|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Xavier, pp. 65-89.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Xavier leave the beautiful woman?
(a) He no longer loves her.
(b) He loves her but not enough to fight her husband for her.
(c) The world becomes even more beautiful because it came at the cost of her love.
(d) His life is much more difficult than she can ever bear.
2. What do Jaromil's classmates find most irritating about him?
(a) Mother love clings to everything he has.
(b) He has more money than they do.
(c) He received more Christmas presents than any of them did.
(d) He does not join in any of their games.
3. On the train, why does Xavier avoid his Latin professor?
(a) He thinks the Latin professor will yell at him for missing class.
(b) He failed Latin class the first time he took it.
(c) He has not been to class in a long time.
(d) His Latin professor does not like him.
4. What is Maman's attitude about her affair?
(a) She does not love the artist but is afraid that if she leaves him, he will refuse to teach Jaromil.
(b) She loves the artist and sees the affair as something beautiful.
(c) She is hoping to leave her husband for the artist.
(d) She does not love the artist but sees the affair as something beautiful.
5. How does Maman view her love for the young engineer?
(a) As a revolt against her parents' prosaic lives.
(b) As the preface for the love for her child.
(c) As her life's consuming passion.
(d) As a passing fling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Xavier stay in the woman's room when her husband comes home?
2. Why does Maman push away her husband's hand when he wants to make love?
3. While kissing the old woman, why does Xavier turn on the light?
4. How does Xavier use sleep?
5. In confiding to Jaromil, what does Maman say is her greatest love?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)