|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rosaura and her companion hear?
2. When Rosaura refuses to drop the matter of her rape, what does Clotaldo do?
3. What is Segismundo's reaction when Estrella walks in?
4. Who is the man who has dishonored Rosaura?
5. What do the mountainous Polish countryside partially obscure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Segismundo doing in this first scene?
2. How do Estrella and Astolfo act when the Basilio appears?
3. Because of some "portent" Basilio reads in the stars at his son's birth, he locks up his son, Segismundo, while still a baby and is determine to keep him confined for the rest of Segismundo's life. Is this a wise decision?
4. What happens when Clotaldo spies the sword which Rosaura is wearing?
5. Explain Clotaldo actions in regard to Segismundo at the beginning of this act.
6. Do you believe Rosaura should demand justice from the man who essentially rules the Dukedom in which she lives, or should she chalk the situation up to experience and get on with her life, as is later suggested by Caltalfo.
7. How does Basilio know the kind of ruler Segismundo would be?
8. Who has overheard Segismundo and what does this person do upon hearing Segismundo threaten murder?
9. What is Basilio's response to hearing about why Rosaura and Clarnn are brought before him in chains?
10. Of course, this type of scenario is quite unlikely to occur in one's experience today; however, what do you imagine you would think of finding a man in the state in which Segismundo is and how do you think you would respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 3, Scene 1, Segismundo perpetuates an act of clemency to Clotaldo, who has in the service of the king, wronged Segismundo over the years.
1. Do you believe you would have granted Clotaldo clemency had he participated in your imprisonment?
2. Is there a time you have, against the advice of others or your inclination, forgiven someone for a grievous wrong that person committed against you? How did you feel afterward? Were you glad to have forgiven that person?
3. Do acts of clemency from a king or president or ruler serve the greater good? Explain your answer and give an example, either real or hypothetical.
4. Just before leaving office, the president of the United States often grants pardons to numerous felons. Do you believe this power to grant pardons by the president is right? Does it benefit the nation or just the person receiving the pardon?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options below and write an essay using details and examples from the play:
1. Almost all fiction contains some form of the idea of good versus evil. Take three characters and explain why they are good, evil, or a mixture and provide examples from the book
2. How would the story have changed if Clotaldo had revealed himself as Rosaura's father at the very beginning of the play? Take two scenes where Clotaldo and Rosaura appear and rewrite them as if Rosaura knows Clotaldo is her father.
3. Most fiction contains some examples of foreshadowing. Carefully re-read the play and list five places you believe foreshadow a future event in the play. Give details and explain why you chose each instance.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 3, Scene 2, it is apparent that some sort of battle is going to take place between the lawful holders of power (King Basilio, Asolfo and Estrella) and Segismundo. Answer the following questions in essay form, using details and examples from the book and your own life.
1. If you were a noble in Poland during this situation, with whom would you side--King Basilio or Segismundo? Explain your answer.
2. How can this conflict can be settled without bloodshed?
3. Who do you believe should inherit the throne from King Basilio? Explain why you believe so.
4. If Segismundo were defeated, what do you think the King would do to him? What would you do to Segismundo were you the king if he were defeated in battle?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)