|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: The Poet Masturbates, Chaps. 1-14, pp.93-114.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maman do with the books that the artist loans her?
(a) Reads them openly as a sign of her new love.
(b) Asks Jaromil to read them so she doesn't have to.
(c) Reads them secretly for fear that Jaromil will recognize them.
(d) Does not read them.
2. Why does Jaromil not react to the words his mother painted for his room redecoration?
(a) He is embarrassed to show how proud he is of them.
(b) He does not recognize that the words are his.
(c) He is amazed that his words have their own significance.
(d) He is ashamed that she used his own words.
3. What is Jaromil's criterion for a true poem?
(a) It must be able to stand apart from other poems.
(b) It must be read by someone other than the author.
(c) It must have an established form.
(d) It must sound poetic when it is recited.
4. On the train, why does Xavier avoid his Latin professor?
(a) He has not been to class in a long time.
(b) He thinks the Latin professor will yell at him for missing class.
(c) His Latin professor does not like him.
(d) He failed Latin class the first time he took it.
5. How do Jaromil and Maman reach the lake resort?
(a) By walking.
(b) By train and buggy.
(c) By train.
(d) By car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xavier find most compelling about the woman in the house?
2. What is the artist's opinion about Jaromil's drawings of headless women?
3. Jaromil agonizes over his hair. What kind of hair does he have?
4. Why does Xavier constantly arrive late, no matter where he's going?
5. What is the highest point of happiness which Jaromil reaches so far in his life?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)