|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the girl come to see the man rather than going home?
(a) He is the only person she can trust anymore.
(b) The thought of going home depresses her.
(c) She never wants to go home again.
(d) None of her family members are still alive.
2. During the argument between Jaromil and the party guest, why do the other guests burst out laughing?
(a) The party guest has picked up Jaromil by his shirt and pants waist.
(b) Jaromil has punched the party guest in the face.
(c) Jaromil has tripped over a coffee table and fallen.
(d) Jaromil has tripped over a coffee table and fallen.
3. How does Jaromil feel after talking to the police about the redhead's brother?
(a) Afraid for the train of events he has started.
(b) Eager to help the state.
(c) Emotionally shaken.
(d) Confident and more decisive.
4. What kind of verbs does Jaromil love?
(a) Complicated verbs related to the emotions.
(b) Verbs that are related to love.
(c) Simple verbs that describe one motion.
(d) Verbs that describe the power of the future.
5. What disguise does Jaromil use for treating the redhead with cruelty?
(a) Concern for their relationship.
(b) Anger at Maman.
(c) Wounded love.
(d) Concern for the girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to one of the party guests, why has Jaromil stopped talking to the artist?
2. What location is Maman most excited to film in?
3. While Jaromil is answering questions about love and socialism, what is he most conscious of?
4. During the filming, how does Maman push Jaromil back into the role of a young child?
5. Why is Jaromil jealous of the redhead?
Short Essay Questions
1. "History does not always make a dramatic entrance, it often seeps through every-day life like dirty dishwater. In our story, History makes its appearance in the guise of underwear" (Part 5, Chapter 8, pg 239). What does this mean in the context of Jaromil's story?
2. When Jaromil is angry at the redhead for being fifteen minutes late, what change ensues in their relationship? How does this mark a turning point in Jaromil's development as a person?
3. How does Jaromil feel while he is visiting the janitor's son at the police station? What does this say about his personal growth?
4. What is Maman's opinion about the redheaded girl? How does her reaction perpetuate the cycle of her own relationship with Jaromil?
5. Near the end of the book, Xavier betrays Jaromil by leaving him behind. What is the significance of this scene?
6. The group of poets, Jaromil among them, is invited to speak at the police academy in the countryside. What is the irony of this situation and what does it say about the ideals they espouse?
7. What does the middle-aged man tell the girl about Jaromil? How is this story the opposite of what Jaromil ever wanted?
8. How is the girl a different person from when she went into the prison? How is she more like Jaromil had been?
9. During the party at the cinematography girl's apartment, how does Jaromil's clothing reflect his state of mind?
10. As it is painfully revealed in Part 5, Chapters 4 - 6, why do Maman and Jaromil struggle to live together? What does this say about their relationship as mother and son?
This section contains 1,868 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)