|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5: Chaps. 9-11, pp. 242-266.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the janitor's son, why do policemen like to read poetry?
(a) They want to be connected to the common people.
(b) They monitor it to make sure the poets aren't writing anything against the state.
(c) They are proving that they are not like the cutthroat policemen of the former regime.
(d) They enjoy something delicate after a hard day's work.
2. How does the film begin?
(a) With Maman recounting childhood memories with Jaromil.
(b) With Jaromil reciting his most famous poem.
(c) With pictures of Jaromil as a child.
(d) With a home recording of Jaromil as a child.
3. What does Jaromil hang on the wall in his room?
(a) A portrait of his father.
(b) A portrait of Karl Marx.
(c) His parents' wedding picture.
(d) A portrait of his mother.
4. Why does the lyrical poet make his poetry striking?
(a) His life is uneventful.
(b) He speaks out of powerful places in History.
(c) Only striking poetry will be accepted by the readers.
(d) His subject matter demands a strong voice.
5. What happens as Maman sees her son's physicality?
(a) She begins to accept her own physicality.
(b) She becomes even more revolted by physicality.
(c) She begins to question her sexuality.
(d) Her tenderness increases.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the university girl different from any other girl Jaromil has known?
2. During the filming, how does Maman push Jaromil back into the role of a young child?
3. What pleased the artist the most about Jaromil's drawings?
4. Why does Maman not want to go to the lake on vacation?
5. Why had Jaromil not known about the film about his life?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)