|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What convinced Pi he wasn't going to die?
(a) Richard Parker.
(b) A rat.
(c) A voice.
(d) A friend.
2. What did the main character think about the animals in the zoo?
(a) They would like to return to the wild.
(b) They were happy living in the zoo.
(c) They were fearful of the other animals in the zoo.
(d) They were not happy living in the zoo.
3. How did Pi spend his second night on the lifeboat?
(a) Walking about the boat.
(b) Crying with grief about his family.
(c) Swimming and sleeping.
4. What did Pi's father tell him was the second greatest danger in the zoo?
(c) Old buildings.
(d) Animal cruelty.
5. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
(a) That all religions were basically the same.
(b) That Pi should spend more time studying.
(c) On the sacredness of the zoo.
(d) On politics.
6. In Part 1, Chapter 30, what does the author say he learned about Pi when they met?
(a) That Pi was married.
(b) That Pi's wife's name is Meena and she is a doctor.
(c) That Pi was twice divorced.
(d) That Pi did not believe in marriage.
7. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
(a) All lions want to be dominated.
(b) The lion must know who is boss, which will make it feel secure.
(c) Only female lions are used in the circus.
(d) The trainer must show the lion he is physically stronger.
8. Pi's interest in which of the following is one of the themes that runs throughout the book?
9. What was the main character named after?
(a) His father.
(b) A famous landmark.
(c) A swimming pool.
(d) His grandfather.
10. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
(a) Jump overboard and let the sharks kill him.
(b) Do nothing and wait to be rescued.
(c) Throw himself at the hyena for a fight to the death.
(d) Pray to God for deliverance.
11. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's baptism?
(a) The actual baptism was, for him, as refreshing as a warm summer rain.
(b) His father, mother and brother came, even though it was against their will.
(c) The actual baptism involved only a trickle of water poured over his head.
(d) It was an uncomfortable event for Pi.
12. What was the response of Pi's mother to his request for a Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His mother conceded to his wishes, but only after he argued with her.
(b) His mother did not concede to his wishes.
(c) His mother was supportive of him as soon as he asked.
(d) His mother told him it was his father's decision.
13. As Pi was learning about Islam, he visited a Muslim shopkeeper. Which of the following statements is true?
(a) The shopkeeper asked Pi to leave when it was time to pray.
(b) Pi didn't have dinner with the shopkeeper.
(c) The shopkeeper took Pi to a mosque.
(d) Pi bought Muslim prayer beads at the shop.
14. What is the omega animal?
(a) The one with the highest social standing in their group.
(b) The one with the lowest social standing in their group.
(c) The animal that is given the easiest tricks to learn.
(d) The hardest animal to train.
15. What did Pi build a raft out of?
(a) Oars and floating logs.
(b) Life jackets and floating oars.
(c) Wood and rope.
(d) Logs and life jackets.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main character's father loved to talk about what subject?
2. What do Pi's parents think about his being so religious?
3. Which of the following does Pi discuss as a strange living arrangement of animals?
4. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
5. How did Pi end up in the lifeboat?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)