|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
(a) Pi went to bed.
(b) They all had tea together.
(c) Pi went off by himself to think about the meeting.
(d) Pi's family went out for ice cream.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 1, the main character tells about his experience in which location?
(a) A Mexican restaurant.
(b) A Mexican hospital.
(c) A Canadian hospital.
(d) An English restaurant.
3. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
(a) A tarp.
(b) A table.
(c) A wall.
(d) A floor.
4. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
(a) He thought he saw an island on the horizon.
(b) He imagined that he saw his mother.
(c) He saw the tiger in the boat.
(d) He thought he saw a rescue boat.
5. How important is religion to Pi?
(a) It is not important at all.
(b) It is very important.
(c) It is important depending on the circumstances.
(d) It is somewhat important.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author promise the reader a happy ending to Pi's tale?
2. Pi did what with the raft after he built it?
3. According to Pi's father, what kind of an environment do animals seek?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 48, Pi explains that the tiger got his name from what source?
5. What did Pi say at the meeting of his parents and his religious teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where and why did Pi's father move the family in Part 1, Chapter 29?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
3. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
4. How does Pi react to the story of Jesus in Part 1, Chapter 17?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
6. What did Pi and Richard Parker kill and eat in Part 2, Chapter 53? What is it's symbolism?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 31, what do Mr. Kumar and Mr. Kumar represent in terms of Pi?
8. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
9. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
10. Who is the character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)