|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What immediately follows the sermon in a typical church service?
2. The tale "Flamenca" is an example of what type of book?
3. When did towns like Troyes first start being granted charters?
4. Who rules Champagne in the year 1250?
5. Which of the following forms of punishment had largely fallen out of favor by 1250 in Troyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What subject did Rutebauf write about in his poetry?
2. Describe a typical church service.
3. What disasters occur in Troyes in the 1180s?
4. How are Middle Ages masons inferior to Roman-era masons? How are they superior?
5. How were cathedrals paid for?
6. Where did the phrase "free mason" originate?
7. Describe how an army might try to siege a city like Troyes?
8. How do communes influence the matter of military service?
9. For what poetry is Thibaut IV most known for?
10. Why does a theater revival occur within the Church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 2 describes a typical burghers' home.
1) Describe the home of a typical burgher, including the various rooms, number of stories, and construction material used.
2) Describe a typical dinner. What manners are in force and what sort of eating utensils are available.
3) What is the significance of fireplaces, if any? Where is the fireplace located in a home?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 3 informs the reader about the importance of the burgher housewife.
1) Describe what duties the housewife is charged with.
2) How often might the housewife take a bath? Does she wear make up? Describe the housewife's hygiene and choices of clothing.
3) Describe the housewife's typical journey to the marketplace. Where does she stop? What must she be wary of? How is dinner prepared?
Essay Topic 3
Churches were important gathering places, for religious as well as secular purposes.
1) Describe the steps in a typical church service.
2) What is a Gregorian chant, and how did it represent an advance in music?
3) Relics are very important to the Church at this time. What are relics? Where are they stored? Describe the fraud inherent in the proliferation of relics.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)