|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon exploring, what does Rosaura find?
(a) The road to Warsaw.
(b) Segismundo in chains in a tower.
(c) A knight's rusted sword.
(d) A peasant's cottage to stay in for the night.
2. Who is the son of the current elderly king of Poland?
3. How does Rosaura feel about Segismundo's revelations?
(d) Pity and astonishment.
4. If he is returned to the tower, what will Clotaldo tell him?
(a) That his experience was real, but he behaved too badly to live out of the tower.
(b) That his father is the king and has rejected Segismundo.
(c) That his experience in the palace was a dream.
(d) That he is a monster and will die the next day.
5. Where does this scene open?
(a) At Clotaldo's favorite Inn.
(b) A room in the royal palace.
(c) Back at the prison tower.
(d) In Moscovy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Clotaldo's long-ago sexual partner?
2. What do Segismundo's guards wear?
3. What does Clotaldo tell Segismundo?
4. What alias is Rosaura using?
5. Why does Rosaura chase the person who is the answer to question #1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways Segismundo demonstrates his unsuitability for the throne?
2. Because of some "portent" Basilio reads in the stars at his son's birth, he locks up his son, Segismundo, while still a baby and is determine to keep him confined for the rest of Segismundo's life. Is this a wise decision?
3. Explain Basilio's response to Clotaldo's actions and how part of Basilio's statement is a theme of the play.
4. What happens when Clotaldo spies the sword which Rosaura is wearing?
5. How does Segismundo's state of mind change from wonder to rage?
6. Do you believe Rosaura should demand justice from the man who essentially rules the Dukedom in which she lives, or should she chalk the situation up to experience and get on with her life, as is later suggested by Caltalfo.
7. Of course, this type of scenario is quite unlikely to occur in one's experience today; however, what do you imagine you would think of finding a man in the state in which Segismundo is and how do you think you would respond?
8. What is Estrella's response to Astolfo's protestations of love and desire for marriage?
9. How likely is it that Segismundo could assume the throne and be a good, wise ruler?
10. Briefly summarize Rosaura's actions after this pardon and Clotaldo's response.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)