|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5: Chaps. 4-6, pp. 204-225.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Maman's attitude about her affair?
(a) She does not love the artist but is afraid that if she leaves him, he will refuse to teach Jaromil.
(b) She loves the artist and sees the affair as something beautiful.
(c) She does not love the artist but sees the affair as something beautiful.
(d) She is hoping to leave her husband for the artist.
2. According to the janitor's son, why do policemen like to read poetry?
(a) They are proving that they are not like the cutthroat policemen of the former regime.
(b) They monitor it to make sure the poets aren't writing anything against the state.
(c) They want to be connected to the common people.
(d) They enjoy something delicate after a hard day's work.
3. In looking at the Apollo statue, what does Maman hope?
(a) That the gods will treat her child favorably.
(b) That her son will resemble the god rather than his human father.
(c) That her son will inherit the god's divine attributes.
(d) That Apollo will protect her son from the world.
4. Why does Jaromil imitate his peers' actions and speech as if he's in a mirror?
(a) He is a year older than they are.
(b) He has very low self-esteem.
(c) He does not know how to be his own person.
(d) He is a year younger than they are.
5. Why does Jaromil write so many poems about women's bodies?
(a) He wants to immortalize the body of his first lover.
(b) He is obsessed with how women's bodies look.
(c) The body is beyond the reach of his understanding.
(d) He wants to establish himself as a romantic poet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pleased the artist the most about Jaromil's drawings?
2. Why do Jaromil's drawings favor dogs?
3. In the philosophy auditorium, what is the subject of the first poem recited?
4. Why does Jaromil not speak to the cashier when she leaves the store?
5. With whom does the famous poet appear on the street?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)