|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Wife's Story.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the lawyer that the judge appoints to Hugh Wolfe in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
(a) Mr. May
(b) Mr. Gibson
(c) Mr. Smith
(d) Mr. Clarke
2. What does Jacky take out from her pocket and show the narrator when she discusses the narrator’s husband’s past in “The Wife’s Story”?
(a) A morocco case
(b) A wool mitten
(c) An alligator suitcase
(d) A leather briefcase
3. A few weeks prior to when the narrator and her husband moved in “The Wife’s Story,” she describes a cool morning in what month?
4. Who was the publisher that accepted “Life in the Iron Mills” immediately and began a long friendship with Rebecca Harding Davis?
(a) William B. Peters
(b) James T. Fields
(c) Walker H. Macy
(d) James S. Stoudt
5. What night of the week is it that Deborah brings Hugh his dinner at the mill in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of Hugh Wolfe, the narrator says in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “His soul within him was smothering to death; he wanted so much, thought so much, and knew” what?
2. Who does the narrator’s husband say used to trot Jacky “on his knee on the school-house steps” when she was a baby in “The Wife’s Story”?
3. The narrator says in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “About this man Mitchell hung the impalpable atmosphere belonging to the” what?
4. What does Hugh use to commit suicide in jail in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
5. What does the narrator of “The Wife’s Story” say was the work of her life prior to her marriage?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)