|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Pi's suffering became intense, what did he do with the greater part of his days?
(a) Drank sea water, losing hope of survival.
(b) Trained the tiger more intensely then before.
(c) Slept in a semi-conscious state using his dream rag.
(d) Fished, determined to catch more fish to alleviate his hunger.
2. What type of storm was Pi struck with the beauty and wonder of?
(a) A monsoon.
(b) A lightning storm.
(c) A thunder storm.
(d) A hurricane.
3. What did Pi and Richard Parker come eye to eye with after the great storm?
(a) Another lifeboat.
(b) A whale.
(c) A shark.
(d) A cargo boat.
4. What did a British Royal Navy commander write that Pi took the time to read?
(a) A manual on British flora and fauna,
(b) A survival manual with practical advice on how to survive a shipwreck.
(c) A manual on how to hunt and fish after being shipwrecked,
(d) A manual about the ocean tides and currents.
5. What was the island made out of, which Pi ate in massive quantity?
6. What emerged for Pi through the darkest times?
(a) His hope.
(b) His despair.
(c) His love for his mother.
(d) His faith.
7. What did the boat do when the raft was next to it?
(a) Turned perpendicular to the waves and rolled unpleasantly.
(b) Turned perpendicular to the current and flowed with it.
(c) Turned parallel to the current and calmed in its rolling motion.
(d) Turned parallel to the waves, increasing the unpleasant rolling motion.
8. What did Pi use, lose, and re-create, to protect himself while training the tiger?
(a) A turtle shell shield.
(b) A shield made of part of the raft.
(c) A shield made of the locker door.
(d) A shield made of wood from the benches in the boat.
9. What did the manual suggest Pi drink as a nutritious drink?
(a) Turtle blood.
(b) Sea Water.
(c) Tiger urine.
(d) Fish guts.
10. About how much did Pi sleep a night?
(a) An hour.
(b) Seven hours.
(c) Five hours.
(d) Three hours.
11. After spending a nights in the trees, what did the fruit of one tree reveal to Pi?
(a) The island had a plentiful amount of food.
(b) The island was uninhabitable.
(c) The island was carnivorous.
(d) The island would be his new home.
12. What did Pi recover from the water in the collection of something that came along?
(a) Dead fish.
(b) Drifting wood.
(c) An empty, floating wine bottle.
13. What did Pi do each time he thought he saw lights in the distance?
(a) Cried in happiness, then in pain, when the lights didn't come closer.
(c) Set off a flare.
(d) Directed a broken mirror piece at the lights.
14. How did Richard Parker react when Pi shouted a greeting to him?
(a) Came closer to Pi to see what Pi wanted.
(b) Turned away from Pi, silent.
(c) Responded with the same sounds as before.
(d) Growled and roared.
15. What did Pi spend a lot of time in the manual reading about and studying?
(a) How to signal that he was alive.
(b) Navigational directions.
(c) The tide and current.
(d) How to make a shelter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi find solace in, even though he had to continually reconsider his place in God's universe?
2. What did Pi have a hard time butchering?
3. What did the interviewers want to know first?
4. What were the greatest of contradictions, according to Pi?
5. Where did Pi, Richard Parker, and the lifeboat, finally land?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)