|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi do when he didn't feel as welcome to his interfaith practices as before?
(a) Changed Christian churches.
(b) Talked to his religious teachers.
(c) Attended Hindu temple only at quiet times.
(d) Lingered after Muslim prayers.
2. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
(a) Jump overboard and let the sharks kill him.
(b) Pray to God for deliverance.
(c) Throw himself at the hyena for a fight to the death.
(d) Do nothing and wait to be rescued.
3. How did Pi end up in the lifeboat?
(a) He fell off the ship and swam to the lifeboat.
(b) His father put him there as the ship was sinking.
(c) It was his assigned lifeboat and he went there as the ship sank.
(d) He was thrown overboard and landed there.
4. What happened at the meeting with Pi's parents and his three religious teachers?
(a) Each teacher thought Pi was more faithful to his religion than to the others.
(b) They all agreed Pi could be a Hindu, Muslim, and Christian at the same time.
(c) They agreed Pi should continue exploring his religious beliefs.
(d) Each teacher thought their religions had similarities.
5. According to Pi's father, what kind of an environment do animals seek?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
2. Who were the two men Pi called the "prophets of his youth"?
3. How large was the boat?
4. How did Pi spend his second night on the lifeboat?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 48, Pi explains that the tiger got his name from what source?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Pi and Richard Parker kill and eat in Part 2, Chapter 53? What is it's symbolism?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
3. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
5. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
8. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
9. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)