|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4: The Poet on the Run, pp. 161-181.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jaromil's criterion for a true poem?
(a) It must have an established form.
(b) It must be read by someone other than the author.
(c) It must be able to stand apart from other poems.
(d) It must sound poetic when it is recited.
2. What distinctive piece of clothing does the old woman wear when she dances with Xavier?
(a) A dark red sweater.
(b) A dark blue dress.
(c) A yellow dress.
(d) A purple blouse.
3. How is the university girl different from any other girl Jaromil has known?
(a) She gives him complete liberty with her body.
(b) She does not want him to meet her family.
(c) She barely lets him touch her.
(d) She only lets him kiss her when no one else is around.
4. During the Marxist debate which Jaromil attends, how does one person cause a distraction?
(a) Reading random sections of Marx's writing.
(b) Periodically sniffing a wilted lily.
(c) Elbowing the girl next to him whenever the speaker makes a good point.
(d) Tapping his foot against his chair leg.
5. Why does Maman take her husband's picture off the wall?
(a) He had been complying with the Communist takeover.
(b) She fell in love with someone else.
(c) He had not been involved in the underground resistance.
(d) He had been having an affair with a Jewish girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea about poetry does the artist's chastisement cause in Jaromil's mind?
2. Why does Xavier leave the beautiful woman?
3. What does Xavier take as an invitation to enter the house?
4. What does Jaromil write in his diary about the night he was supposed to lose his virginity?
5. What is the silver-haired poet's attitude toward the poetry reading in the auditorium?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)