|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5: Chaps. 9-11, pp. 242-266.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Xavier's presence at the blond girl's funeral?
(a) He attended the funeral although he did not truly love her.
(b) He is not at all sad that she died.
(c) He knows nearly half of the other mourners.
(d) He is the only one who knows what caused her death.
2. When Maman returns home early one evening while the redhead is visiting, what does she pretend is happening?
(a) The redhead is having cramps and needs her help.
(b) She is having a heart attack in the kitchen.
(c) Jaromil is disobeying a house rule and the redhead must leave.
(d) She is sick and needs Jaromil to take care of her.
3. Why does Jaromil not react to the words his mother painted for his room redecoration?
(a) He does not recognize that the words are his.
(b) He is embarrassed to show how proud he is of them.
(c) He is ashamed that she used his own words.
(d) He is amazed that his words have their own significance.
4. Why does the brunette leave Prague?
(a) She is afraid of rioting in the city.
(b) She is getting married.
(c) She does not want to face Jaromil.
(d) She is involved in underground activities and must flee.
5. Where does Xavier usually go when he skips school?
(a) The Andrews Bridge.
(b) The Charles Bridge.
(c) To his girlfriend's house.
(d) The yellow house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the redhead's reaction to Jaromil's poetry printed in the newspaper?
2. Why is the famous poet booed by the audience after he reads a poem?
3. In confiding to Jaromil, what does Maman say is her greatest love?
4. How does Maman view her love for the young engineer?
5. On the train, why does Xavier avoid his Latin professor?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)