|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of vessel came close to Pi and the tiger, bringing with it a hope of rescue, and later leaving Pi with a longing feeling and a promise to deliver the tiger to land?
(a) A canoe.
(b) A speedboat.
(c) A ship.
(d) A fishing troller.
2. How did Richard Parker react when Pi shouted a greeting to him?
(a) Came closer to Pi to see what Pi wanted.
(b) Turned away from Pi, silent.
(c) Growled and roared.
(d) Responded with the same sounds as before.
3. What did Pi make the lifeboat more and more into?
(a) A tiger's den.
(b) A zoo habitat.
(c) A home.
(d) A shelter.
4. What did the interviewers do after Pi finished telling them what he told them?
(a) Talked to each other in Spanish, remarking that Pi had become unstable.
(b) Remarked to each other in Spanish that Pi was brilliant and his story was sad.
(c) Remarked to eachother in Japanese that Pi was not very forthcoming about his experiences.
(d) Remarked to each other in Japanese that they found the story interesting and then took a short break.
5. What did Pi do to modify the raft?
(a) Made a mast and draped a blanket over it to create shelter.
(b) Increased the depth of the raft by adding another layer of wood,
(c) Made a mast and found a compass in the locker to navigate with.
(d) Made the raft wider with more wood and rope.
6. After spending a nights in the trees, what did the fruit of one tree reveal to Pi?
(a) The island was uninhabitable.
(b) The island would be his new home.
(c) The island was carnivorous.
(d) The island had a plentiful amount of food.
7. What did Pi fail to control as time passed on the liferaft?
(a) His direction.
(b) His loneliness.
(c) His fear.
(d) His faith.
8. What did Pi recover from the water in the collection of something that came along?
(b) An empty, floating wine bottle.
(c) Dead fish.
(d) Drifting wood.
9. What did the final report say about Pi's knowledge of the reason the ship sank?
(a) Pi had no real knowledge but was sure it had been because of bad luck.
(b) Pi knew why the ship had sank but would never divulge the secret.
(c) Pi had no conclusive knowledge.
(d) Pi knew that the ship had sank because he had been the one to sink it.
10. What did the manual suggest Pi drink as a nutritious drink?
(a) Fish guts.
(b) Sea Water.
(c) Tiger urine.
(d) Turtle blood.
11. About how much did Pi sleep a night?
(a) Five hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Seven hours.
(d) An hour.
12. Whose voice did Pi start to hear after he discovered he was blind?
(a) A man's.
(b) His brother's.
(c) His mother's.
(d) The tiger's.
13. When Pi awoke in the middle of the night and saw the huge moonlit sky before him, what did he think about with regards to himself and the rest of the sea?
(a) How lonely the moon looked, and how lonely his heart was.
(b) How there was no chance of ever surviving in such a vast sea.
(c) How starless the sky was, and how empty his heart felt.
(d) How small he is and how vast the sea and the sky are.
14. What of Pi's disintegrated from the sun and salt?
(a) His boat.
(b) His food.
(c) His raft.
(d) His clothes.
15. What two things does Pi attribute his survival alongside Richard Parker with?
(a) Richard Parker's tendency towards seasickness and Pi being the provider of food and water.
(b) The seperate spaces of the raft and the lifeboat.
(c) His faith in his religion and his mother's love for him.
(d) His ignorance at the true dangers of Richard Parker and luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one method of Pi's escapism?
2. Since Pi had no bait, what did he cut up to fish with in the morning, after his leather shoe was unsuccessful?
3. What did Pi bring to the tiger in the morning after they had both had a restless night's sleep?
4. What did Pi use a page from his notebook for?
5. What did the interviewers want to know first?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)