|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
(a) Only female lions are used in the circus.
(b) The trainer must show the lion he is physically stronger.
(c) All lions want to be dominated.
(d) The lion must know who is boss, which will make it feel secure.
2. What did Pi do when the sun rose the day after he built his raft?
(a) Prepared to battle the tiger.
(b) Moved closer to the tiger for protection.
(c) Created a fishing line to use to catch food.
(d) Fell asleep exhausted, wrapped in his warm blanket.
3. During the first night on the lifeboat, what did the hyena do?
(a) Slept on the tarp.
(b) Chewed off the leg of the zebra.
(c) Walked around the boat.
(d) Spent the night barking/howling.
4. Who were the two men Pi called the "prophets of his youth"?
(a) Satish Kumar, the Sufi, and Mamji.
(b) Mamji and Pi's father.
(c) Satish Kumar, the atheist, and Mamji.
(d) Satish Kumar, the atheist, and Satish Kumar, the Sufi.
5. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
(a) Pi went to bed.
(b) Pi went off by himself to think about the meeting.
(c) They all had tea together.
(d) Pi's family went out for ice cream.
6. What was the response of Pi's mother to his request for a Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His mother did not concede to his wishes.
(b) His mother was supportive of him as soon as he asked.
(c) His mother told him it was his father's decision.
(d) His mother conceded to his wishes, but only after he argued with her.
7. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
(a) His father told them not to try and pet a tiger.
(b) They watched a tiger eat a goat.
(c) His father showed them how quickly animals could kill them.
(d) His father told them none of the animals could be touched.
8. When did Pi feel that God was very close to him?
(a) When he watched the Muslim shopkeeper.
(b) When he was praying in the Christian church.
(c) One day when he was riding his bike home from Mr. Kumar's, the Muslim.
(d) When he was praying in the mosque.
9. After the family sold the zoo, why did it take a year before they could leave India for Canada?
(a) No one wanted to buy the zoo animals.
(b) Pi's mother took that long to get the house and everything ready.
(c) No one wanted to buy the zoo.
(d) The paperwork took that long.
10. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
(a) It doesn't like the trainer or zookeeper.
(b) Its territory is invaded.
(c) It is hungry.
(d) It is mean.
11. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
(a) By studying at school.
(b) By talking to his friends.
(c) By discovering the Muslim section of his town.
(d) By listening to his parents.
12. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
(a) They thought he was doing the right thing.
(b) They wanted him to choose one faith and practice it.
(c) They wanted him to stop exploring religions and settle on one.
(d) They were uncomfortable with his religious practices.
13. Which of the following does Pi discuss as a strange living arrangement of animals?
(a) A mouse living with a viper.
(b) Sheep living with a rhino.
(c) A cat living with a lion.
(d) Monkeys living with a zebra.
14. The nameless male character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2 reappears in Part 1, Chapter 6. Readers now learn what about this man?
(a) He is a great cook with an extensive spice collection.
(b) He teaches the main character about animals.
(c) He likes to swim.
(d) He works in the zoo.
15. The main character grew up in what country?
(d) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pi lament to the author that he is forgetting?
2. After the hyena killed the zebra, what did the hyena do?
3. What is the omega animal?
4. Which of these events did not occur before the ship sank?
5. What did Pi not find after looking around on the boat?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)