|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Segismundo handle being addressed as Prince?
(a) He calls them liars and demands they leave.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He faints.
(d) He is haughty.
2. What could be said of Rosaura by her statements at the end of this scene?
(a) That she blames everyone for not helping her.
(b) That she is so discouraged, she's leaving for Muscovy immediately.
(c) That she is taking charge of her own destiny.
(d) That she realizes that she was wrong to be so concerned with her honor.
3. Where does Astolfo go?
(a) To the tower to intercept and kill Segismundo.
(b) To his room to pack and flee the riots.
(c) To the site of the military action.
(d) To Estrella's room to offer her some romantic poetry.
4. What is a predominant characteristic of Rosuara?
5. Who is probably relieved that Segismundo has been returned to the tower in disgrace?
(d) Astolfo and Estrella.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Clotaldo ever loyal?
2. What may be foreshadowed about Segismundo's future behavior in this scene?
3. With what does the rebellion against the king begin?
4. How could Segismundo's status be described at the end of this scene?
5. What might the idea of using a dream to convince Segismundo he has never left his cell be considered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clotaldo say to Rosaura and is this a reasonable response?
2. How does Clotaldo's waffling about this issue demonstrate the extent of the patriarchal culture in which he lives?
3. Why has Clotaldo returned to the palace in such haste?
4. Does it seem odd that Clarnn is cast into prison even though several servants assisted the process of getting Segismundo back to the prison tower?
5. What does Segismundo do to Clotaldo?
6. About what does Rosaura speak to Clotaldo?
7. Why have the soldiers come to the tower prison?
8. What foreshadows a possible positive ending to what could be a bloody civil war?
9. How do Clotaldo's actions in this scene give the audience a glimpse into a possible positive characteristic of the man?
10. What is happening to Segismundo when this scene opens?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)