|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion is Pi?
2. Which of these events did not occur before the ship sank?
(a) Acccording to Pi's brother, there had been some problem with the engines.
(b) There was a general alarm to alert everyone that the ship was sinking.
(c) Pi found rising water blocking his way when he tried to return to his room.
(d) Pi woke up and decided to go exploring.
3. As Pi was losing hope, his courage rose and what did he no longer fear?
(a) Going hungry.
(b) Sleeping in the boat.
(c) The tiger.
(d) The hyena.
4. How important is religion to Pi?
(a) It is not important at all.
(b) It is important depending on the circumstances.
(c) It is somewhat important.
(d) It is very important.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 33, when the author and Pi look through photos, what period in Pi's life has only a few photos?
(a) His time at the University of Toronto.
(b) His wedding.
(c) His life in India.
(d) His time in Brazil.
6. What does the author say was strange about the ecosystem in the lifeboat on the second day?
(a) The hyena was in the boat.
(b) Two wild animals slept in the boat.
(c) The hyena and orangutan existed side by side and ignored each other.
(d) The hyena and a human were in the same boat.
7. According to Pi's father, what kind of an environment do animals seek?
8. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
(a) Its territory is invaded.
(b) It is hungry.
(c) It doesn't like the trainer or zookeeper.
(d) It is mean.
9. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
(a) Only female lions are used in the circus.
(b) The trainer must show the lion he is physically stronger.
(c) All lions want to be dominated.
(d) The lion must know who is boss, which will make it feel secure.
10. What happened after the meeting of Pi's parents and his religious teachers?
(a) Pi went to bed.
(b) They all had tea together.
(c) Pi's family went out for ice cream.
(d) Pi went off by himself to think about the meeting.
11. Pi's interest in which of the following is one of the themes that runs throughout the book?
12. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
(a) He lost it.
(b) He used it outside.
(c) He used it in the mosque.
(d) It reminded him of the sacredness of the earth.
13. On the first day, what animals did Pi think were on the lifeboat?
(a) A hyena, a zebra, an orangutan, and a monkey.
(b) A hyena, a zebra, and an orangutan.
(c) A zebra, an orangutan, a dog, and a hyena.
(d) Two hyenas, a zebra, and a dog.
14. Which of the following is true about Pi's family's departure from India?
(a) Pi was excited about leaving, but his mother was sad.
(b) The whole family was excited about going to Canada.
(c) The ship was delayed in its departure because of weather.
(d) Other families on the ship were going to Canada as well.
15. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
(a) On politics.
(b) That all religions were basically the same.
(c) That Pi should spend more time studying.
(d) On the sacredness of the zoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Pi, when do animals try to escape from the zoo?
2. Who were the two men Pi called the "prophets of his youth"?
3. The main character grew up in what country?
4. What did Pi say at the meeting of his parents and his religious teachers?
5. The main character's father loved to talk about what subject?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)