|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator’s husband say used to trot Jacky “on his knee on the school-house steps” when she was a baby in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) Denver Wilson
(b) Jim Arndt
(c) Peter Orwell
(d) James Matthews
2. What does the narrator say her husband bought after their marriage, “thinking to please me,” in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) A wig
(b) A ring
(c) A monocle
(d) A cape
3. When Susan tries putting a shawl in Mrs. Palmer in “Anne,” Mrs. Palmer replies, “I am not in my dotage, child, that I cannot walk out without being wrapped up like” what?
(a) A child
(b) A monkey
(c) A Siberian
(d) An Eskimo
4. The narrator describes a white bust of whom in the library of their home in “The Wife’s Story”?
5. When Mrs. Palmer awakens, her servant tells her that who is at the house looking for his money in “Anne”?
(a) The coal-man
(b) The funeral director
(c) The mayor
(d) The carriage driver
6. What kind of fruit does Mrs. Palmer’s farm produce in “Anne”?
7. What does the narrator of “Anne” say that Anne had “ever since she was a baby, and felt it as she did her blood from her feet to her head, and triumphed and was happy in it”?
(a) Powerful wisdom
(b) A lofty inheritance
(c) Great beauty
(d) Emotional strength
8. What does the man on the train refer to Mrs. Palmer’s father’s name as in “Anne”?
(a) Judge Anderson
(b) Judge Sinclair
(c) Judge Smith
(d) Judge Peters
9. Mrs. Palmer’s son tells her that who will bring the baby over for tea in the beginning of “Anne”?
10. Where had Mrs. Palmer made investments in the West, according to the narrator of “Anne”?
(c) The Dakotas
11. What is the narrator’s name in “The Wife’s Story”?
12. What is the name of Mrs. Palmer’s son in “Anne”?
13. Where do the narrator and her husband live before they move in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) New York
14. Who is coming to have tea with Mrs. Palmer’s daughter Susan in the beginning of “Anne”?
(a) Mr. Kirby
(b) Joe Hill
(c) Neff Sanders
(d) Jasper Tyrell
15. How many children did the narrator’s husband have from his first marriage in “The Wife’s Story”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word used in “The Wife’s Story” means unrestrained?
2. The narrator in “The Wife’s Story” says there had been a time when she had dreamed of achieving whose stature?
3. Where does Mrs. Palmer and her family life in “Anne”?
4. The narrator of “The Wife’s Story” says “It will be enough for me to give you the history of one day, - that of our first coming to” where?
5. The narrator says that in the long carriage rides she took with her husband in their first six months of marriage, she used to “succeed in coaxing him imperceptibly back to talk of his life” where?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)