|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who handles crimes involving members of the clergy?
2. Which one of the following is NOT one of the subjects of the trivium?
3. Why might a lord call upon his subjects to take up arms?
4. Which author is depended upon for the central texts to teach rhetoric in the cathedral school?
5. What is a proper subject for a Rutebauf poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How happened to Troyes after 1250?
2. What are theories of justice based upon in the 13th century?
3. How are mayors and town council members selected in Troyes?
4. What did 12th century charters accomplish for towns like Troyes?
5. For what poetry is Thibaut IV most known for?
6. What is the process of ordeal?
7. Why do Crusades decrease in the 13th century and beyond?
8. Why does a theater revival occur within the Church?
9. What disasters occur in Troyes in the 1180s?
10. What subject did Rutebauf write about in his poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leisure activities are explored in detail in Chapter 4.
1) Develop a list of leisure activities the typical peasant or merchant may indulge in.
2) What leisure activities are available for children?
3) What is the Church's view of leisure activities? Is their advice heeded or not by the majority of citizens?
Essay Topic 2
Medieval medicine has made advances since the Dark Ages, but it is still more religion than science.
1) According to medieval doctors, what is the body comprised of? Given that, what is the cause of illness?
2) What is astrology? How does astrology factor in to a doctor's profession?
3) Name three diseases in the High Middle Ages, and how a doctor might go about treating them.
4) How is mental illness viewed at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Death and funerals are discussed in Chapter 5.
1) Discuss the importance of a detailed will. In absence of such a will, what is the danger?
2) What is penitence? How might dying individuals pursue penitence?
3) How is the body treated after death? Describe the funeral ceremony.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)