|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: The Poet Masturbates, Chaps. 1-14, pp.93-114.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kundera, what is "tenderness"?
(a) Treating the woman like a child, for fear of consequences.
(b) The proper response of a parent to the child.
(c) The sheltering of a child so that he does not mature.
(d) The affection of the woman for her lover.
2. Why does Xavier constantly arrive late, no matter where he's going?
(a) He has always had trouble being punctual.
(b) He prefers to tempt fate by not scheduling things very well.
(c) He feels that a scheduled life is boring and unsurprising.
(d) His watch is always slow.
3. What is Xavier's first impression of the woman in the house?
4. On the train, why does Xavier avoid his Latin professor?
(a) He has not been to class in a long time.
(b) He failed Latin class the first time he took it.
(c) His Latin professor does not like him.
(d) He thinks the Latin professor will yell at him for missing class.
5. What is Maman's attitude about her affair?
(a) She loves the artist and sees the affair as something beautiful.
(b) She does not love the artist but sees the affair as something beautiful.
(c) She does not love the artist but is afraid that if she leaves him, he will refuse to teach Jaromil.
(d) She is hoping to leave her husband for the artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maman do with the books that the artist loans her?
2. What does Xavier take as an invitation to enter the house?
3. Why does Maman not want to go to the lake on vacation?
4. Jaromil agonizes over his hair. What kind of hair does he have?
5. What happens as Maman sees her son's physicality?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)