|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
(a) That all religions were basically the same.
(b) On politics.
(c) That Pi should spend more time studying.
(d) On the sacredness of the zoo.
2. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
(a) Pi's father was raised as a Hindu, but had been schooled as a Baptist.
(b) Pi's parents practiced their Hindu religion faithfully all the time.
(c) Pi's mother had a Hindu upbringing, but had been schooled as a Presbyterian.
(d) Pi's parents were not very religious.
3. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
(a) Only female lions are used in the circus.
(b) All lions want to be dominated.
(c) The lion must know who is boss, which will make it feel secure.
(d) The trainer must show the lion he is physically stronger.
4. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
(a) A table.
(b) A tarp.
(c) A floor.
(d) A wall.
5. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
(a) Kill him and cast him off onto the raft, adrift in the sea.
(b) Kill him and bury him on land.
(c) Keep him around for protection.
(d) Get rid of him and have the lifeboat to himself.
6. What did Pi say at the meeting of his parents and his religious teachers?
(a) He wanted to study more about the religions.
(b) He just wanted to love God.
(c) He would think about they said.
(d) The religions were similar.
7. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
(a) She shared her habitat with a male that she did not get along with.
(b) She escaped during the day when the zookeeper left her cage open.
(c) She roamed the countryside killing small animals.
(d) She lived for ten weeks before she was captured.
8. In Part 1, Chapter 21, what is the author's purpose in writing about what he thinks after interviewing Pi?
(a) To make the reader aware of the author's religious beliefs.
(b) To help the reader know what the author thinks.
(c) To make the reader aware that the author likes Pi.
(d) To help the reader understand Pi better.
9. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
(a) He thought he saw an island on the horizon.
(b) He thought he saw a rescue boat.
(c) He imagined that he saw his mother.
(d) He saw the tiger in the boat.
10. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
(a) Pi went to a Hindu temple after he went to the Christian church.
(b) Pi told Father Martin that he wanted to become a Christian.
(c) Pi thought the story about Jesus to be odd.
(d) Pi did not feel he belonged in the Christian church.
11. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
(a) They all had tea together.
(b) Pi went to bed.
(c) Pi went off by himself to think about the meeting.
(d) Pi's family went out for ice cream.
12. The author uses the animals as symbols of what?
(a) Different aspects of human nature.
(b) They are not symbols.
(c) Pi or some part of him.
(d) Man's aggression.
13. Who is Antieji?
(a) Pi's best friend.
(b) Pi's foster mother in Toronto.
(c) Pi's aunt.
(d) Pi's cousin.
14. What happened at the meeting with Pi's parents and his three religious teachers?
(a) They all agreed Pi could be a Hindu, Muslim, and Christian at the same time.
(b) Each teacher thought Pi was more faithful to his religion than to the others.
(c) Each teacher thought their religions had similarities.
(d) They agreed Pi should continue exploring his religious beliefs.
15. According to the author, which of the following was a reason why Pi decided to get back into the lifeboat?
(a) He knew the tiger would not hurt him.
(b) There was a shark in the water.
(c) He wanted to get dry.
(d) He was cold and tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pi did what with the raft after he built it?
2. Why does Pi think that the hyena did not attack him?
3. Pi took inventory of what on the boat?
4. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
5. What does the author say was strange about the ecosystem in the lifeboat on the second day?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)