|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Mr. Satish Kumar?
(a) Mr. Kumar was a good looking man who believed in God.
(b) Mr. Kumar was an agnostic.
(c) Mr. Kumar was a Communist and atheist.
(d) Mr. Kumar was the reason Pi studied theology.
2. According to Pi's father, what kind of an environment do animals seek?
3. What was under the tarp on the boat?
(a) The tiger.
(b) A locker.
(d) A pile of lifejackets.
4. What made Pi re-evaluate his position in the lifeboat?
(a) He imagined that he saw his mother.
(b) He thought he saw an island on the horizon.
(c) He thought he saw a rescue boat.
(d) He saw the tiger in the boat.
5. What religion is Pi?
6. What did the main character think about the animals in the zoo?
(a) They were happy living in the zoo.
(b) They were not happy living in the zoo.
(c) They were fearful of the other animals in the zoo.
(d) They would like to return to the wild.
7. As Pi was learning about Islam, he visited a Muslim shopkeeper. Which of the following statements is true?
(a) The shopkeeper took Pi to a mosque.
(b) Pi bought Muslim prayer beads at the shop.
(c) Pi didn't have dinner with the shopkeeper.
(d) The shopkeeper asked Pi to leave when it was time to pray.
8. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
(a) Hid under the tarp.
(b) Sat still and thought about the predatory powers of the hyena.
(c) Jumped back into the water.
(d) Tried to quiet the hyena by distracting it.
9. What did Pi do when he didn't feel as welcome to his interfaith practices as before?
(a) Attended Hindu temple only at quiet times.
(b) Changed Christian churches.
(c) Lingered after Muslim prayers.
(d) Talked to his religious teachers.
10. The main character's father loved to talk about what subject?
11. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
(a) He lost it.
(b) It reminded him of the sacredness of the earth.
(c) He used it outside.
(d) He used it in the mosque.
12. Pi did what with the raft after he built it?
(a) Used it to build a wall to block Richard Parker's view of him sleeping.
(b) Tethered it to the boat.
(c) Put it on the dry land to keep it safe.
(d) Set it free into the water.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 48, Pi explains that the tiger got his name from what source?
(a) Pi when he was at the zoo.
(b) The Pondicherry zookeeper.
(c) A mix-up in paperwork.
(d) The author.
14. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
(a) By studying at school.
(b) By discovering the Muslim section of his town.
(c) By talking to his friends.
(d) By listening to his parents.
15. In Part 1, Chapter 12, what do readers learn about the nameless man?
(a) He will probably remain nameless throughout the story.
(b) He is a relative of the main character.
(c) The author uses him only as a means to tell the story.
(d) He is the main character.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reaction of Pi's parents to Pi's explorations and practices of various religions?
2. What event showed that fortune was with Pi?
3. When Pi's father took his sons on a tour of the zoo, which of the following statements is not true?
4. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 33, when the author and Pi look through photos, what period in Pi's life has only a few photos?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)