|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jaromil write in his diary about the night he was supposed to lose his virginity?
(a) Lots of exclamation marks.
(b) A detailed account of his emotional state.
(c) Several paragraphs about the essence of becoming a man.
(d) A thorough description of the university girl.
2. What is the redhead's perception of Jaromil's interest in her?
(a) He has been interested in her a long time and used to wait for her outside the store.
(b) He is interested in her only because the brunette is gone.
(c) It is his destiny to be with her.
(d) He has been interested in her ever since she caught him staring in her window.
3. What distinctive piece of clothing does the old woman wear when she dances with Xavier?
(a) A dark blue dress.
(b) A yellow dress.
(c) A dark red sweater.
(d) A purple blouse.
4. Why does Maman push away her husband's hand when he wants to make love?
(a) She wants him to apologize for humiliating her.
(b) She wants to punish him for humiliating her.
(c) She suspects that he was cheating.
(d) She knows that she no longer loves him.
5. Why does Jaromil walk through the world with a feeling of guilt?
(a) Because he leaves Maman at home alone.
(b) Because he is not loyal to the principles that his father died for.
(c) Because he betrayed the only love of his life.
(d) Because he is not living life to the fullest.
6. After the debate in the artist's apartment, how does Jaromil know he is no longer welcome there?
(a) The artist gives him a stern look rather than a verbal response.
(b) The artist's guests ignore Jaromil and resume their conversation.
(c) The artist asks him not to come back.
(d) The artist locks the door behind him when he leaves.
7. How does the artist show Maman that he is not interested in a relationship with her?
(a) Tells her everything about his girlfriend.
(b) Treats her like a friend when she goes to his apartment.
(c) Shows her new paintings of his girlfriend.
(d) Tells her he does not want to see her again.
8. Part 4, Chapter 1 begins with an anecdote about which poet?
9. According to the poet's father, where was the poet conceived?
(a) In the mother's apartment.
(b) In the apartment of his colleague.
(c) In the countryside near Prague.
(d) On a park bench.
10. Why does Jaromil wait to show his poetry to the university girl?
(a) Maman has told him none of it is good enough to show to the girl.
(b) He wants to show it to her when it's published.
(c) He wants to show her the long poem when it is finished.
(d) He hopes she will show him some of her art first.
11. What does Jaromil think is the quintessential surrealist object?
(a) The statue of Apollo.
(b) The chair leg if seen by itself.
(c) The telephone receiver with the dangling cord.
(d) His mother's light blue perfume bottle.
12. What is the highest point of happiness which Jaromil reaches so far in his life?
(a) His father's memorial service as a war hero.
(b) A girl resting her head on his shoulder.
(c) The reconciliation with his mother after their fight.
(d) Sleeping with the girl he met at dancing class.
13. What is Maman's attitude about her affair?
(a) She is hoping to leave her husband for the artist.
(b) She does not love the artist but is afraid that if she leaves him, he will refuse to teach Jaromil.
(c) She does not love the artist but sees the affair as something beautiful.
(d) She loves the artist and sees the affair as something beautiful.
14. Why does Maman feel guilty about her husband's death?
(a) She does not miss him because she has Jaromil.
(b) She had been unfaithful to him while he was involved in the underground mission.
(c) The news of his death had not made her sad.
(d) She had inadvertently caused his death.
15. Why does the artist begin loaning books to Jaromil?
(a) He wants Jaromil to think that he is very smart.
(b) So that Maman will be unafraid to read them.
(c) So that Jaromil will study in his spare time.
(d) He wants to expand Jaromil's knowledge of art.
Short Answer Questions
1. In confiding to Jaromil, what does Maman say is her greatest love?
2. What does the theme of the long poem reveal about Jaromil's thoughts?
3. What is the artist's opinion about Jaromil's drawings of headless women?
4. As the story reveals, what is in store for the famous poet?
5. Where does Jaromil show off opinions about education which he heard from his grandfather?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)