|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5: Chaps. 4-6, pp. 204-225.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Jaromil's poems so often include death?
(a) He wants to be absorbed in something absolute and immense.
(b) A violent streak is developing as he is treated cruelly by the world.
(c) He is gradually becoming suicidal.
(d) Death is the only thing he does not yet understand
2. How is the university girl different from any other girl Jaromil has known?
(a) She only lets him kiss her when no one else is around.
(b) She gives him complete liberty with her body.
(c) She does not want him to meet her family.
(d) She barely lets him touch her.
3. Why does Maman welcome her pregnancy?
(a) She has always wanted to be a mother.
(b) She sees the family as a trio filling the universe.
(c) She sees it as the final step of independence from her parents.
(d) She thinks perhaps her husband will truly love her.
4. What classic womanly question does the university girl ask Jaromil?
(a) How many kids he wants.
(b) If she looks better clothed or unclothed.
(c) If she looks fat in her dress.
(d) If he will love her forever.
5. What is the primary reason that Xavier runs into danger ahead of his comrades?
(a) He wants to make up for losing the list that they wanted.
(b) He wants to show them that he is a man and worthy of their friendship.
(c) He would rather die in battle as die an old man.
(d) He wants to live in the exciting aura of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the artist show Maman that he is not interested in a relationship with her?
2. What does Jaromil draw during his first lesson in the artist's studio?
3. Part 4, Chapter 1 begins with an anecdote about which poet?
4. In the poem "Epitaph," how does Jaromil wish to die?
5. What is the artist's opinion about Jaromil's drawings of headless women?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)