Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
(a) That all religions were basically the same.
(b) On politics.
(c) That Pi should spend more time studying.
(d) On the sacredness of the zoo.
2. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
(a) Pi's father was raised as a Hindu, but had been schooled as a Baptist.
(b) Pi's parents practiced their Hindu religion faithfully all the time.
(c) Pi's mother had a Hindu upbringing, but had been schooled as a Presbyterian.
(d) Pi's parents were not very religious.
3. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
(a) Only female lions are used in the circus.
(b) All lions want to be dominated.
(c) The lion must know who is boss, which will make it feel secure.
(d) The trainer must show the lion he is physically stronger.
4. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
(a) A table.
(b) A tarp.
(c) A floor.
(d) A wall.
5. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
(a) Kill him and cast him off onto the raft, adrift in the sea.
(b) Kill him and bury him on land.
(c) Keep him around for protection.
(d) Get rid of him and have the lifeboat to himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi say at the meeting of his parents and his religious teachers?
2. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 21, what is the author's purpose in writing about what he thinks after interviewing Pi?
4. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
5. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 90, how did another man enter the story?
2. Pi started to take on some of the tiger's traits in Part 2, Chapter 77. Why?
3. How did Pi learn to use the ocean to his benefit against the tiger in Part 2, Chapter 59?
4. What is one small detail of Pi's suffering that the author describes in Part 2, Chapter 64?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 94, how did Pi and Richard Parker part ways on the beach in Mexico?
6. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
7. What event in Part 2, Chapter 85 seemed to suggest that Pi was impressed and appreciated natural wonders? What was Pi's reaction to the event?
8. Why did Pi find himself distracted & entertained by the underside of the raft in Part 2, Chapter 67?
9. What did Pi really achieve by studying the navigational directions in the survival manual in Part 2, Chapter 65?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)