|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi do when he didn't feel as welcome to his interfaith practices as before?
(a) Lingered after Muslim prayers.
(b) Talked to his religious teachers.
(c) Changed Christian churches.
(d) Attended Hindu temple only at quiet times.
2. When Pi got back into the lifeboat in Part 2, who did he see look out from under the tarp?
(a) The tiger.
(b) The monkey.
(c) The hyena.
(d) The zebra.
3. What were along the interior perimeter of the boat?
4. What did Pi build a raft out of?
(a) Oars and floating logs.
(b) Logs and life jackets.
(c) Life jackets and floating oars.
(d) Wood and rope.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 12, what do readers learn about the nameless man?
(a) He will probably remain nameless throughout the story.
(b) He is a relative of the main character.
(c) He is the main character.
(d) The author uses him only as a means to tell the story.
6. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
(a) By talking to his friends.
(b) By discovering the Muslim section of his town.
(c) By studying at school.
(d) By listening to his parents.
7. What was under the tarp on the boat?
(b) A pile of lifejackets.
(c) The tiger.
(d) A locker.
8. After the hyena killed the zebra, what did the hyena do?
(a) Went to sleep.
(b) Tried to kill Pi.
(c) Killed Orange Juice.
(d) Jumped overboard.
9. When Pi saw a sea turtle near the boat, what did he do?
(a) Got into the water and swam with the turtle.
(b) Watched the turtle until it swam off.
(c) Commanded the turtle to go for help.
(d) Talked to the turtle.
10. Who is Antieji?
(a) Pi's aunt.
(b) Pi's cousin.
(c) Pi's foster mother in Toronto.
(d) Pi's best friend.
11. As night fell on his first day in the lifeboat, why did Pi become scared?
(a) It would be dark and rescue boats wouldn't see him.
(b) He knew the hyena was capable of hurting him.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) He didn't know what would happen.
12. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
(a) Pi thought the story about Jesus to be odd.
(b) Pi went to a Hindu temple after he went to the Christian church.
(c) Pi did not feel he belonged in the Christian church.
(d) Pi told Father Martin that he wanted to become a Christian.
13. As Pi was learning about Islam, he visited a Muslim shopkeeper. Which of the following statements is true?
(a) The shopkeeper asked Pi to leave when it was time to pray.
(b) The shopkeeper took Pi to a mosque.
(c) Pi bought Muslim prayer beads at the shop.
(d) Pi didn't have dinner with the shopkeeper.
14. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
(a) He used it in the mosque.
(b) It reminded him of the sacredness of the earth.
(c) He lost it.
(d) He used it outside.
15. What is the purpose of the italicized chapters?
(a) To tell the reader how the author discovered the story.
(b) To confuse the reader.
(c) To give the reader some background about the man.
(d) To add some mysteriousness to the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
2. Which of the following is true about Pi's family's departure from India?
3. What was the response of Pi's mother to his request for a Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
4. According to Pi's father, what kind of an environment do animals seek?
5. How did Richard Parker end up in the lifeboat with Pi?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)