|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion is Pi?
2. What was the response of Pi's father to his request for Christian baptism and a prayer rug?
(a) His father didn't question him about this decision.
(b) His father just wanted Pi to be happy.
(c) His father said to talk to his mother about it.
(d) His father thought it was a good idea.
3. What happened when the two Mr. Kumars in Pi's life meet by chance at the zoo?
(a) Pi gave them both carrots to feed the zebras.
(b) Nothing. After an introduction they each went their separate ways.
(c) Pi invited both Mr. Kumars to stay for tea at the zoo.
(d) The two Mr. Kumars discussed Pi's interfaith practices.
4. Who is Mamji?
(a) A person who worked for Pi's father at the zoo.
(b) A person who studied in England for two years.
(c) A person who used to be a competitive swimmer.
(d) A respectful, affectionate term for an older person.
5. What do Pi's parents think about his being so religious?
(a) They just want Pi to be happy.
(b) While they may not believe as Pi does, they encourage him.
(c) They think Pi should choose one religion, whichever one he wants.
(d) They hope Pi's religious fervor is a passing phase.
6. Which of the following does Pi discuss as a strange living arrangement of animals?
(a) A cat living with a lion.
(b) Monkeys living with a zebra.
(c) Sheep living with a rhino.
(d) A mouse living with a viper.
7. What did the main character think about the animals in the zoo?
(a) They were fearful of the other animals in the zoo.
(b) They were not happy living in the zoo.
(c) They would like to return to the wild.
(d) They were happy living in the zoo.
8. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
(a) It reminded him of the sacredness of the earth.
(b) He used it outside.
(c) He lost it.
(d) He used it in the mosque.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 1, the main character tells about his experience in which location?
(a) A Mexican hospital.
(b) An English restaurant.
(c) A Mexican restaurant.
(d) A Canadian hospital.
10. Which of the following is true about Pi's family's departure from India?
(a) The whole family was excited about going to Canada.
(b) Other families on the ship were going to Canada as well.
(c) Pi was excited about leaving, but his mother was sad.
(d) The ship was delayed in its departure because of weather.
11. When Pi was 14, he went on a family vacation to Munmar and saw what on the top of three hills?
(a) Tea estates.
(b) Religious temples.
12. Pi took inventory of what on the boat?
(a) A cage.
(b) The locker.
(c) A wooden trunk.
(d) A metal cupboard.
13. The author uses the animals as symbols of what?
(a) Pi or some part of him.
(b) They are not symbols.
(c) Different aspects of human nature.
(d) Man's aggression.
14. According to Pi, when have successful zookeepers created a healthy environment for the animals?
(a) When the animals don't try to get out.
(b) When the animals eat well.
(c) When the animals reproduce.
(d) When the animals get along with humans.
15. How large was the boat?
(a) 4 feet deep, 18 feet wide, 10 feet long.
(b) 10 feet deep, 4 feet wide, 18 feet long.
(c) 26 feet deep, 8 feet wide, 3.5 feet long.
(d) 3.5 feet deep, 8 feet wide, 26 feet long.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say was strange about the ecosystem in the lifeboat on the second day?
2. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
3. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
4. What animal do zookeepers think of as the most dangerous animal in the zoo?
5. As Pi was learning about Islam, he visited a Muslim shopkeeper. Which of the following statements is true?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)