|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator describes the home she lives in with her husband by the river as being what color of farmhouse in “The Wife’s Story”?
2. Who does the narrator’s husband say used to trot Jacky “on his knee on the school-house steps” when she was a baby in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) James Matthews
(b) Denver Wilson
(c) Jim Arndt
(d) Peter Orwell
3. A few weeks prior to when the narrator and her husband moved in “The Wife’s Story,” she describes a cool morning in what month?
4. What is the name of the narrator’s husband’s old nag that she can hear neighing in the stables in “The Wife’s Story”?
5. Who is coming to have tea with Mrs. Palmer’s daughter Susan in the beginning of “Anne”?
(a) Jasper Tyrell
(b) Mr. Kirby
(c) Joe Hill
(d) Neff Sanders
6. The narrator says that in the long carriage rides she took with her husband in their first six months of marriage, she used to “succeed in coaxing him imperceptibly back to talk of his life” where?
(d) South America
7. The narrator describes her baby girl as what in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) A bounding ball of utter joy
(b) A weasel-faced little mortal
(c) A snaky and sneaky rascal
(d) A colicky and silent child
8. Robert is said to have what profession in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) He is a butcher
(b) He is a preacher
(c) He is a lawyer
(d) He is a doctor
9. What character on the train in “Anne” is said to be the “chairman of the Woman’s National Society for the Examination of Prisons”?
(a) Mrs. Sanders
(b) Miss James
(c) Mrs. Smith
(d) Mrs. Ames
10. Where does Mrs. Palmer and her family life in “Anne”?
11. What does the narrator of “Anne” say that Anne had “ever since she was a baby, and felt it as she did her blood from her feet to her head, and triumphed and was happy in it”?
(a) A lofty inheritance
(b) Emotional strength
(c) Great beauty
(d) Powerful wisdom
12. When Mrs. Palmer returns from walking in the woods, Susan tells her she must take “four grains of quinine and” what when going to bed in “Anne”?
(a) A cookie
(b) A dram of whisky
(c) A hot lemonade
(d) A spoon of cough syrup
13. What does Jacky take out from her pocket and show the narrator when she discusses the narrator’s husband’s past in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) A morocco case
(b) A wool mitten
(c) A leather briefcase
(d) An alligator suitcase
14. What was Mrs. Palmer’s husband’s name in “Anne”?
(a) Neff Palmer
(b) Joe Palmer
(c) Job Palmer
(d) James Palmer
15. How long after her marriage does the narrator of “The Wife’s Story” say she and her husband moved?
(a) 3 months
(b) 2 and ½ years
(c) 18 months
(d) 5 months
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mrs. Palmer awakens, her servant tells her that who is at the house looking for his money in “Anne”?
2. Mrs. Palmer remembers when she wakes up in “Anne” that George Forbes is now what?
3. What is Mrs. Palmer’s first name in “Anne”?
4. What does the narrator of “The Wife’s Story” say was the work of her life prior to her marriage?
5. What kind of fruit does Mrs. Palmer’s farm produce in “Anne”?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)