|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what pet name does the narrator recall her husband fondly calling her when they first married in “The Wife’s Story”?
2. What kind of fruit does Mrs. Palmer’s farm produce in “Anne”?
3. What is the name of the narrator’s husband in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) Dr. Manning
(b) Mr. Mason
(c) Dr. Anderson
(d) Dr. Smithfield
4. The narrator describes “Jacky’s rough voice” as being like what in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) A vulture’s
(b) A canary’s
(c) The cuckoo’s
(d) A siren’s
5. What character on the train in “Anne” is described as a “fat hunched man with the greasy black whiskers and gaudy chain”?andrew
(a) George Forbes
(b) Mr. Corvill
(c) Job Palmer
6. What is the narrator’s name in “The Wife’s Story”?
7. What is the name of the narrator’s husband’s old nag that she can hear neighing in the stables in “The Wife’s Story”?
8. Mrs. Palmer remembers when she wakes up in “Anne” that George Forbes is now what?
(a) A famous painter
(b) An opera singer
(c) A famous author
(d) A sculpture artist
9. The narrator states in “Anne” that Mrs. Palmer once went all the way to Philadelphia to hear an Italian stroller named what?
10. Who does the narrator’s husband say used to trot Jacky “on his knee on the school-house steps” when she was a baby in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) Denver Wilson
(b) Jim Arndt
(c) Peter Orwell
(d) James Matthews
11. When Mrs. Palmer awakens, her servant tells her that who is at the house looking for his money in “Anne”?
(a) The carriage driver
(b) The mayor
(c) The coal-man
(d) The funeral director
12. The narrator learns in “The Wife’s Story” that her husband’s first wife was addicted to what?
13. What is Mrs. Palmer’s first name in “Anne”?
14. The narrator of “The Wife’s Story” says “It will be enough for me to give you the history of one day, - that of our first coming to” where?
15. When Mrs. Palmer returns from walking in the woods, Susan tells her she must take “four grains of quinine and” what when going to bed in “Anne”?
(a) A cookie
(b) A dram of whisky
(c) A spoon of cough syrup
(d) A hot lemonade
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jacky’s relationship to the narrator’s husband in “The Wife’s Story”?
2. The narrator of “The Wife’s Story” recalls a time in Paris when she had gone to whose studio outside of the city to see her “Horse-Fair”?
3. How many children did the narrator’s husband have from his first marriage in “The Wife’s Story”?
4. What word used in “The Wife’s Story” means unrestrained?
5. What Jacky’s last name in “The Wife’s Story”?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)