|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pi lament to the author that he is forgetting?
(a) What Richard Parker looked like.
(b) What his brother looked like.
(c) What his father looked like.
(d) What his mother looked like.
2. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
(a) He saw the tiger in the boat.
(b) He imagined that he saw his mother.
(c) He thought he saw a rescue boat.
(d) He thought he saw an island on the horizon.
3. After the family sold the zoo, why did it take a year before they could leave India for Canada?
(a) Pi's mother took that long to get the house and everything ready.
(b) The paperwork took that long.
(c) No one wanted to buy the zoo animals.
(d) No one wanted to buy the zoo.
4. Who was Mr. Satish Kumar?
(a) Mr. Kumar was a good looking man who believed in God.
(b) Mr. Kumar was an agnostic.
(c) Mr. Kumar was a Communist and atheist.
(d) Mr. Kumar was the reason Pi studied theology.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 33, when the author and Pi look through photos, what period in Pi's life has only a few photos?
(a) His time at the University of Toronto.
(b) His life in India.
(c) His wedding.
(d) His time in Brazil.
6. During the first night on the lifeboat, what did the hyena do?
(a) Walked around the boat.
(b) Chewed off the leg of the zebra.
(c) Slept on the tarp.
(d) Spent the night barking/howling.
7. How important is religion to Pi?
(a) It is not important at all.
(b) It is important depending on the circumstances.
(c) It is somewhat important.
(d) It is very important.
8. What did Pi do when the sun rose the day after he built his raft?
(a) Moved closer to the tiger for protection.
(b) Prepared to battle the tiger.
(c) Fell asleep exhausted, wrapped in his warm blanket.
(d) Created a fishing line to use to catch food.
9. What do Pi's parents think about his being so religious?
(a) They think Pi should choose one religion, whichever one he wants.
(b) They hope Pi's religious fervor is a passing phase.
(c) While they may not believe as Pi does, they encourage him.
(d) They just want Pi to be happy.
10. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
(a) Pray to God for deliverance.
(b) Throw himself at the hyena for a fight to the death.
(c) Do nothing and wait to be rescued.
(d) Jump overboard and let the sharks kill him.
11. When Pi saw a sea turtle near the boat, what did he do?
(a) Watched the turtle until it swam off.
(b) Commanded the turtle to go for help.
(c) Talked to the turtle.
(d) Got into the water and swam with the turtle.
12. What was the main character named after?
(a) A swimming pool.
(b) His father.
(c) A famous landmark.
(d) His grandfather.
13. As Pi was losing hope, his courage rose and what did he no longer fear?
(a) Going hungry.
(b) The hyena.
(c) Sleeping in the boat.
(d) The tiger.
14. What happened at the meeting with Pi's parents and his three religious teachers?
(a) They all agreed Pi could be a Hindu, Muslim, and Christian at the same time.
(b) They agreed Pi should continue exploring his religious beliefs.
(c) Each teacher thought their religions had similarities.
(d) Each teacher thought Pi was more faithful to his religion than to the others.
15. As Pi was in the lifeboat, what animal floated by and got into the boat?
(a) An orangutan.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A dog.
(d) Another hyena.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Pi throw himself out of the lifeboat?
2. The main character's father loved to talk about what subject?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 21, what is the author's purpose in writing about what he thinks after interviewing Pi?
4. What is the purpose of the italicized chapters?
5. What event showed that fortune was with Pi?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)