|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two characters are talking together?
(a) Clarnn and Rosaura.
(b) Clotaldo and Basilio.
(c) Estrella and Astrea.
(d) Basilio and Astolfo.
2. By allowing Caltaldo to leave, what does Segismundo demonstrate?
(a) That he is probably going to have Caltaldo ambushed and killed.
(b) That he will do right now matter what.
(c) That he never was a bad person.
(d) That he loves Caltaldo like a father.
3. Where does Segismundo go at the end of this scene?
(a) Back into his cell.
(b) To the palace.
(c) Off with the soldiers.
(d) To Muscovy.
4. Who is probably relieved that Segismundo has been returned to the tower in disgrace?
(d) Astolfo and Estrella.
5. Who enters the prison tower?
6. What might the idea of using a dream to convince Segismundo he has never left his cell be considered?
(a) A fairly logical explanation.
(b) A plot contrivance.
(c) Segismundo really isn't convinced.
(d) A lack of imagination.
7. Up to this scene by whom has Segismundo been controlled?
8. Who begs the king to intervene in the riots?
9. How is Clarnn addressed?
10. What does Clotaldo do upon leaving the tower?
(a) Flees to Basilio to inform him of the new developments.
(b) Kills himself.
(c) Flees to Muscovy.
(d) Challenges Astolfo to a dual for Rosaura's honor.
11. What characteristic of Rosaura's might prove a weakness?
(a) Her single mindedness.
(b) Her disloyalty.
(c) Her timidity.
(d) Her charisma.
12. What is likely to happen given that the story is incomplete and the foreshadowing that has taken place up to this point?
(a) Segismundo will commit suicide.
(b) Segismundo will kill his father.
(c) Segismundo will escape from the tower.
(d) Segismundo will marry Astrea.
13. What does Segismundo do to Clotaldo instead of the action suggested in question #119?
(a) Runs him through with a sword himself.
(b) Hugs him and says he forgives him.
(c) Chains him in the prison in place of Segismundo.
(d) Dismisses him and sends him to serve Basilio.
14. When Rosaura speaks at length about honor, how does Clotaldo respond?
(a) He slaps Rosaura for being so pig-headed.
(b) He is confounded by her brilliance.
(c) A banal trestise on the need for loyalty to one's superiors.
(d) Total agreement.
15. What is the dominant tension in this scene?
(a) Between the "old" Segismundo and the "new" one.
(b) Between Clarnn and the soldiers.
(c) There is no real tension in this scene.
(d) Between Astolfo and Segismundo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did they get Segismundo back to his cell in the tower?
2. What could be said of Rosaura by her statements at the end of this scene?
3. What is another thing that Segismundo demonstrates by allowing Caltaldo to leave?
4. What did Basilio proclaim?
5. Why is Clotaldo torn about helping Rosaura?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)