|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Xavier, pp. 65-89.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maman weep as the artist makes love to her?
(a) She is sad that she will never marry him.
(b) She equates him to the Apollo statue, which she had wanted to be the model of Jaromil's personality.
(c) She knows that she is nothing more than the canvas for his ideas.
(d) She is finally ashamed of the affair.
2. What is the first time Jaromil's words save him from punishment?
(a) When he yelled in a trochee speech pattern.
(b) When he began reciting the encyclopedia.
(c) When he used adult vocabulary at a young age.
(d) When his insult was a rhyme.
3. What does Xavier do with the husband after his presence is discovered?
(a) Beats him up so that he loses consciousness.
(b) Wrestles the husband to the ground and ties his hands.
(c) Pushes the husband out the three-story window.
(d) Pushes the husband into the wardrobe and locks it.
4. Why does Maman push away her husband's hand when he wants to make love?
(a) She wants him to apologize for humiliating her.
(b) She suspects that he was cheating.
(c) She knows that she no longer loves him.
(d) She wants to punish him for humiliating her.
5. Where does Jaromil show off opinions about education which he heard from his grandfather?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) During school.
(c) At the dentist's office.
(d) At the doctor's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is the real source of Jaromil's poetic inspiration?
2. Why does the blond girl wear a beautiful white dress to the dance hall?
3. What is unusual about Xavier's presence at the blond girl's funeral?
4. Why do Jaromil's drawings favor dogs?
5. What is the primary reason that Xavier runs into danger ahead of his comrades?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)