|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Biographical Interpretation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rebecca Harding Davis was the eldest of how many children in her family?
2. The narrator in “Life in the Iron Mills” says that it is nearly how long since the Wolfes lived in the boarding house in the beginning of the story?
(a) 4 years
(b) 10 years
(c) 30 years
(d) 20 years
3. The mill where Hugh works in “Life in the Iron Mills” is described as being by the river and how far below the city-limits?
(a) 1 mile
(b) ½ mile
(c) 2 miles
(d) 10 miles
4. What is the mill-owner’s son’s reply in French when Dr. May asks him, “Have you many such hands as this? What are you going to do with them? Keep them at puddling iron?”
(a) Ce n’est pas mon affaire
(b) Laissez les bons temps roules
(c) Ce n’est pas les bons temps
(d) Laissez faire
5. Mitchell claims in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “Reform is born of need, not” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author of “A Biographical Interpretation” supposedly find a collection of Rebecca Harding Davis’s works?
2. What word does the narrator use to describe Hugh Wolfe’s infancy in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
3. Mitchell says of the laborers at the iron mill in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “Let them have a clear idea of the rights of the soul, and I’ll venture next week they’ll” what?
4. What is the name of the overseer that comes with the visiting men to the mill in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
5. Doctor May reads Hugh’s sentence to his wife from the newspaper how long after the night when they discussed the sculpture in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)