?
5. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the tiger get his human name in Part 2, Chapter 48? How is he like Pi?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 38, what pivotal event of the book takes place?
3. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
4. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
8. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
9. What did Pi and Richard Parker kill and eat in Part 2, Chapter 53? What is it's symbolism?
10. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)