|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states in “Anne” that Mrs. Palmer once went all the way to Philadelphia to hear an Italian stroller named what?
2. What character on the train in “Anne” is said to be the “chairman of the Woman’s National Society for the Examination of Prisons”?
(a) Mrs. Sanders
(b) Mrs. Smith
(c) Mrs. Ames
(d) Miss James
3. The narrator learns in “The Wife’s Story” that her husband’s first wife was addicted to what?
4. By what pet name does the narrator recall her husband fondly calling her when they first married in “The Wife’s Story”?
5. On the morning that Mrs. Palmer awakens from her dream of youth in “Anne,” a letter arrives from Mrs. Palmer’s consignees named what in Philadelphia?
(a) Pierce and Wall
(b) Anderson and Williams
(c) Peters and Smith
(d) Kirby and John
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fruit does Mrs. Palmer’s farm produce in “Anne”?
2. What was Mrs. Palmer’s husband’s name in “Anne”?
3. What word used in “The Wife’s Story” means unrestrained?
4. Who is the woman walking with George across the lawn as Anne drowses in the beginning of “Anne”?
5. When Mrs. Palmer awakens, her servant tells her that who is at the house looking for his money in “Anne”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator note about the character of Mrs. Palmer in the ending of “Anne”?
2. What is the character of Anne doing in the opening of the last story, “Anne”?
3. What was the ultimate changing point in the marriage between Hester and Dr. Manning in “The Wife’s Story”?
4. When and why did Hester’s marriage begin to change in “The Wife’s Story”?
5. How would you describe the character of Hester in “The Wife’s Story”? What information is established about Hester in the opening of the story?
6. Where does Mrs. Palmer travel in “Anne”? How does she fund her travels?
7. What information does Jacky relate to Hester regarding Dr. Manning’s first wife in “The Wife’s Story”?
8. Who does Mrs. Palmer first encounter on the train in “Anne”? What is Mrs. Palmer’s reaction?
9. What happens to Mrs. Palmer in the denouement of “Anne”?
10. How is Hester’s departure from her family described in “The Wife’s Story”?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)