|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mamji?
(a) A person who used to be a competitive swimmer.
(b) A respectful, affectionate term for an older person.
(c) A person who worked for Pi's father at the zoo.
(d) A person who studied in England for two years.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 36, who is not at Pi's home to welcome the author when the author meets again with Pi and his family?
(a) Pi's cat.
(b) Pi's wife.
(c) Pi's son.
(d) Pi's daughter.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 48, Pi explains that the tiger got his name from what source?
(a) A mix-up in paperwork.
(b) Pi when he was at the zoo.
(c) The Pondicherry zookeeper.
(d) The author.
4. Pi's interest in which of the following is one of the themes that runs throughout the book?
5. On the first day, what animals did Pi think were on the lifeboat?
(a) A hyena, a zebra, and an orangutan.
(b) A hyena, a zebra, an orangutan, and a monkey.
(c) A zebra, an orangutan, a dog, and a hyena.
(d) Two hyenas, a zebra, and a dog.
6. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
(a) Pi did not feel he belonged in the Christian church.
(b) Pi thought the story about Jesus to be odd.
(c) Pi told Father Martin that he wanted to become a Christian.
(d) Pi went to a Hindu temple after he went to the Christian church.
7. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
(a) They all had tea together.
(b) Pi went to bed.
(c) Pi's family went out for ice cream.
(d) Pi went off by himself to think about the meeting.
8. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
(a) That Pi should spend more time studying.
(b) On the sacredness of the zoo.
(c) That all religions were basically the same.
(d) On politics.
9. As Pi was in the lifeboat, what animal floated by and got into the boat?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A dog.
(c) Another hyena.
(d) An orangutan.
10. In Part 1, Chapter 30, what does the author say he learned about Pi when they met?
(a) That Pi was twice divorced.
(b) That Pi was married.
(c) That Pi's wife's name is Meena and she is a doctor.
(d) That Pi did not believe in marriage.
11. When Pi was 14, he went on a family vacation to Munmar and saw what on the top of three hills?
(a) Religious temples.
(b) Tea estates.
12. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
(a) Do nothing and wait to be rescued.
(b) Pray to God for deliverance.
(c) Jump overboard and let the sharks kill him.
(d) Throw himself at the hyena for a fight to the death.
13. As night fell on his first day in the lifeboat, why did Pi become scared?
(a) He didn't know what would happen.
(b) It would be dark and rescue boats wouldn't see him.
(c) He knew the hyena was capable of hurting him.
(d) All answers are correct.
14. What happened when the two Mr. Kumars in Pi's life meet by chance at the zoo?
(a) Pi invited both Mr. Kumars to stay for tea at the zoo.
(b) The two Mr. Kumars discussed Pi's interfaith practices.
(c) Nothing. After an introduction they each went their separate ways.
(d) Pi gave them both carrots to feed the zebras.
15. Which of these events did not occur before the ship sank?
(a) Pi woke up and decided to go exploring.
(b) There was a general alarm to alert everyone that the ship was sinking.
(c) Acccording to Pi's brother, there had been some problem with the engines.
(d) Pi found rising water blocking his way when he tried to return to his room.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 33, when the author and Pi look through photos, what period in Pi's life has only a few photos?
3. During the first night on the lifeboat, what did the hyena do?
4. Why does the author promise the reader a happy ending to Pi's tale?
5. What animal do zookeepers think of as the most dangerous animal in the zoo?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)