|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the family sold the zoo, why did it take a year before they could leave India for Canada?
(a) Pi's mother took that long to get the house and everything ready.
(b) No one wanted to buy the zoo.
(c) The paperwork took that long.
(d) No one wanted to buy the zoo animals.
2. Why does Pi think that the hyena did not attack him?
(a) Because the tiger was in the boat.
(b) Because the hyena wasn't hungry.
(c) Because Pi had not yet gotten close enough to him.
(d) Because the hyena had not yet gotten to him.
3. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
(a) Pi's father was raised as a Hindu, but had been schooled as a Baptist.
(b) Pi's parents were not very religious.
(c) Pi's parents practiced their Hindu religion faithfully all the time.
(d) Pi's mother had a Hindu upbringing, but had been schooled as a Presbyterian.
4. Who is Mamji?
(a) A person who studied in England for two years.
(b) A person who used to be a competitive swimmer.
(c) A person who worked for Pi's father at the zoo.
(d) A respectful, affectionate term for an older person.
5. How large was the boat?
(a) 4 feet deep, 18 feet wide, 10 feet long.
(b) 10 feet deep, 4 feet wide, 18 feet long.
(c) 3.5 feet deep, 8 feet wide, 26 feet long.
(d) 26 feet deep, 8 feet wide, 3.5 feet long.
6. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
(a) Sat still and thought about the predatory powers of the hyena.
(b) Jumped back into the water.
(c) Tried to quiet the hyena by distracting it.
(d) Hid under the tarp.
7. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
(a) A table.
(b) A tarp.
(c) A floor.
(d) A wall.
8. Which of the following is true about Pi's family's departure from India?
(a) Pi was excited about leaving, but his mother was sad.
(b) The ship was delayed in its departure because of weather.
(c) Other families on the ship were going to Canada as well.
(d) The whole family was excited about going to Canada.
9. What did Pi say at the meeting of his parents and his religious teachers?
(a) He wanted to study more about the religions.
(b) He would think about they said.
(c) He just wanted to love God.
(d) The religions were similar.
10. What is the purpose of the italicized chapters?
(a) To add some mysteriousness to the story.
(b) To tell the reader how the author discovered the story.
(c) To confuse the reader.
(d) To give the reader some background about the man.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 21, what is the author's purpose in writing about what he thinks after interviewing Pi?
(a) To make the reader aware of the author's religious beliefs.
(b) To help the reader understand Pi better.
(c) To make the reader aware that the author likes Pi.
(d) To help the reader know what the author thinks.
12. How did Pi spend his second night on the lifeboat?
(a) Walking about the boat.
(b) Swimming and sleeping.
(c) Crying with grief about his family.
13. What do Pi's parents think about his being so religious?
(a) They hope Pi's religious fervor is a passing phase.
(b) They just want Pi to be happy.
(c) While they may not believe as Pi does, they encourage him.
(d) They think Pi should choose one religion, whichever one he wants.
14. What was under the tarp on the boat?
(b) A pile of lifejackets.
(c) The tiger.
(d) A locker.
15. What does Pi lament to the author that he is forgetting?
(a) What Richard Parker looked like.
(b) What his mother looked like.
(c) What his father looked like.
(d) What his brother looked like.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Richard Parker end up in the lifeboat with Pi?
2. The nameless male character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2 reappears in Part 1, Chapter 6. Readers now learn what about this man?
3. Pi did what with the raft after he built it?
4. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
5. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)