|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman walking with George across the lawn as Anne drowses in the beginning of “Anne”?
2. What does the narrator say her husband bought after their marriage, “thinking to please me,” in “The Wife’s Story”?
3. The narrator in “The Wife’s Story” says there had been a time when she had dreamed of achieving whose stature?
4. What does the man on the train refer to Mrs. Palmer’s father’s name as in “Anne”?
5. What Jacky’s last name in “The Wife’s Story”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mrs. Palmer encounters George Forbes on the train in “Anne”?
2. When and why did Hester’s marriage begin to change in “The Wife’s Story”?
3. How is Hester’s departure from her family described in “The Wife’s Story”?
4. What “big decision” does Mrs. Palmer make in “Anne”? Why?
5. Where does Mrs. Palmer travel in “Anne”? How does she fund her travels?
6. What does the narrator note about the character of Mrs. Palmer in the ending of “Anne”?
7. How would you describe the character of Hester in “The Wife’s Story”? What information is established about Hester in the opening of the story?
8. What happens to Mrs. Palmer in the denouement of “Anne”?
9. What conflict arises in “The Wife’s Story” relating to Hester’s musical ambitions?
10. What consumes Mrs. Palmer’s thoughts when her character is introduced in “Anne”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Hester Manning in “The Wife’s Story.” About how old do you imagine Hester to be? How does Hester describe her childhood and her relationship to her family? How does Hester feel about her husband and stepchildren?
Essay Topic 2
a. Discuss the plot structure of stories in the collection. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How do the stories in the collection compare with other works written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Davis’s writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of women’s roles and expectations seen in “Anne.” How do these roles represent disappointment for Mrs. Palmer? How does she justify leaving behind her duties as mother? Are her actions admirable? Why or why not?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)