|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Richard Parker's territory?
(a) Under the tarp and the rest of the lifeboat.
(b) Under the tarp and the raft.
(c) Under the tarp and in the blackness beneath.
(d) The lifeboat and the raft.
2. About how much did Pi sleep a night?
(a) An hour.
(b) Seven hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Five hours.
3. What else did Pi catch besides fish?
4. What did Pi find when he boarded the other man's boat to scavenge for food?
(a) Fish, shark meat, and crackers.
(b) Turtle meat, fish, biscuit crumbs, and water.
(c) Nothing. The man's boat was as empty as his.
(d) Olives, water, and canned fish.
5. What did Pi fail to control as time passed on the liferaft?
(a) His loneliness.
(b) His faith.
(c) His direction.
(d) His fear.
6. Once Pi's suffering became intense, what did he do with the greater part of his days?
(a) Drank sea water, losing hope of survival.
(b) Fished, determined to catch more fish to alleviate his hunger.
(c) Slept in a semi-conscious state using his dream rag.
(d) Trained the tiger more intensely then before.
7. What else did Pi see a group of, which stayed with him an entire day?
(c) Sea Lions.
8. What did the great storm one afternoon take with it?
(a) The tiger.
(b) The tarp.
(c) The collected rainwater.
(d) Pi's little raft.
9. What did the interviewers do after Pi finished telling them what he told them?
(a) Remarked to each other in Japanese that they found the story interesting and then took a short break.
(b) Remarked to eachother in Japanese that Pi was not very forthcoming about his experiences.
(c) Remarked to each other in Spanish that Pi was brilliant and his story was sad.
(d) Talked to each other in Spanish, remarking that Pi had become unstable.
10. What did Pi finally realize after reading the manual written by a British Royal Navy commander?
(a) The tiger would not kill him.
(b) He was responsible for his own survival now.
(c) The ocean was going to become more fierce in future storms.
(d) The British had a keen sense on shipwrecks.
11. What did Pi spend a lot of time in the manual reading about and studying?
(a) How to make a shelter.
(b) Navigational directions.
(c) How to signal that he was alive.
(d) The tide and current.
12. What did Pi discover, days after the tiger started rubbing his eyes and meowing?
(a) The tiger's gentleness.
(b) The tiger's blindness.
(c) The tiger's sore leg.
(d) The tiger's sensitivity.
13. What did Pi do each time he thought he saw lights in the distance?
(a) Cried in happiness, then in pain, when the lights didn't come closer.
(c) Set off a flare.
(d) Directed a broken mirror piece at the lights.
14. What did the boat do when the raft was next to it?
(a) Turned perpendicular to the waves and rolled unpleasantly.
(b) Turned parallel to the current and calmed in its rolling motion.
(c) Turned perpendicular to the current and flowed with it.
(d) Turned parallel to the waves, increasing the unpleasant rolling motion.
15. What did Pi recover from the water in the collection of something that came along?
(a) An empty, floating wine bottle.
(b) Dead fish.
(c) Drifting wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi first use to communicate with the tiger after his hope returned?
2. How long had Pi been at sea for when he calculated it?
3. What did Pi do to modify the raft?
4. What did Pi call the tiger's snorting in and out?
5. How did Richard Parker react when Pi shouted a greeting to him?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)