|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Pi spend his second night on the lifeboat?
(b) Swimming and sleeping.
(c) Crying with grief about his family.
(d) Walking about the boat.
2. What was the response of Pi's mother to his request for a Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His mother told him it was his father's decision.
(b) His mother was supportive of him as soon as he asked.
(c) His mother conceded to his wishes, but only after he argued with her.
(d) His mother did not concede to his wishes.
3. What did Pi build a raft out of?
(a) Wood and rope.
(b) Logs and life jackets.
(c) Life jackets and floating oars.
(d) Oars and floating logs.
4. Pi's interest in which of the following is one of the themes that runs throughout the book?
5. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
(a) Keep him around for protection.
(b) Kill him and cast him off onto the raft, adrift in the sea.
(c) Kill him and bury him on land.
(d) Get rid of him and have the lifeboat to himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pi saw a sea turtle near the boat, what did he do?
2. The main character grew up in what country?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 12, what do readers learn about the nameless man?
4. As night fell on his first day in the lifeboat, why did Pi become scared?
5. According to Pi, when do animals try to escape from the zoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
2. What does the closing sentence of Part 1, Chapter 35 foreshadow?
3. How did Pi get his name?
4. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 25, why did Pi not feel as though he fit in anywhere?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Pi discusses his teacher, Mr. Kumar. How are they similar and different?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
8. How does Part 1, Chapter 21 set the reader up for the remainder of the story?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 38, what pivotal event of the book takes place?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)