|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A few weeks prior to when the narrator and her husband moved in “The Wife’s Story,” she describes a cool morning in what month?
2. The narrator describes the home she lives in with her husband by the river as being what color of farmhouse in “The Wife’s Story”?
3. The narrator says that in the long carriage rides she took with her husband in their first six months of marriage, she used to “succeed in coaxing him imperceptibly back to talk of his life” where?
(d) South America
4. The narrator in “The Wife’s Story” says she grew up in what state?
(a) New Hampshire
5. The narrator in “The Wife’s Story” says that her husband and his family were all born where?
(a) The East
(d) The West
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Palmer awakens, her servant tells her that who is at the house looking for his money in “Anne”?
2. The narrator describes “Jacky’s rough voice” as being like what in “The Wife’s Story”?
3. What is the name of the narrator’s husband’s youngest son in “The Wife’s Story”?
4. Who was the supposed author of The Imitation of Christ?
5. Mrs. Palmer’s son tells her that who will bring the baby over for tea in the beginning of “Anne”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the character of Anne doing in the opening of the last story, “Anne”?
2. What does the narrator note about the character of Mrs. Palmer in the ending of “Anne”?
3. How does the plot of “Anne” relate to the life of author Rebecca Harding Davis?
4. What consumes Mrs. Palmer’s thoughts when her character is introduced in “Anne”?
5. What conflict arises in “The Wife’s Story” relating to Hester’s musical ambitions?
6. What “big decision” does Mrs. Palmer make in “Anne”? Why?
7. When and why did Hester’s marriage begin to change in “The Wife’s Story”?
8. What does Hester discover about her husband after she’s left him in “The Wife’s Story”?
9. What happens to Mrs. Palmer in the denouement of “Anne”?
10. Why is Hester’s family moving in “The Wife’s Story”? How does Hester feel about the move?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)