|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The main character grew up in what country?
(b) United States.
2. During the first night on the lifeboat, what did the hyena do?
(a) Slept on the tarp.
(b) Walked around the boat.
(c) Spent the night barking/howling.
(d) Chewed off the leg of the zebra.
3. Pi took inventory of what on the boat?
(a) A metal cupboard.
(b) A cage.
(c) The locker.
(d) A wooden trunk.
4. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
(a) They wanted him to stop exploring religions and settle on one.
(b) They were uncomfortable with his religious practices.
(c) They thought he was doing the right thing.
(d) They wanted him to choose one faith and practice it.
5. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
(a) She shared her habitat with a male that she did not get along with.
(b) She roamed the countryside killing small animals.
(c) She lived for ten weeks before she was captured.
(d) She escaped during the day when the zookeeper left her cage open.
6. Which of these events did not occur before the ship sank?
(a) Pi found rising water blocking his way when he tried to return to his room.
(b) There was a general alarm to alert everyone that the ship was sinking.
(c) Acccording to Pi's brother, there had been some problem with the engines.
(d) Pi woke up and decided to go exploring.
7. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
(a) They watched a tiger eat a goat.
(b) His father showed them how quickly animals could kill them.
(c) His father told them not to try and pet a tiger.
(d) His father told them none of the animals could be touched.
8. Which of the reasons listed below is NOT one of the reasons Pi's father decided to move the family to Canada?
(a) His father hoped to provide a better life for the family in Canada.
(b) His father wanted to give Pi a broader view of life and religion.
(c) His father worried about the political situation in India.
(d) His father thought there would be changes in India because of Mrs. Ghandi.
9. On the first day, what animals did Pi think were on the lifeboat?
(a) A hyena, a zebra, an orangutan, and a monkey.
(b) A hyena, a zebra, and an orangutan.
(c) A zebra, an orangutan, a dog, and a hyena.
(d) Two hyenas, a zebra, and a dog.
10. When Pi was 14, he went on a family vacation to Munmar and saw what on the top of three hills?
(a) Tea estates.
(d) Religious temples.
11. Pi's interest in which of the following is one of the themes that runs throughout the book?
12. What animal do zookeepers think of as the most dangerous animal in the zoo?
13. How did Pi end up in the lifeboat?
(a) It was his assigned lifeboat and he went there as the ship sank.
(b) He was thrown overboard and landed there.
(c) His father put him there as the ship was sinking.
(d) He fell off the ship and swam to the lifeboat.
14. Who was Mr. Satish Kumar?
(a) Mr. Kumar was the reason Pi studied theology.
(b) Mr. Kumar was a Communist and atheist.
(c) Mr. Kumar was a good looking man who believed in God.
(d) Mr. Kumar was an agnostic.
15. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
(a) Only female lions are used in the circus.
(b) The lion must know who is boss, which will make it feel secure.
(c) All lions want to be dominated.
(d) The trainer must show the lion he is physically stronger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinced Pi he wasn't going to die?
2. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
3. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
4. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
5. When Pi saw a sea turtle near the boat, what did he do?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)