|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4: The Poet on the Run, pp. 161-181.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the artist show Maman that he is not interested in a relationship with her?
(a) Treats her like a friend when she goes to his apartment.
(b) Tells her he does not want to see her again.
(c) Tells her everything about his girlfriend.
(d) Shows her new paintings of his girlfriend.
2. What distinctive piece of clothing does the old woman wear when she dances with Xavier?
(a) A purple blouse.
(b) A yellow dress.
(c) A dark red sweater.
(d) A dark blue dress.
3. What night does Magda take her bath?
4. According to Kundera, what is "the first precondition of freedom" (Part III, Chapter 18, pg 121)?
(a) Losing parents in death.
(b) Never having children.
(c) Being able to love without guilt.
(d) Never having parents.
5. In desperation for a response, what does Jaromil mail to the famous poet?
(a) A twenty-page letter.
(b) His own long poem written in the poet's most recent book.
(c) A grey striped dove.
(d) Twenty telephone receivers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maman feel guilty about her husband's death?
2. As the story reveals, what is in store for the famous poet?
3. What does the theme of the long poem reveal about Jaromil's thoughts?
4. Who or what is the real source of Jaromil's poetic inspiration?
5. What are the four students singing about while on the train?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)