|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Life in the Iron Mills.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word used in “Life in the Iron Mills” refers to a crystalline alkaloid used as a pesticide?
2. What Greek goddess of love and beauty does the narrator describe a sculpture of in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
3. Where does Deborah hide the money she’s stolen when Hugh falls asleep after they’ve arrived home from the mill in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) In her apron pocket
(b) In her jewelry box
(c) In Hugh’s pocket
(d) In the attic
4. What word from “Life in the Iron Mills” means given or characterized by joking?
5. What does Deborah begin to eat for dinner after returning from the cotton mill in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) Boiled potatoes
(b) Haggis and rice
(c) Pork sausage
(d) Boiled cabbage
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes the mill workers in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills” as “laired in by day in dens of drunkenness and” what?
2. How many centuries ago does the narrator describe Christ rising up from the people in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
3. Janey tells Deborah that “the father” is in the stone house with whom in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
4. Where does the narrator say she keeps the korl statue in the end of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
5. What word does the narrator use to refer to a nickname in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)