|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
(a) Kill him and cast him off onto the raft, adrift in the sea.
(b) Get rid of him and have the lifeboat to himself.
(c) Keep him around for protection.
(d) Kill him and bury him on land.
2. As Pi was in the lifeboat, what animal floated by and got into the boat?
(a) A dog.
(b) A monkey.
(c) An orangutan.
(d) Another hyena.
3. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
(a) They were uncomfortable with his religious practices.
(b) They wanted him to stop exploring religions and settle on one.
(c) They thought he was doing the right thing.
(d) They wanted him to choose one faith and practice it.
4. Who was Mr. Satish Kumar?
(a) Mr. Kumar was a Communist and atheist.
(b) Mr. Kumar was an agnostic.
(c) Mr. Kumar was a good looking man who believed in God.
(d) Mr. Kumar was the reason Pi studied theology.
5. How important is religion to Pi?
(a) It is very important.
(b) It is not important at all.
(c) It is somewhat important.
(d) It is important depending on the circumstances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was under the tarp on the boat?
2. What animal do zookeepers think of as the most dangerous animal in the zoo?
3. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
4. What did Pi do when the sun rose the day after he built his raft?
5. As Pi was losing hope, his courage rose and what did he no longer fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. The zebra and Orange Juice are killed in Part 2, Chapter 47, and symbolize what?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
3. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
5. How did Pi get his name?
6. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
9. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)