|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Richard Parker end up in the lifeboat with Pi?
(a) Pi helped him swim to the boat by throwing him a life buoy.
(b) He jumped into the boat from the ship.
(c) He was there before Pi got in.
(d) Pi doesn't know how he got there.
2. What separated Pi from the Tiger on the boat?
(a) A floor.
(b) A tarp.
(c) A wall.
(d) A table.
3. What is the omega animal?
(a) The hardest animal to train.
(b) The one with the lowest social standing in their group.
(c) The one with the highest social standing in their group.
(d) The animal that is given the easiest tricks to learn.
4. According to the author, which of the following was a reason why Pi decided to get back into the lifeboat?
(a) There was a shark in the water.
(b) He wanted to get dry.
(c) He was cold and tired.
(d) He knew the tiger would not hurt him.
5. What did Pi do the first day in the life boat?
(a) He kept alert looking for survivors and rescue teams.
(b) He explored the life boat.
(c) He made himself secure.
(d) He helped the animals on board.
6. Which of the following statements is true about Pi's parents' practice of their religion?
(a) Pi's parents practiced their Hindu religion faithfully all the time.
(b) Pi's mother had a Hindu upbringing, but had been schooled as a Presbyterian.
(c) Pi's parents were not very religious.
(d) Pi's father was raised as a Hindu, but had been schooled as a Baptist.
7. How important is religion to Pi?
(a) It is important depending on the circumstances.
(b) It is not important at all.
(c) It is somewhat important.
(d) It is very important.
8. As Pi was learning about Islam, he visited a Muslim shopkeeper. Which of the following statements is true?
(a) Pi bought Muslim prayer beads at the shop.
(b) Pi didn't have dinner with the shopkeeper.
(c) The shopkeeper asked Pi to leave when it was time to pray.
(d) The shopkeeper took Pi to a mosque.
9. Why must a circus lion trainer establish that he is the alpha male with respect to the lion?
(a) All lions want to be dominated.
(b) The trainer must show the lion he is physically stronger.
(c) Only female lions are used in the circus.
(d) The lion must know who is boss, which will make it feel secure.
10. After the hyena killed the zebra, what did the hyena do?
(a) Tried to kill Pi.
(b) Went to sleep.
(c) Killed Orange Juice.
(d) Jumped overboard.
11. Which of the reasons listed below is NOT one of the reasons Pi's father decided to move the family to Canada?
(a) His father wanted to give Pi a broader view of life and religion.
(b) His father hoped to provide a better life for the family in Canada.
(c) His father worried about the political situation in India.
(d) His father thought there would be changes in India because of Mrs. Ghandi.
12. What does Pi lament to the author that he is forgetting?
(a) What his mother looked like.
(b) What Richard Parker looked like.
(c) What his father looked like.
(d) What his brother looked like.
13. Pi did what with the raft after he built it?
(a) Tethered it to the boat.
(b) Set it free into the water.
(c) Used it to build a wall to block Richard Parker's view of him sleeping.
(d) Put it on the dry land to keep it safe.
14. When Pi saw a sea turtle near the boat, what did he do?
(a) Commanded the turtle to go for help.
(b) Watched the turtle until it swam off.
(c) Talked to the turtle.
(d) Got into the water and swam with the turtle.
15. What do Pi's parents think about his being so religious?
(a) They think Pi should choose one religion, whichever one he wants.
(b) They hope Pi's religious fervor is a passing phase.
(c) They just want Pi to be happy.
(d) While they may not believe as Pi does, they encourage him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Pi end up in the lifeboat?
2. In Pi's story, which of these statements is true about the black leopard that escaped from the Zurich Zoo?
3. According to Pi's father, what kind of an environment do animals seek?
4. When did Pi feel that God was very close to him?
5. Why does the author promise the reader a happy ending to Pi's tale?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)