|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 1, the main character tells about his experience in which location?
(a) An English restaurant.
(b) A Mexican restaurant.
(c) A Canadian hospital.
(d) A Mexican hospital.
2. On the first day, what animals did Pi think were on the lifeboat?
(a) Two hyenas, a zebra, and a dog.
(b) A hyena, a zebra, an orangutan, and a monkey.
(c) A zebra, an orangutan, a dog, and a hyena.
(d) A hyena, a zebra, and an orangutan.
3. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
(a) A table.
(b) A floor.
(c) A tarp.
(d) A wall.
4. When Pi was 14, he went on a family vacation to Munmar and saw what on the top of three hills?
(a) Tea estates.
(c) Religious temples.
5. The author uses the animals as symbols of what?
(a) Man's aggression.
(b) Different aspects of human nature.
(c) They are not symbols.
(d) Pi or some part of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mamji?
2. According to Pi, when do animals try to escape from the zoo?
3. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
4. Which of these events did not occur before the ship sank?
5. What did Pi do the first day in the life boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 39, where did Pi end up after being thrown overboard?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 25, why did Pi not feel as though he fit in anywhere?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 51, readers see Pi's persistence pay off as he finds food and water. How did Pi find the food and water?
4. How is the zebra like Pi in Part 2, Chapter 46?
5. How is the lion in the zoo in Part 1, Chapter 13 an example of the well-defined social order of animals?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
7. What part of Pi's life seems painful, as the author is with Pi looking through photo albums in Part 1, Chapter 33?
8. How did Satish Kumar influence Pi's studies?
9. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)