|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Life in the Iron Mills.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The church that Hugh enters on the night he decides to keep the money is described by the narrator of “Life in the Iron Mills” as what?
(a) A somber Gothic pile
(b) An epic cathedral
(c) A medieval rapture
(d) A Gregorian haunt
2. The mill where Hugh Wolfe works makes iron for what in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) War weaponry
(c) Steam ships
3. Who throws Deborah money as the visiting men at the mill depart in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) Mr. Kirby
(b) Mr. Wolfe
(c) Mr. Clarke
(d) Mr. Mitchell
4. What does Deborah begin to eat for dinner after returning from the cotton mill in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) Pork sausage
(b) Haggis and rice
(c) Boiled potatoes
(d) Boiled cabbage
5. What kind of tobacco does the narrator describe the drunken Irishmen puffing on in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) Williamsburg tobacco
(b) Lucky Strike tobacco
(c) Lynchburg tobacco
(d) Skydancer tobacco
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mitchell refer to as “the cure for all the world’s diseases” in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
2. Where do Deborah’s coworkers tell her there a ball tonight in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
3. Who is the town physician who comes with the visiting men to the mill in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
4. The narrator in “Life in the Iron Mills” describes Hugh Wolfe’s father as being an immigrant from where?
5. The narrator compares the “wild, eager face” of the sculpture in “Life in the Iron Mills” to what?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)