|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Wife's Story.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the jailer in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
2. The mill-owner’s son tells his companions in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “If I had the making of men, these men who do the lowest part of the world’s work should be” what?
(d) Put out of their misery
3. What nonprofit literary publisher published Life in the Iron Mills and Other Stories, including “A Biographical Interpretation”?
(a) Amazon Publishing Company
(b) Simon and Schuster
(c) The Feminist Press
(d) Penguin Books
4. According to the author of “A Biographical Interpretation,” Rebecca Harding Davis wrote an article speaking out against what movement?
(a) The American Realism movement
(b) The prohibition movement
(c) The abolitionist movement
(d) The women’s rights movement
5. What Jacky’s last name in “The Wife’s Story”?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator learns in “The Wife’s Story” that her husband’s first wife was addicted to what?
2. One of the visiting men tells the owner’s son at the mill in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “If it were not that you must have heard it so often, I would tell you that your works looks like” what?
3. Mitchell says of the laborers at the iron mill in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “Let them have a clear idea of the rights of the soul, and I’ll venture next week they’ll” what?
4. Where was “Life in the Iron Mills” first published?
5. What word does the narrator use in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills” to refer to a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)