|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mrs. Palmer’s husband’s name in “Anne”?
(a) Job Palmer
(b) Joe Palmer
(c) James Palmer
(d) Neff Palmer
2. What character on the train in “Anne” is described as a “fat hunched man with the greasy black whiskers and gaudy chain”?andrew
(a) George Forbes
(b) Job Palmer
(c) Mr. Corvill
3. What word used in “The Wife’s Story” means unrestrained?
4. The narrator says that in the long carriage rides she took with her husband in their first six months of marriage, she used to “succeed in coaxing him imperceptibly back to talk of his life” where?
(b) South America
5. By what pet name does the narrator recall her husband fondly calling her when they first married in “The Wife’s Story”?
6. When Mrs. Palmer awakens, her servant tells her that who is at the house looking for his money in “Anne”?
(a) The funeral director
(b) The carriage driver
(c) The mayor
(d) The coal-man
7. The narrator of “The Wife’s Story” says “It will be enough for me to give you the history of one day, - that of our first coming to” where?
8. The narrator of “The Wife’s Story” recalls a time in Paris when she had gone to whose studio outside of the city to see her “Horse-Fair”?
(a) Rosa Bonheur’s
(b) Hester Sander’s
(c) Deborah May’s
(d) Elizabeth Taylor’s
9. How many children did the narrator’s husband have from his first marriage in “The Wife’s Story”?
10. The narrator describes the home she lives in with her husband by the river as being what color of farmhouse in “The Wife’s Story”?
11. The narrator describes a white bust of whom in the library of their home in “The Wife’s Story”?
12. The narrator describes her baby girl as what in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) A snaky and sneaky rascal
(b) A bounding ball of utter joy
(c) A colicky and silent child
(d) A weasel-faced little mortal
13. Mrs. Palmer tells her daughter in “Anne,” “I do not like to see pressed leaves and grasses about in vases. It is like making ornaments of hair cut from” what?
(a) Faded animals
(b) Dead animals
(c) A dead body
(d) Ugly tinsel
14. Mrs. Palmer gets on a train going where after withdrawing her bonds at the trust company in “Anne”?
(d) New York
15. Mrs. Palmer tells her daughter Susan that she dreamed she was how old again in the beginning of “Anne”?
Short Answer Questions
1. About how old does Mrs. Palmer appear when she looks in the mirror after awakening in “Anne”?
2. The narrator describes “Jacky’s rough voice” as being like what in “The Wife’s Story”?
3. What is the name of the narrator’s husband in “The Wife’s Story”?
4. What is the name of the narrator’s husband’s old nag that she can hear neighing in the stables in “The Wife’s Story”?
5. What is Mrs. Palmer’s first name in “Anne”?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)