|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Pi throw himself out of the lifeboat?
(a) He realized he was in a boat with a Bengal tiger.
(b) He thought he saw another lifeboat that might be safer.
(c) He was hot and he thought he could cool off in the water.
(d) Someone called to him to swim to another boat.
2. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
(a) He thought he saw a rescue boat.
(b) He imagined that he saw his mother.
(c) He saw the tiger in the boat.
(d) He thought he saw an island on the horizon.
3. The main character's father loved to talk about what subject?
4. Why does Pi think that the hyena did not attack him?
(a) Because the hyena wasn't hungry.
(b) Because the hyena had not yet gotten to him.
(c) Because Pi had not yet gotten close enough to him.
(d) Because the tiger was in the boat.
5. What did Pi say at the meeting of his parents and his religious teachers?
(a) The religions were similar.
(b) He just wanted to love God.
(c) He wanted to study more about the religions.
(d) He would think about they said.
6. How did Richard Parker end up in the lifeboat with Pi?
(a) Pi doesn't know how he got there.
(b) He jumped into the boat from the ship.
(c) Pi helped him swim to the boat by throwing him a life buoy.
(d) He was there before Pi got in.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 30, what does the author say he learned about Pi when they met?
(a) That Pi's wife's name is Meena and she is a doctor.
(b) That Pi was twice divorced.
(c) That Pi did not believe in marriage.
(d) That Pi was married.
8. What is the omega animal?
(a) The one with the highest social standing in their group.
(b) The animal that is given the easiest tricks to learn.
(c) The hardest animal to train.
(d) The one with the lowest social standing in their group.
9. How did Pi end up in the lifeboat?
(a) It was his assigned lifeboat and he went there as the ship sank.
(b) He was thrown overboard and landed there.
(c) His father put him there as the ship was sinking.
(d) He fell off the ship and swam to the lifeboat.
10. What happened when the two Mr. Kumars in Pi's life meet by chance at the zoo?
(a) The two Mr. Kumars discussed Pi's interfaith practices.
(b) Nothing. After an introduction they each went their separate ways.
(c) Pi invited both Mr. Kumars to stay for tea at the zoo.
(d) Pi gave them both carrots to feed the zebras.
11. What animal do zookeepers think of as the most dangerous animal in the zoo?
12. Who were the two men Pi called the "prophets of his youth"?
(a) Satish Kumar, the atheist, and Satish Kumar, the Sufi.
(b) Satish Kumar, the atheist, and Mamji.
(c) Mamji and Pi's father.
(d) Satish Kumar, the Sufi, and Mamji.
13. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
(a) Pi went off by himself to think about the meeting.
(b) Pi's family went out for ice cream.
(c) They all had tea together.
(d) Pi went to bed.
14. Which of the following does Pi discuss as a strange living arrangement of animals?
(a) A cat living with a lion.
(b) Sheep living with a rhino.
(c) A mouse living with a viper.
(d) Monkeys living with a zebra.
15. Why does the author promise the reader a happy ending to Pi's tale?
(a) So the reader will not feel so sad.
(b) He has no specific reason for doing this.
(c) So the reader will continue reading the story.
(d) Because people like to read books with happy endings.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Pi was in the lifeboat, what animal floated by and got into the boat?
2. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
3. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 33, when the author and Pi look through photos, what period in Pi's life has only a few photos?
5. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)