|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 7: The Poet Dies, pp. 289-307.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Just outside the prison, why does the girl hate to see the horses and riders?
(a) She has always been afraid of horses.
(b) She thinks they are out to capture people, possibly her.
(c) She takes it as a bad omen.
(d) She feels far below them and pitiful by comparison.
2. After the debate in the artist's apartment, how does Jaromil know he is no longer welcome there?
(a) The artist locks the door behind him when he leaves.
(b) The artist asks him not to come back.
(c) The artist gives him a stern look rather than a verbal response.
(d) The artist's guests ignore Jaromil and resume their conversation.
3. Why does the artist paint two X's on Maman's face?
(a) To illustrate his secret hatred of women.
(b) So that her original existence means nothing.
(c) To show his cancellation of humanity.
(d) So that he can recreate her.
4. Why do Jaromil's drawings favor dogs?
(a) He cannot draw any other animal.
(b) He loves dogs better than any other animal.
(c) He sees dogs as the symbol of virtue and natural goodness.
(d) He draws dogs best.
5. At the beginning of Part 6, Chapter 1, what does Kundera do with the story?
(a) Begins to intersperse his prose with lots of poetry.
(b) Moves the point of observation to another character.
(c) Makes Maman the main character of the story.
(d) Dismisses Jaromil as an unimportant character.
Short Answer Questions
1. What classic womanly question does the university girl ask Jaromil?
2. What does Maman do with the books that the artist loans her?
3. What can only a true poet know?
4. What does the theme of the long poem reveal about Jaromil's thoughts?
5. Why does the man work in a factory?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)