|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pi do when he didn't feel as welcome to his interfaith practices as before?
(a) Changed Christian churches.
(b) Talked to his religious teachers.
(c) Lingered after Muslim prayers.
(d) Attended Hindu temple only at quiet times.
2. Who is Antieji?
(a) Pi's best friend.
(b) Pi's foster mother in Toronto.
(c) Pi's aunt.
(d) Pi's cousin.
3. After the family sold the zoo, why did it take a year before they could leave India for Canada?
(a) No one wanted to buy the zoo animals.
(b) The paperwork took that long.
(c) Pi's mother took that long to get the house and everything ready.
(d) No one wanted to buy the zoo.
4. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
(a) He thought he saw an island on the horizon.
(b) He thought he saw a rescue boat.
(c) He saw the tiger in the boat.
(d) He imagined that he saw his mother.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 48, Pi explains that the tiger got his name from what source?
(a) Pi when he was at the zoo.
(b) The author.
(c) The Pondicherry zookeeper.
(d) A mix-up in paperwork.
6. What did the main character think about the animals in the zoo?
(a) They were fearful of the other animals in the zoo.
(b) They were not happy living in the zoo.
(c) They were happy living in the zoo.
(d) They would like to return to the wild.
7. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
(a) Jump overboard and let the sharks kill him.
(b) Pray to God for deliverance.
(c) Throw himself at the hyena for a fight to the death.
(d) Do nothing and wait to be rescued.
8. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
(a) Hid under the tarp.
(b) Sat still and thought about the predatory powers of the hyena.
(c) Tried to quiet the hyena by distracting it.
(d) Jumped back into the water.
9. What was the response of Pi's father to his request for Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His father thought it was a good idea.
(b) His father said to talk to his mother about it.
(c) His father didn't question him about this decision.
(d) His father just wanted Pi to be happy.
10. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
(a) Pi's father was raised as a Hindu, but had been schooled as a Baptist.
(b) Pi's mother had a Hindu upbringing, but had been schooled as a Presbyterian.
(c) Pi's parents practiced their Hindu religion faithfully all the time.
(d) Pi's parents were not very religious.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 1, the main character tells about his experience in which location?
(a) An English restaurant.
(b) A Mexican restaurant.
(c) A Canadian hospital.
(d) A Mexican hospital.
12. Which of these events did not occur before the ship sank?
(a) Acccording to Pi's brother, there had been some problem with the engines.
(b) Pi woke up and decided to go exploring.
(c) Pi found rising water blocking his way when he tried to return to his room.
(d) There was a general alarm to alert everyone that the ship was sinking.
13. What were along the interior perimeter of the boat?
14. What did Richard Parker kill while Pi was building the raft?
(a) A hyena.
(b) A fish.
(c) A bird.
(d) A rat.
15. Why does Pi think that the hyena did not attack him?
(a) Because Pi had not yet gotten close enough to him.
(b) Because the tiger was in the boat.
(c) Because the hyena wasn't hungry.
(d) Because the hyena had not yet gotten to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
2. What happened at the meeting with Pi's parents and his three religious teachers?
3. Why does the author promise the reader a happy ending to Pi's tale?
4. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
5. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)