|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the omega animal?
(a) The one with the lowest social standing in their group.
(b) The one with the highest social standing in their group.
(c) The hardest animal to train.
(d) The animal that is given the easiest tricks to learn.
2. According to Pi, when have successful zookeepers created a healthy environment for the animals?
(a) When the animals get along with humans.
(b) When the animals reproduce.
(c) When the animals eat well.
(d) When the animals don't try to get out.
3. As Pi was in the lifeboat, what animal floated by and got into the boat?
(a) Another hyena.
(b) A dog.
(c) A monkey.
(d) An orangutan.
4. What was the response of Pi's father to his request for Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His father thought it was a good idea.
(b) His father just wanted Pi to be happy.
(c) His father didn't question him about this decision.
(d) His father said to talk to his mother about it.
5. The author uses the animals as symbols of what?
(a) Man's aggression.
(b) Different aspects of human nature.
(c) They are not symbols.
(d) Pi or some part of him.
6. What does Pi lament to the author that he is forgetting?
(a) What his brother looked like.
(b) What Richard Parker looked like.
(c) What his father looked like.
(d) What his mother looked like.
7. How did Richard Parker end up in the lifeboat with Pi?
(a) He jumped into the boat from the ship.
(b) Pi doesn't know how he got there.
(c) Pi helped him swim to the boat by throwing him a life buoy.
(d) He was there before Pi got in.
8. The main character grew up in what country?
(a) United States.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 30, what does the author say he learned about Pi when they met?
(a) That Pi's wife's name is Meena and she is a doctor.
(b) That Pi was married.
(c) That Pi did not believe in marriage.
(d) That Pi was twice divorced.
10. What did Pi's father tell him was the second greatest danger in the zoo?
(b) Old buildings.
(c) Animal cruelty.
11. The main character's father loved to talk about what subject?
12. What did Pi do the first day in the life boat?
(a) He kept alert looking for survivors and rescue teams.
(b) He helped the animals on board.
(c) He made himself secure.
(d) He explored the life boat.
13. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
(a) Keep him around for protection.
(b) Kill him and bury him on land.
(c) Get rid of him and have the lifeboat to himself.
(d) Kill him and cast him off onto the raft, adrift in the sea.
14. The nameless male character introduced in Part 1, Chapter 2 reappears in Part 1, Chapter 6. Readers now learn what about this man?
(a) He likes to swim.
(b) He is a great cook with an extensive spice collection.
(c) He works in the zoo.
(d) He teaches the main character about animals.
15. According to Pi's father, what kind of an environment do animals seek?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pi build a raft out of?
2. What was under the tarp on the boat?
3. Which of the following does Pi discuss as a strange living arrangement of animals?
4. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
5. What did Pi do when he didn't feel as welcome to his interfaith practices as before?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)