|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maman weep as the artist makes love to her?
(a) She is sad that she will never marry him.
(b) She knows that she is nothing more than the canvas for his ideas.
(c) She is finally ashamed of the affair.
(d) She equates him to the Apollo statue, which she had wanted to be the model of Jaromil's personality.
2. Why does the brunette leave Prague?
(a) She is getting married.
(b) She is involved in underground activities and must flee.
(c) She is afraid of rioting in the city.
(d) She does not want to face Jaromil.
3. In confiding to Jaromil, what does Maman say is her greatest love?
(b) Family life and stability.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her husband.
4. In looking at the Apollo statue, what does Maman hope?
(a) That her son will inherit the god's divine attributes.
(b) That Apollo will protect her son from the world.
(c) That her son will resemble the god rather than his human father.
(d) That the gods will treat her child favorably.
5. What is unusual about Xavier's presence at the blond girl's funeral?
(a) He attended the funeral although he did not truly love her.
(b) He is not at all sad that she died.
(c) He is the only one who knows what caused her death.
(d) He knows nearly half of the other mourners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Maman sees her son's physicality?
2. How does Maman shame Jaromil in front of her guests?
3. What justification does Maman give herself for her initial infidelity?
4. Why does Jaromil not speak to the cashier when she leaves the store?
5. What is Maman's attitude about her affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the debate in Part 3, Chapter 15, what arguments does Jaromil make about progress? Given his own life, how are these views ironic?
2. Why is Jaromil thrilled at the thought of catching Magda, the family maid, in the bathtub? What does this say about his sexual development?
3. Why is Maman angry at Jaromil because of her love life? Is her anger justified?
4. "For real life is elsewhere. The students are pulling up cobblestones, overturning cars, making barricades; their entrance into the world is noise and magnificent, illuminated by flames and glorified by explosions of tear gar grenades" (Part 4, pg 175). What does this mean in the context of Jaromil's life?
5. What does Xavier notice most about the woman in the apartment? How does the woman use her eyes?
6. Why does Xavier leave the woman behind at the end of Part 2?
7. What does the artist want most of all for Maman? Why is this difficult for her?
8. Throughout the second half of Part 3, what do Jaromil and the university girl think about their love? What impression does their opinion give to the reader?
9. "It was sad, but beautiful, too: for a moment, Jaromil lost the feeling of being a mere child" (Part 3, Chapter 25, pg 150). What causes this moment? Will it last?
10. As Jaromil reaches adolescence, why is manhood so important to him?
This section contains 1,880 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)