|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Xavier, pp. 65-89.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Jaromil's parents redecorate his room?
(a) The day after his grandpa's funeral.
(b) The night before his fifth birthday.
(c) The day before Christmas when he is six.
(d) The night before his sixth birthday.
2. Why does Xavier leave the beautiful woman?
(a) He loves her but not enough to fight her husband for her.
(b) He no longer loves her.
(c) The world becomes even more beautiful because it came at the cost of her love.
(d) His life is much more difficult than she can ever bear.
3. Why does the blond girl wear a beautiful white dress to the dance hall?
(a) She wants to attract attention from the boys around her.
(b) She wants Xavier to notice her.
(c) She wants to personify the snow.
(d) It is her wedding dress.
4. How does Maman view her love for the young engineer?
(a) As the preface for the love for her child.
(b) As her life's consuming passion.
(c) As a revolt against her parents' prosaic lives.
(d) As a passing fling.
5. Why does the artist begin loaning books to Jaromil?
(a) So that Maman will be unafraid to read them.
(b) He wants Jaromil to think that he is very smart.
(c) So that Jaromil will study in his spare time.
(d) He wants to expand Jaromil's knowledge of art.
Short Answer Questions
1. What justification does Maman give herself for her initial infidelity?
2. According to the poet's father, where was the poet conceived?
3. What is Maman's attitude about her affair?
4. What is Jaromil's criterion for a true poem?
5. What is Xavier's first impression of the woman in the house?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)