|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emerged for Pi through the darkest times?
(a) His faith.
(b) His hope.
(c) His despair.
(d) His love for his mother.
2. What else did Pi catch besides fish?
3. What was one method of Pi's escapism?
(a) Temporary asphyxiation by putting a cloth over his face.
(b) Sleeping during the daylight hours, dreaming of his future life on land.
(c) Temporarily dreaming of his childhood home and his family.
(d) Temporarily stopping his breathing until he saw pure peace in his mind.
4. How long had Pi been at sea for when he calculated it?
(a) 227 days.
(b) 104 days.
(c) 180 days.
(d) 282 days.
5. When did Pi start spending more time on the lifeboat?
(a) When Pi lost his blanket to the sea during the storm.
(b) When the raft was ruined in the storm.
(c) When the tiger did not attack him after the storm.
(d) When the tiger moved to the raft.
6. What did the officials say to the author about the interview with Pi?
(a) It was incomplete and unusual.
(b) It was difficult and memorable.
(c) It was amazing and heroic.
(d) It was hard but purposeful.
7. What was one thing Pi was concerned and obsessed about not having enough of?
8. Whose voice did Pi start to hear after he discovered he was blind?
(a) His mother's.
(b) The tiger's.
(c) His brother's.
(d) A man's.
9. What did the interviewers feed Pi before he told them his story?
(b) A cookie.
(d) A sandwich.
10. What smell reminded Pi of childhood?
(a) The smell of the flares.
(b) The smell of the fish.
(c) The smell of the tiger.
(d) The smell of the sea.
11. What did Pi spend a lot of time in the manual reading about and studying?
(a) How to signal that he was alive.
(b) The tide and current.
(c) Navigational directions.
(d) How to make a shelter.
12. After a few days when Pi started exploring the island, what small, furry, carnivorous animal did he find?
13. What did Pi first use to communicate with the tiger after his hope returned?
(a) A wooden tube from the boat.
(b) His voice.
(c) A stick from the boat.
(d) A whistle from the locker.
14. What was the island made out of, which Pi ate in massive quantity?
15. What did the crouching tiger do when Pi turned to face him after the storm?
(a) Growled at Pi.
(b) Leaned over the boat and clubbed at a fish.
(c) Lunged at Pi, aiming to kill him.
(d) Licked his nose and averted his gaze.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the final report say about Pi's knowledge of the reason the ship sank?
2. What did Pi use a page from his notebook for?
3. What did Pi manage to salvage after the great storm?
4. About how much did Pi sleep a night?
5. What did Pi finally realize after reading the manual written by a British Royal Navy commander?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)