|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes a white bust of whom in the library of their home in “The Wife’s Story”?
2. The narrator describes “Jacky’s rough voice” as being like what in “The Wife’s Story”?
3. How long after her marriage does the narrator of “The Wife’s Story” say she and her husband moved?
4. What does the narrator say her husband bought after their marriage, “thinking to please me,” in “The Wife’s Story”?
5. The narrator states in “Anne” that Mrs. Palmer once went all the way to Philadelphia to hear an Italian stroller named what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Palmer’s relationship to Anne in “Anne”?
2. How does the plot of “Anne” relate to the life of author Rebecca Harding Davis?
3. What does Hester discover about her husband after she’s left him in “The Wife’s Story”?
4. How would you describe the character of Hester in “The Wife’s Story”? What information is established about Hester in the opening of the story?
5. What does the narrator note about the character of Mrs. Palmer in the ending of “Anne”?
6. What “big decision” does Mrs. Palmer make in “Anne”? Why?
7. What information does Jacky relate to Hester regarding Dr. Manning’s first wife in “The Wife’s Story”?
8. When and why did Hester’s marriage begin to change in “The Wife’s Story”?
9. What happens to Mrs. Palmer in the denouement of “Anne”?
10. Where does Mrs. Palmer travel in “Anne”? How does she fund her travels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the trial and sentencing of Hugh Wolfe in the narrative. Why did Hugh refuse a lawyer? Who was appointed to represent him? Do you think this lawyer did an adequate job? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the language style and narrative point of view in “Life in the Iron Mills.” Who is the narrator of the story? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited? How does the dialogue of the story differ from the expositional style?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and discuss the correlations between Rebecca Harding Davis’s early childhood and the settings and themes in “Life in the Iron Mills.” Where do you think Rebecca derived the characters from the story? How is the setting similar to Rebecca’s childhood home?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)