|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi use, lose, and re-create, to protect himself while training the tiger?
(a) A turtle shell shield.
(b) A shield made of wood from the benches in the boat.
(c) A shield made of the locker door.
(d) A shield made of part of the raft.
2. What did the interviewing men decide had caused the ship to sink?
(a) Pi's mother.
(b) A horrible, perfect storm.
(c) Nothing--the answer lies at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.
3. What did the manual suggest Pi drink as a nutritious drink?
(a) Tiger urine.
(b) Turtle blood.
(c) Fish guts.
(d) Sea Water.
4. What did Pi finally realize after reading the manual written by a British Royal Navy commander?
(a) The tiger would not kill him.
(b) The ocean was going to become more fierce in future storms.
(c) He was responsible for his own survival now.
(d) The British had a keen sense on shipwrecks.
5. What did the great storm one afternoon take with it?
(a) Pi's little raft.
(b) The tarp.
(c) The tiger.
(d) The collected rainwater.
6. What did Pi first use to communicate with the tiger after his hope returned?
(a) His voice.
(b) A whistle from the locker.
(c) A wooden tube from the boat.
(d) A stick from the boat.
7. What is life's only opponent, in the eyes of Pi?
8. What was the collection of that Pi's lifeboat came along in the water?
(a) Dead fish.
(b) Flying fish.
9. What else did Pi catch besides fish?
10. What were the greatest of contradictions, according to Pi?
(a) The sea and the sky.
(b) Darkness of the night and the daylight.
(c) Boredom and terror.
(d) Faith and hopelessness.
11. What did Pi make the lifeboat more and more into?
(a) A home.
(b) A shelter.
(c) A tiger's den.
(d) A zoo habitat.
12. What was the tiger trying to do with his feces?
(a) Push them into the water.
(b) Push them onto the raft.
(c) Hide them from Pi.
(d) Eat them.
13. What was the island made out of, which Pi ate in massive quantity?
14. What happened to the underside of Pi's raft?
(a) It started breaking apart.
(b) It started rotting.
(c) It became an ecosystem full of sea life.
(d) It turned green with algae.
15. What did Pi always feel at the center of?
(a) A huge circle made of sky and ocean.
(b) The circle of life.
(c) The circle of the sea.
(d) A circle of despair and hopelessness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi first see in the distance, that he dismissed as a hallucination?
2. Once Pi's suffering became intense, what did he do with the greater part of his days?
3. What did the crouching tiger do when Pi turned to face him after the storm?
4. What equipment did Pi fish the most with?
5. What did Pi tell the interviewers after they gave their impressions of Pi's story?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)