|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Life in the Iron Mills.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of bird does the narrator describe chirping desolately beside her in a cage in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) A parrot
(b) A sparrow
(c) A canary
(d) A parakeet
2. What Latin phrase, translated as “Hungry and thirsty, his soul faints him” is used in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) Clamat au arian
(b) De profundis clamavi
(c) Semper fidelis
(d) Scribet et libret
3. The mill where Hugh works in “Life in the Iron Mills” is described as being by the river and how far below the city-limits?
(a) 10 miles
(b) 1 mile
(c) ½ mile
(d) 2 miles
4. Of Hugh Wolfe, the narrator says in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “His soul within him was smothering to death; he wanted so much, thought so much, and knew” what?
(a) Only art
(b) So little
(c) Only himself
5. What broken figure does the narrator describe as “pointing upward from the mantle shelf” in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) A tiger
(b) A lion
(c) An angel
(d) A goddess
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Deborah return home from the cotton mill in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
2. Of whom does the narrator say Hugh had found “a Man all- knowing, all-seeing, crowned by Nature, reigning” in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
3. Of the now shutting-down iron mill, Mitchell says in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “One could fancy these red smoldering lights to be the half-shut eyes of wild beasts, and the spectral figures their” what?
4. What night of the week is it that Deborah brings Hugh his dinner at the mill in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
5. The narrator says in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “About this man Mitchell hung the impalpable atmosphere belonging to the” what?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)