|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator describes her baby girl as what in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) A bounding ball of utter joy
(b) A weasel-faced little mortal
(c) A snaky and sneaky rascal
(d) A colicky and silent child
2. By what pet name does the narrator recall her husband fondly calling her when they first married in “The Wife’s Story”?
3. The narrator of “The Wife’s Story” recalls a time in Paris when she had gone to whose studio outside of the city to see her “Horse-Fair”?
(a) Hester Sander’s
(b) Elizabeth Taylor’s
(c) Deborah May’s
(d) Rosa Bonheur’s
4. The narrator in “The Wife’s Story” says she grew up in what state?
(c) New Hampshire
5. Mrs. Palmer’s son tells her that who will bring the baby over for tea in the beginning of “Anne”?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Palmer gets on a train going where after withdrawing her bonds at the trust company in “Anne”?
2. Where do the narrator and her husband live before they move in “The Wife’s Story”?
3. When Susan tries putting a shawl in Mrs. Palmer in “Anne,” Mrs. Palmer replies, “I am not in my dotage, child, that I cannot walk out without being wrapped up like” what?
4. Who was the supposed author of The Imitation of Christ?
5. What is Mrs. Palmer’s first name in “Anne”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the ending of “The Wife’s Story”? What happens to Hester?
2. How would you describe the character of Hester in “The Wife’s Story”? What information is established about Hester in the opening of the story?
3. What was the ultimate changing point in the marriage between Hester and Dr. Manning in “The Wife’s Story”?
4. What conflict arises in “The Wife’s Story” relating to Hester’s musical ambitions?
5. What does Hester discover about her husband after she’s left him in “The Wife’s Story”?
6. How does the plot of “Anne” relate to the life of author Rebecca Harding Davis?
7. What is Mrs. Palmer’s relationship to Anne in “Anne”?
8. What does the narrator note about the character of Mrs. Palmer in the ending of “Anne”?
9. Who does Mrs. Palmer first encounter on the train in “Anne”? What is Mrs. Palmer’s reaction?
10. What information does Jacky relate to Hester regarding Dr. Manning’s first wife in “The Wife’s Story”?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)