|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose voice did Pi start to hear after he discovered he was blind?
(a) A man's.
(b) His brother's.
(c) The tiger's.
(d) His mother's.
2. What did Pi smell when he was next to the boat?
(a) The tiger's urine.
(b) The smell of the ocean.
(c) The smell of his wet blanket.
(d) The smell of rotting food.
3. What was the island made out of, which Pi ate in massive quantity?
4. What did the boat do when the raft was next to it?
(a) Turned perpendicular to the waves and rolled unpleasantly.
(b) Turned parallel to the current and calmed in its rolling motion.
(c) Turned perpendicular to the current and flowed with it.
(d) Turned parallel to the waves, increasing the unpleasant rolling motion.
5. What did Pi start to follow after his food supplies run low?
(a) The recommended daily intake in the survival guide.
(b) The tiger, to where the tiger has sequestered fish.
(c) His normal routine.
(d) His faith, knowing he can catch more fish.
6. What did Pi first use to communicate with the tiger after his hope returned?
(a) A stick from the boat.
(b) A whistle from the locker.
(c) A wooden tube from the boat.
(d) His voice.
7. What did Pi call the tiger's snorting in and out?
8. What did the final report say about Pi's knowledge of the reason the ship sank?
(a) Pi had no conclusive knowledge.
(b) Pi had no real knowledge but was sure it had been because of bad luck.
(c) Pi knew why the ship had sank but would never divulge the secret.
(d) Pi knew that the ship had sank because he had been the one to sink it.
9. What did the interviewers want to know first?
(a) Who the tiger was and where Pi had been the past months.
(b) How the ship sank and what happened to the ship's cargo.
(c) Where Pi had learned his survival techniques from.
(d) What food Pi had eaten to survive for the past few months.
10. What did the interviewers do after Pi finished telling them what he told them?
(a) Remarked to each other in Japanese that they found the story interesting and then took a short break.
(b) Remarked to eachother in Japanese that Pi was not very forthcoming about his experiences.
(c) Remarked to each other in Spanish that Pi was brilliant and his story was sad.
(d) Talked to each other in Spanish, remarking that Pi had become unstable.
11. What was the date that Pi's interview with the officials began?
(a) January 12, 1968.
(b) April 17, 1998.
(c) February 19, 1978.
(d) March 24, 1988.
12. What was one method of Pi's escapism?
(a) Temporary asphyxiation by putting a cloth over his face.
(b) Sleeping during the daylight hours, dreaming of his future life on land.
(c) Temporarily stopping his breathing until he saw pure peace in his mind.
(d) Temporarily dreaming of his childhood home and his family.
13. What did Pi find solace in, even though he had to continually reconsider his place in God's universe?
(a) His own thoughts.
(b) His religious memories.
(c) His religious expressions.
14. What did Pi do to keep Richard Parker satisfied?
(a) Did not get near him, leaving him alone.
(b) Talked to him while he petted him.
(c) Caught as many fish as possible.
(d) Put him on the raft.
15. What did Pi use, lose, and re-create, to protect himself while training the tiger?
(a) A turtle shell shield.
(b) A shield made of wood from the benches in the boat.
(c) A shield made of part of the raft.
(d) A shield made of the locker door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after Pi discovered he was blind?
2. Why did Pi give generously to the tiger at the cost of his own hunger and thirst?
3. What did the officials say to the author about the interview with Pi?
4. What did Pi find when he boarded the other man's boat to scavenge for food?
5. What did Pi make the lifeboat more and more into?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)