|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event showed that fortune was with Pi?
(a) He was not seasick.
(b) He didn't get killed by a falling zebra.
(c) He was mobile enough to get in the lifeboat.
(d) He went to sleep early the night before.
2. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
(c) Drinking water.
(d) Life jackets.
3. What does Pi lament to the author that he is forgetting?
(a) What Richard Parker looked like.
(b) What his father looked like.
(c) What his mother looked like.
(d) What his brother looked like.
4. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
(a) Jump overboard and let the sharks kill him.
(b) Do nothing and wait to be rescued.
(c) Throw himself at the hyena for a fight to the death.
(d) Pray to God for deliverance.
5. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
(a) She roamed the countryside killing small animals.
(b) She shared her habitat with a male that she did not get along with.
(c) She escaped during the day when the zookeeper left her cage open.
(d) She lived for ten weeks before she was captured.
6. According to Pi, when do animals try to escape from the zoo?
(a) When they are hungry.
(b) When they are unhappy.
(c) When they don't like their habitat.
(d) When they want to return to their prior home.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 33, when the author and Pi look through photos, what period in Pi's life has only a few photos?
(a) His time in Brazil.
(b) His life in India.
(c) His time at the University of Toronto.
(d) His wedding.
8. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
(a) The trainer must show the lion he is physically stronger.
(b) The lion must know who is boss, which will make it feel secure.
(c) All lions want to be dominated.
(d) Only female lions are used in the circus.
9. What did Pi do when he didn't feel as welcome to his interfaith practices as before?
(a) Talked to his religious teachers.
(b) Lingered after Muslim prayers.
(c) Changed Christian churches.
(d) Attended Hindu temple only at quiet times.
10. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
(a) Its territory is invaded.
(b) It is hungry.
(c) It is mean.
(d) It doesn't like the trainer or zookeeper.
11. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
(a) Pi went off by himself to think about the meeting.
(b) They all had tea together.
(c) Pi's family went out for ice cream.
(d) Pi went to bed.
12. What did Pi do the first day in the life boat?
(a) He explored the life boat.
(b) He helped the animals on board.
(c) He made himself secure.
(d) He kept alert looking for survivors and rescue teams.
13. When did Pi feel that God was very close to him?
(a) When he watched the Muslim shopkeeper.
(b) One day when he was riding his bike home from Mr. Kumar's, the Muslim.
(c) When he was praying in the mosque.
(d) When he was praying in the Christian church.
14. What is the purpose of the italicized chapters?
(a) To tell the reader how the author discovered the story.
(b) To confuse the reader.
(c) To add some mysteriousness to the story.
(d) To give the reader some background about the man.
15. What was the response of Pi's father to his request for Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His father said to talk to his mother about it.
(b) His father didn't question him about this decision.
(c) His father just wanted Pi to be happy.
(d) His father thought it was a good idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi's father tell him was the second greatest danger in the zoo?
2. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
3. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
4. Why does the author promise the reader a happy ending to Pi's tale?
5. The author uses the animals as symbols of what?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)