|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi smell when he was next to the boat?
(a) The smell of rotting food.
(b) The smell of the ocean.
(c) The tiger's urine.
(d) The smell of his wet blanket.
2. On whose estimated birthday did Pi sing "Happy Birthday"?
(a) His brother's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His father's.
(d) The tiger's.
3. What did Pi do each time he thought he saw lights in the distance?
(a) Set off a flare.
(b) Cried in happiness, then in pain, when the lights didn't come closer.
(d) Directed a broken mirror piece at the lights.
4. What sea creatures were around the boat most of the time?
5. What else did Pi catch besides fish?
6. About how much did Pi sleep a night?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Five hours.
(c) Seven hours.
(d) An hour.
7. Where was Richard Parker's territory?
(a) The lifeboat and the raft.
(b) Under the tarp and in the blackness beneath.
(c) Under the tarp and the rest of the lifeboat.
(d) Under the tarp and the raft.
8. What did Pi do to keep Richard Parker satisfied?
(a) Put him on the raft.
(b) Caught as many fish as possible.
(c) Talked to him while he petted him.
(d) Did not get near him, leaving him alone.
9. What was Pi careful to maintain with the tiger in his quest to be known by the tiger as the alpha male?
(a) Plentiful food.
(b) Eye contact.
(c) Sufficient sleeping space.
(d) Plentiful water.
10. When did Pi start spending more time on the lifeboat?
(a) When the tiger did not attack him after the storm.
(b) When the tiger moved to the raft.
(c) When Pi lost his blanket to the sea during the storm.
(d) When the raft was ruined in the storm.
11. What happened as starvation began to set in?
(a) Pi's body began to break down and standing was difficult.
(b) Pi spent all day rocking back and forth on the raft.
(c) Pi gave up the will to survive.
(d) Pi thought about killing and eating the tiger.
12. What did Pi always feel at the center of?
(a) The circle of the sea.
(b) The circle of life.
(c) A huge circle made of sky and ocean.
(d) A circle of despair and hopelessness.
13. What equipment did Pi fish the most with?
(b) His hands.
14. What did Pi do to exert his dominance over the tiger?
(a) Handled the tiger's feces in front of him.
(b) Conducted his daily routine in front of him.
(c) Cleaned the fish he caught in front of him.
(d) Cleaned the boat of the tiger's urine in front of him.
15. How did Richard Parker react when Pi shouted a greeting to him?
(a) Came closer to Pi to see what Pi wanted.
(b) Responded with the same sounds as before.
(c) Turned away from Pi, silent.
(d) Growled and roared.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the great storm one afternoon take with it?
2. Why did Pi give generously to the tiger at the cost of his own hunger and thirst?
3. After spending a nights in the trees, what did the fruit of one tree reveal to Pi?
4. What did Pi use, lose, and re-create, to protect himself while training the tiger?
5. What else did Pi see a group of, which stayed with him an entire day?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)