|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Segismundo's guards wear?
2. With whom does Clotaldo probably sympathize?
3. What does Basilio do to Rosaura and Clarnn?
4. What has Clotaldo concocted?
5. What has Segismundo done in response to Basilio's announcement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Basilio's response to Clotaldo's actions and how part of Basilio's statement is a theme of the play.
2. What is Rosaura's response upon hearing Segismundo explain his predicament?
3. What is Segismundo doing in this first scene?
4. What is Basilio's decision regarding who the heir is to the throne?
5. Briefly summarize Rosaura's actions after this pardon and Clotaldo's response.
6. Are Segismundo's actions surprising?
7. Of course, this type of scenario is quite unlikely to occur in one's experience today; however, what do you imagine you would think of finding a man in the state in which Segismundo is and how do you think you would respond?
8. Why do you think Astolfo praises Estrella's physical beauty?
9. What is Estrella's response to Astolfo's protestations of love and desire for marriage?
10. How likely is it that Segismundo could assume the throne and be a good, wise ruler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options below and write an essay using details and examples from the play:
1. Almost all fiction contains some form of the idea of good versus evil. Take three characters and explain why they are good, evil, or a mixture and provide examples from the book
2. How would the story have changed if Clotaldo had revealed himself as Rosaura's father at the very beginning of the play? Take two scenes where Clotaldo and Rosaura appear and rewrite them as if Rosaura knows Clotaldo is her father.
3. Most fiction contains some examples of foreshadowing. Carefully re-read the play and list five places you believe foreshadow a future event in the play. Give details and explain why you chose each instance.
Essay Topic 2
In several scenes in the play, Clotaldo is noted as being ever loyal to the king, willing to follow the king's orders not matter the cost.
1. Do you believe there is ever a justifiable reason to disobey a law?
2. Would you disobey a law if you believe it to be immoral even if you knew you would suffer severe consequences? Why or why not?
3. In the military, obeying orders is required, else one sits for a court-martial; however, one is obligated to disobey an order if the order is not lawful. Do you believe you would disobey an order if told to do something illegal or immoral even if you were uncertain if your actions would be condoned as correct? Discuss thoroughly, giving a hypothetical example.
Essay Topic 3
When King Basilio enters in Act 1, Scene 2, one of the topics upon which he expounds is that of Astrology.
Write an essay answering the following questions:
1. Do you believe astrology is a valid way to plan one's day/life?
2. How often do you read your daily astrological prediction and would you alter your plans based upon the daily chart? Why or why not.
3. If astrology were proven to be true and accurate, do you believe you could change your fate as predicted by the stars? How would you do so?
4. If science proved astrology to absolutely false, would you still read your daily advice from the astrology column in the newspaper? Why or why not. If you do not read the astrology column, why not?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)