|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Biographical Interpretation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills” refers to the reader as “You, Egoist, or Pantheist, or” what?
2. When was Rebecca Harding Davis’s last essay, “The Disease of Money-Getting,” published?
3. What word from “Life in the Iron Mills” means the state of being at rest, calm, or asleep?
4. The church that Hugh enters on the night he decides to keep the money is described by the narrator of “Life in the Iron Mills” as what?
(a) A medieval rapture
(b) A Gregorian haunt
(c) An epic cathedral
(d) A somber Gothic pile
5. On what date did Rebecca Harding Davis die?
(a) September 29, 1910
(b) July 7, 1901
(c) October 3, 1896
(d) September 16, 1889
Short Answer Questions
1. Rebecca Harding and L. Clarke Davis became engaged how long after meeting?
2. What war caused Rebecca Harding Davis to set aside her writing for a time?
3. Where did Rebecca Harding Davis largely grow up?
4. Where did the author of “A Biographical Interpretation” supposedly find a collection of Rebecca Harding Davis’s works?
5. Dr. May says in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “That is true philosophy. Drift with the stream, because you cannot” what?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)