|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does the meeting at the zoo between the two Mr. Kumars have any special significance?
(a) Yes. It represents the two sides of Pi's character--his piety and his interest in creation.
(b) Yes. It signifies that Pi has not yet assimilated what he has learned from the two Mr. Kumars.
(c) No, but it made Pi feel uncomfortable.
(d) No. It was just an event that happened.
2. Which of the reasons listed below is NOT one of the reasons Pi's father decided to move the family to Canada?
(a) His father wanted to give Pi a broader view of life and religion.
(b) His father hoped to provide a better life for the family in Canada.
(c) His father worried about the political situation in India.
(d) His father thought there would be changes in India because of Mrs. Ghandi.
3. Who is Mamji?
(a) A person who worked for Pi's father at the zoo.
(b) A respectful, affectionate term for an older person.
(c) A person who used to be a competitive swimmer.
(d) A person who studied in England for two years.
4. What were along the interior perimeter of the boat?
5. Pi took inventory of what on the boat?
(a) A wooden trunk.
(b) A cage.
(c) The locker.
(d) A metal cupboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion is Pi?
2. Why did Pi throw himself out of the lifeboat?
3. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
4. What did Pi do the first day in the life boat?
5. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
2. The author discusses Pi's maintenance of his religious practices in Part 2, Chapter 74. Discuss Pi's religious reaction to his predicament.
3. What did Pi and the tiger encounter in Part 2, Chapter 84 after the great storm?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 92, Pi and Richard Parker landed on an island. Why didn't they stay?
5. In Part 3, Chapters 98 and 99, the Japanese officials interviewed Pi about his story. Why do you think that the officials did not believe Pi?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 72, Pi created a shell shield out of a turtle shell. Discuss his persistence in maintaining his shield.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 76, the author discusses Pi and the tiger's behavior regarding the tiger's feces. What does their behavior signify?
8. The book begins in Part 1, Chapter 1 with many unanswered questions. What are some of these questions?
9. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
10. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)