|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one method of Pi's escapism?
(a) Temporarily stopping his breathing until he saw pure peace in his mind.
(b) Temporary asphyxiation by putting a cloth over his face.
(c) Sleeping during the daylight hours, dreaming of his future life on land.
(d) Temporarily dreaming of his childhood home and his family.
2. What type of storm was Pi struck with the beauty and wonder of?
(a) A thunder storm.
(b) A lightning storm.
(c) A hurricane.
(d) A monsoon.
3. What did the officials say to the author about the interview with Pi?
(a) It was incomplete and unusual.
(b) It was amazing and heroic.
(c) It was hard but purposeful.
(d) It was difficult and memorable.
4. What did Pi plan to do with the tiger once the tiger expressed friendliness and harmlessness?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Train him.
(c) Tame him.
(d) Leave him.
5. What did the interviewers want to know first?
(a) What food Pi had eaten to survive for the past few months.
(b) Where Pi had learned his survival techniques from.
(c) How the ship sank and what happened to the ship's cargo.
(d) Who the tiger was and where Pi had been the past months.
6. What did Pi do to modify the raft?
(a) Made the raft wider with more wood and rope.
(b) Increased the depth of the raft by adding another layer of wood,
(c) Made a mast and found a compass in the locker to navigate with.
(d) Made a mast and draped a blanket over it to create shelter.
7. What smell reminded Pi of childhood?
(a) The smell of the flares.
(b) The smell of the sea.
(c) The smell of the tiger.
(d) The smell of the fish.
8. What did Pi do to exert his dominance over the tiger?
(a) Conducted his daily routine in front of him.
(b) Cleaned the boat of the tiger's urine in front of him.
(c) Handled the tiger's feces in front of him.
(d) Cleaned the fish he caught in front of him.
9. On whose estimated birthday did Pi sing "Happy Birthday"?
(a) His father's.
(b) His brother's.
(c) The tiger's.
(d) His mother's.
10. What did Pi find when he boarded the other man's boat to scavenge for food?
(a) Nothing. The man's boat was as empty as his.
(b) Turtle meat, fish, biscuit crumbs, and water.
(c) Olives, water, and canned fish.
(d) Fish, shark meat, and crackers.
11. What did the interviewing men decide had caused the ship to sink?
(a) Pi's mother.
(c) A horrible, perfect storm.
(d) Nothing--the answer lies at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.
12. What sea creatures were around the boat most of the time?
13. After a few days when Pi started exploring the island, what small, furry, carnivorous animal did he find?
14. What did Pi manage to salvage after the great storm?
(a) His tarp.
(b) One whistle.
(c) His fishing pole.
(d) His raft.
15. What did Pi discover, days after the tiger started rubbing his eyes and meowing?
(a) The tiger's sore leg.
(b) The tiger's gentleness.
(c) The tiger's blindness.
(d) The tiger's sensitivity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the two men dispatched to the town interview Pi for?
2. What did Pi share for food with Richard Parker after butchering it?
3. What did a British Royal Navy commander write that Pi took the time to read?
4. What did Pi do to keep Richard Parker satisfied?
5. Since Pi had no bait, what did he cut up to fish with in the morning, after his leather shoe was unsuccessful?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)