|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5: Chaps. 9-11, pp. 242-266.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Jaromil poetically compare Magda?
(a) Water and sorrow.
(b) Ice and cruelty.
(c) Earth and stability.
(d) Fire and passion.
2. Where does Jaromil show off opinions about education which he heard from his grandfather?
(a) At the dentist's office.
(b) At the doctor's office.
(c) At a friend's house.
(d) During school.
3. What is the first time Jaromil's words save him from punishment?
(a) When he yelled in a trochee speech pattern.
(b) When he began reciting the encyclopedia.
(c) When he used adult vocabulary at a young age.
(d) When his insult was a rhyme.
4. Why does Jaromil agree to read in the presentation of poets?
(a) He does not want to make the janitor's son angry.
(b) He thinks it will finally bring him recognition as a poet.
(c) He wants to prove that he believes the ideals of communism.
(d) He will become part of the common people since the literary community rejected him.
5. What is the redhead's perception of Jaromil's interest in her?
(a) He has been interested in her a long time and used to wait for her outside the store.
(b) He has been interested in her ever since she caught him staring in her window.
(c) It is his destiny to be with her.
(d) He is interested in her only because the brunette is gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the poet's father, where was the poet conceived?
2. What can only a true poet know?
3. How does the old poet describe the cinematographer and Jaromil?
4. Why is 1949 an interesting year for Czech youth?
5. What disguise does Jaromil use for treating the redhead with cruelty?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)