|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was under the tarp on the boat?
(a) A locker.
(b) A pile of lifejackets.
(c) The tiger.
2. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
(a) Its territory is invaded.
(b) It is hungry.
(c) It is mean.
(d) It doesn't like the trainer or zookeeper.
3. After the hyena killed the zebra, what did the hyena do?
(a) Tried to kill Pi.
(b) Killed Orange Juice.
(c) Went to sleep.
(d) Jumped overboard.
4. What did Pi do when the sun rose the day after he built his raft?
(a) Fell asleep exhausted, wrapped in his warm blanket.
(b) Created a fishing line to use to catch food.
(c) Moved closer to the tiger for protection.
(d) Prepared to battle the tiger.
5. Who is Mamji?
(a) A respectful, affectionate term for an older person.
(b) A person who studied in England for two years.
(c) A person who used to be a competitive swimmer.
(d) A person who worked for Pi's father at the zoo.
6. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
(a) He imagined that he saw his mother.
(b) He thought he saw a rescue boat.
(c) He thought he saw an island on the horizon.
(d) He saw the tiger in the boat.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 36, who is not at Pi's home to welcome the author when the author meets again with Pi and his family?
(a) Pi's son.
(b) Pi's wife.
(c) Pi's daughter.
(d) Pi's cat.
8. When did Pi feel that God was very close to him?
(a) One day when he was riding his bike home from Mr. Kumar's, the Muslim.
(b) When he watched the Muslim shopkeeper.
(c) When he was praying in the mosque.
(d) When he was praying in the Christian church.
9. As Pi was learning about Islam, he visited a Muslim shopkeeper. Which of the following statements is true?
(a) The shopkeeper asked Pi to leave when it was time to pray.
(b) Pi didn't have dinner with the shopkeeper.
(c) The shopkeeper took Pi to a mosque.
(d) Pi bought Muslim prayer beads at the shop.
10. As Pi was losing hope, his courage rose and what did he no longer fear?
(a) The hyena.
(b) The tiger.
(c) Sleeping in the boat.
(d) Going hungry.
11. According to Pi's father, what kind of an environment do animals seek?
12. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
(a) Drinking water.
(b) Life jackets.
13. In Part 1, Chapter 1, the main character tells about his experience in which location?
(a) A Mexican restaurant.
(b) An English restaurant.
(c) A Canadian hospital.
(d) A Mexican hospital.
14. What was the main character named after?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) A swimming pool.
(c) A famous landmark.
(d) His father.
15. Which of the reasons listed below is NOT one of the reasons Pi's father decided to move the family to Canada?
(a) His father thought there would be changes in India because of Mrs. Ghandi.
(b) His father wanted to give Pi a broader view of life and religion.
(c) His father hoped to provide a better life for the family in Canada.
(d) His father worried about the political situation in India.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 30, what does the author say he learned about Pi when they met?
2. What happened when the two Mr. Kumars in Pi's life meet by chance at the zoo?
3. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
4. What event showed that fortune was with Pi?
5. According to the author, which of the following was a reason why Pi decided to get back into the lifeboat?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)