|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi's father tell him was the second greatest danger in the zoo?
(b) Animal cruelty.
(d) Old buildings.
2. During the first night on the lifeboat, what did the hyena do?
(a) Walked around the boat.
(b) Spent the night barking/howling.
(c) Chewed off the leg of the zebra.
(d) Slept on the tarp.
3. As Pi was in the lifeboat, what animal floated by and got into the boat?
(a) An orangutan.
(b) A dog.
(c) Another hyena.
(d) A monkey.
4. As night fell on his first day in the lifeboat, why did Pi become scared?
(a) He knew the hyena was capable of hurting him.
(b) He didn't know what would happen.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) It would be dark and rescue boats wouldn't see him.
5. How did Richard Parker end up in the lifeboat with Pi?
(a) He was there before Pi got in.
(b) Pi doesn't know how he got there.
(c) Pi helped him swim to the boat by throwing him a life buoy.
(d) He jumped into the boat from the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How large was the boat?
2. What event showed that fortune was with Pi?
3. Which of the reasons listed below is NOT one of the reasons Pi's father decided to move the family to Canada?
4. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
5. What did Pi say at the meeting of his parents and his religious teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part1, Chapter 9, Pi discusses what observation about animal behavior?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 43, what did Pi believe is off the lifeboat, as he convinced himself he only had to survive a few hours in the lifeboat before search and rescue teams arrive by ship?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 54, Pi worried about what to do with the tiger. Discuss his conclusions.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Pi discusses his teacher, Mr. Kumar. How are they similar and different?
5. How does the female black leopard in Part 1, Chapter 11 try to blend in with her environment after escaping from the Zurich Zoo?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 50, Pi says, "How true it is that necessity is the mother of invention, how very true." What does this quote reference?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 38, what pivotal event of the book takes place?
8. How did Pi get his name?
9. Who is Ganesha in Chapter Part 1, 15?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 41, what is noted as having helped Pi stay alive after the shipwreck?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)