|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The main character's father loved to talk about what subject?
2. What convinced Pi he wasn't going to die?
(a) A friend.
(b) A rat.
(c) A voice.
(d) Richard Parker.
3. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's baptism?
(a) The actual baptism was, for him, as refreshing as a warm summer rain.
(b) His father, mother and brother came, even though it was against their will.
(c) It was an uncomfortable event for Pi.
(d) The actual baptism involved only a trickle of water poured over his head.
4. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
(a) Pi's parents practiced their Hindu religion faithfully all the time.
(b) Pi's parents were not very religious.
(c) Pi's father was raised as a Hindu, but had been schooled as a Baptist.
(d) Pi's mother had a Hindu upbringing, but had been schooled as a Presbyterian.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 33, when the author and Pi look through photos, what period in Pi's life has only a few photos?
(a) His time in Brazil.
(b) His wedding.
(c) His life in India.
(d) His time at the University of Toronto.
6. What is the omega animal?
(a) The one with the lowest social standing in their group.
(b) The animal that is given the easiest tricks to learn.
(c) The hardest animal to train.
(d) The one with the highest social standing in their group.
7. The nameless male character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2 reappears in Part 1, Chapter 6. Readers now learn what about this man?
(a) He teaches the main character about animals.
(b) He works in the zoo.
(c) He likes to swim.
(d) He is a great cook with an extensive spice collection.
8. Pi did what with the raft after he built it?
(a) Put it on the dry land to keep it safe.
(b) Set it free into the water.
(c) Used it to build a wall to block Richard Parker's view of him sleeping.
(d) Tethered it to the boat.
9. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
(a) He used it outside.
(b) It reminded him of the sacredness of the earth.
(c) He lost it.
(d) He used it in the mosque.
10. Who is Antieji?
(a) Pi's cousin.
(b) Pi's foster mother in Toronto.
(c) Pi's best friend.
(d) Pi's aunt.
11. What does Pi lament to the author that he is forgetting?
(a) What Richard Parker looked like.
(b) What his father looked like.
(c) What his mother looked like.
(d) What his brother looked like.
12. Which of the following does Pi discuss as a strange living arrangement of animals?
(a) A mouse living with a viper.
(b) Monkeys living with a zebra.
(c) A cat living with a lion.
(d) Sheep living with a rhino.
13. What is the purpose of the italicized chapters?
(a) To tell the reader how the author discovered the story.
(b) To give the reader some background about the man.
(c) To confuse the reader.
(d) To add some mysteriousness to the story.
14. How important is religion to Pi?
(a) It is important depending on the circumstances.
(b) It is not important at all.
(c) It is somewhat important.
(d) It is very important.
15. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
(a) He saw the tiger in the boat.
(b) He imagined that he saw his mother.
(c) He thought he saw a rescue boat.
(d) He thought he saw an island on the horizon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pi think that the hyena did not attack him?
2. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
3. Which of these events did not occur before the ship sank?
4. According to the author, which of the following was a reason why Pi decided to get back into the lifeboat?
5. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)