|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say was strange about the ecosystem in the lifeboat on the second day?
(a) Two wild animals slept in the boat.
(b) The hyena was in the boat.
(c) The hyena and a human were in the same boat.
(d) The hyena and orangutan existed side by side and ignored each other.
2. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
(a) He used it outside.
(b) He used it in the mosque.
(c) He lost it.
(d) It reminded him of the sacredness of the earth.
3. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
(a) Hid under the tarp.
(b) Sat still and thought about the predatory powers of the hyena.
(c) Jumped back into the water.
(d) Tried to quiet the hyena by distracting it.
4. What religion is Pi?
5. What did Pi's father tell him was the second greatest danger in the zoo?
(a) Animal cruelty.
(d) Old buildings.
6. What happened at the meeting with Pi's parents and his three religious teachers?
(a) They all agreed Pi could be a Hindu, Muslim, and Christian at the same time.
(b) They agreed Pi should continue exploring his religious beliefs.
(c) Each teacher thought Pi was more faithful to his religion than to the others.
(d) Each teacher thought their religions had similarities.
7. What did Richard Parker kill while Pi was building the raft?
(a) A rat.
(b) A bird.
(c) A fish.
(d) A hyena.
8. Who was Mr. Satish Kumar?
(a) Mr. Kumar was a Communist and atheist.
(b) Mr. Kumar was the reason Pi studied theology.
(c) Mr. Kumar was an agnostic.
(d) Mr. Kumar was a good looking man who believed in God.
9. What event showed that fortune was with Pi?
(a) He was mobile enough to get in the lifeboat.
(b) He didn't get killed by a falling zebra.
(c) He went to sleep early the night before.
(d) He was not seasick.
10. According to the author, which of the following was a reason why Pi decided to get back into the lifeboat?
(a) He wanted to get dry.
(b) There was a shark in the water.
(c) He was cold and tired.
(d) He knew the tiger would not hurt him.
11. As night fell on his first day in the lifeboat, why did Pi become scared?
(a) It would be dark and rescue boats wouldn't see him.
(b) He didn't know what would happen.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) He knew the hyena was capable of hurting him.
12. As Pi was in the lifeboat, what animal floated by and got into the boat?
(a) An orangutan.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A dog.
(d) Another hyena.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 48, Pi explains that the tiger got his name from what source?
(a) A mix-up in paperwork.
(b) Pi when he was at the zoo.
(c) The author.
(d) The Pondicherry zookeeper.
14. Which of these events did not occur before the ship sank?
(a) Pi found rising water blocking his way when he tried to return to his room.
(b) There was a general alarm to alert everyone that the ship was sinking.
(c) Pi woke up and decided to go exploring.
(d) Acccording to Pi's brother, there had been some problem with the engines.
15. The nameless male character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2 reappears in Part 1, Chapter 6. Readers now learn what about this man?
(a) He is a great cook with an extensive spice collection.
(b) He teaches the main character about animals.
(c) He likes to swim.
(d) He works in the zoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Pi's father, what kind of an environment do animals seek?
2. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
3. What did the main character think about the animals in the zoo?
4. Pi's interest in which of the following is one of the themes that runs throughout the book?
5. Who were the two men Pi called the "prophets of his youth"?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)