|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A student at a university studies for how many years, typically?
2. "The Prophets" is an example of what?
3. What is co-optation?
4. What are fabliaux?
5. Which of the following did NOT lead to the decline of Troyes after 1250?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the notion of sainthood changing in the middle of the 13th century?
2. Describe a typical church service.
3. What remains today of Troyes?
4. How much of a danger is warfare to a city like Troyes?
5. How does a glazier create a stained glass window?
6. Why does a theater revival occur within the Church?
7. What are the stages of a Troyes fair?
8. What is the process of ordeal?
9. What did 12th century charters accomplish for towns like Troyes?
10. Where did the phrase "free mason" originate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Books and authors are the subject of Chapter 12.
1) Who are the Goliards? What kind of writing are they known for?
2) Describe the rise of the vernacular language. Why does this language begin to displace Latin? Which authors are associated with the vernacular?
3) Define the following types of literature, and give one example of an author and text for each type: Poetry, Prose, fabliaux, romance.
Essay Topic 2
Death and funerals are discussed in Chapter 5.
1) Discuss the importance of a detailed will. In absence of such a will, what is the danger?
2) What is penitence? How might dying individuals pursue penitence?
3) How is the body treated after death? Describe the funeral ceremony.
Essay Topic 3
Ordinary craftspeople aspire to become wealthy and well-respected merchants.
1) Wool is a lucrative commodity. How is wool processed? Describe the multistep process.
2) What is the right of coinage, and who possesses the right? What is a denier? How does the right of coinage affect the denier?
3) What is society's view of moneylending? What is the Church's view of money-lending?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)