|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Pi was in the lifeboat, what animal floated by and got into the boat?
(a) A dog.
(b) A monkey.
(c) Another hyena.
(d) An orangutan.
2. What did Pi do when the sun rose the day after he built his raft?
(a) Prepared to battle the tiger.
(b) Created a fishing line to use to catch food.
(c) Fell asleep exhausted, wrapped in his warm blanket.
(d) Moved closer to the tiger for protection.
3. Which of the reasons listed below is NOT one of the reasons Pi's father decided to move the family to Canada?
(a) His father hoped to provide a better life for the family in Canada.
(b) His father thought there would be changes in India because of Mrs. Ghandi.
(c) His father wanted to give Pi a broader view of life and religion.
(d) His father worried about the political situation in India.
4. When the hyena began to act strangely, what did Pi do?
(a) Tried to quiet the hyena by distracting it.
(b) Jumped back into the water.
(c) Hid under the tarp.
(d) Sat still and thought about the predatory powers of the hyena.
5. Pi was becoming hopeless after the zebra was killed, so he decided to do what?
(a) Do nothing and wait to be rescued.
(b) Pray to God for deliverance.
(c) Jump overboard and let the sharks kill him.
(d) Throw himself at the hyena for a fight to the death.
6. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Pi's prayer rug?
(a) He used it in the mosque.
(b) It reminded him of the sacredness of the earth.
(c) He used it outside.
(d) He lost it.
7. Symbolically, what does it mean when the storm clears?
(a) That good always follows bad.
(b) That there would be no more rain.
(c) That the worst may be over.
(d) That bad things happen to good people.
8. After the family sold the zoo, why did it take a year before they could leave India for Canada?
(a) Pi's mother took that long to get the house and everything ready.
(b) No one wanted to buy the zoo animals.
(c) The paperwork took that long.
(d) No one wanted to buy the zoo.
9. Pi and Mr. Kumar agreed on what?
(a) On politics.
(b) On the sacredness of the zoo.
(c) That all religions were basically the same.
(d) That Pi should spend more time studying.
10. What did Pi plan to do with Richard Parker the night after he finished the raft?
(a) Keep him around for protection.
(b) Kill him and bury him on land.
(c) Get rid of him and have the lifeboat to himself.
(d) Kill him and cast him off onto the raft, adrift in the sea.
11. According to Pi, why will a lion in a zoo attack?
(a) It doesn't like the trainer or zookeeper.
(b) It is hungry.
(c) Its territory is invaded.
(d) It is mean.
12. How did Pi first learn about Islam?
(a) By listening to his parents.
(b) By discovering the Muslim section of his town.
(c) By studying at school.
(d) By talking to his friends.
13. How did Richard Parker end up in the lifeboat with Pi?
(a) He was there before Pi got in.
(b) Pi doesn't know how he got there.
(c) Pi helped him swim to the boat by throwing him a life buoy.
(d) He jumped into the boat from the ship.
14. What did Richard Parker kill while Pi was building the raft?
(a) A rat.
(b) A bird.
(c) A fish.
(d) A hyena.
15. Who were the two men Pi called the "prophets of his youth"?
(a) Satish Kumar, the atheist, and Satish Kumar, the Sufi.
(b) Satish Kumar, the Sufi, and Mamji.
(c) Satish Kumar, the atheist, and Mamji.
(d) Mamji and Pi's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the following is not true about Pi's visit to a Christian church and his meeting with Father Martin?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 12, what do readers learn about the nameless man?
3. Who is Antieji?
4. What is the omega animal?
5. What does the author say was strange about the ecosystem in the lifeboat on the second day?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)