|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
(a) Tried to quiet the hyena by distracting it.
(b) Hid under the tarp.
(c) Sat still and thought about the predatory powers of the hyena.
(d) Jumped back into the water.
2. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
(a) They watched a tiger eat a goat.
(b) His father told them none of the animals could be touched.
(c) His father showed them how quickly animals could kill them.
(d) His father told them not to try and pet a tiger.
3. The main character's father loved to talk about what subject?
4. What animal do zookeepers think of as the most dangerous animal in the zoo?
5. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
(a) That Pi should spend more time studying.
(b) On politics.
(c) That all religions were basically the same.
(d) On the sacredness of the zoo.
6. The author uses the animals as symbols of what?
(a) Man's aggression.
(b) Pi or some part of him.
(c) Different aspects of human nature.
(d) They are not symbols.
7. What did Pi build a raft out of?
(a) Life jackets and floating oars.
(b) Wood and rope.
(c) Logs and life jackets.
(d) Oars and floating logs.
8. How did Pi spend his second night on the lifeboat?
(b) Walking about the boat.
(c) Swimming and sleeping.
(d) Crying with grief about his family.
9. What was the response of Pi's father to his request for Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His father didn't question him about this decision.
(b) His father said to talk to his mother about it.
(c) His father just wanted Pi to be happy.
(d) His father thought it was a good idea.
10. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
(a) That the worst may be over.
(b) That there would be no more rain.
(c) That bad things happen to good people.
(d) That good always follows bad.
11. What was the main character named after?
(a) A swimming pool.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) A famous landmark.
(d) His father.
12. When did Pi feel that God was very close to him?
(a) One day when he was riding his bike home from Mr. Kumar's, the Muslim.
(b) When he was praying in the Christian church.
(c) When he watched the Muslim shopkeeper.
(d) When he was praying in the mosque.
13. Why did Pi throw himself out of the lifeboat?
(a) He was hot and he thought he could cool off in the water.
(b) He thought he saw another lifeboat that might be safer.
(c) Someone called to him to swim to another boat.
(d) He realized he was in a boat with a Bengal tiger.
14. What religion is Pi?
15. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
(a) Pi thought the story about Jesus to be odd.
(b) Pi went to a Hindu temple after he went to the Christian church.
(c) Pi did not feel he belonged in the Christian church.
(d) Pi told Father Martin that he wanted to become a Christian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
2. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
3. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
4. What do Pi's parents think about his being so religious?
5. The nameless male character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2 reappears in Part 1, Chapter 6. Readers now learn what about this man?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)