|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are books regarded in the 13th century?
2. What is co-optation?
3. What is the purpose of the flying buttress?
4. Which two parties negotiated town charters?
5. What disaster befalls Troyes in 1180?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are pilgrimages? What do people use them for?
2. How is criminal justice handled in Troyes?
3. Discuss Middle Ages teaching methods.
4. How are Middle Ages masons inferior to Roman-era masons? How are they superior?
5. Where did the phrase "free mason" originate?
6. What is the process of ordeal?
7. Why do Crusades decrease in the 13th century and beyond?
8. What does a Middle Ages curriculum consist of?
9. How much of a danger is warfare to a city like Troyes?
10. How does a glazier create a stained glass window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 3 informs the reader about the importance of the burgher housewife.
1) Describe what duties the housewife is charged with.
2) How often might the housewife take a bath? Does she wear make up? Describe the housewife's hygiene and choices of clothing.
3) Describe the housewife's typical journey to the marketplace. Where does she stop? What must she be wary of? How is dinner prepared?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 13 discusses a rise in theater during this period.
1) Where does the revival of theater start? Give reasons why. What is a playlet?
2) Why is "L' Mystere d' Adam" important in the development of the theater? Describe the plot of "L' Mystere d' Adam."
3) Describe the narrative contents of the following: The Prophets, "Play of St. Nicholas," and "Le Courteois d' Arras."
Essay Topic 3
Ordinary craftspeople aspire to become wealthy and well-respected merchants.
1) Wool is a lucrative commodity. How is wool processed? Describe the multistep process.
2) What is the right of coinage, and who possesses the right? What is a denier? How does the right of coinage affect the denier?
3) What is society's view of moneylending? What is the Church's view of money-lending?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)